mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Converting MOTIF ES files for printing scores"

Posted on: June 24, 2014 @ 12:08 PM
zenon
Total Posts:  78
Joined  08-21-2006

How do you export a file from the MOTIF to be printed in Sibelius or Finale? I’ve recorded a bunch of duets for flute and piano using the click as a metronome but have not quantized the notes. A publisher is interested in publishing them but I need to have them in a printable form - they’re asking for an .xml file. I hope I can save these out as MIDI files but will this work? Being that the music was not quantized will the scores look wonky because the notes aren’t exactly on the beat? I’d hate to have a simple passage be filled with a bunch of 64th notes or worse. Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanx - Zenon

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2014 @ 12:36 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry I don’t know Sibelius or Finale… I know you can do what you need in Cubase. (Yes, Cubase).

You are correct a .MID file of the data is all that is necessary.
In the Motif ES you can export the Sequence data as a .MID file by setting the FILE TYPE = SMF (Standard MIDI File)

Save it to a USB stick and shuttle it over to your computer.

You can drag and drop the file into Cubase (with the proper settings) and separate it to individual Tracks.

The SCORE feature in Cubase allows you to quantize how it looks without changing how you played it. Let me say that again because it is exactly what you want to hear: The SCORE feature in Cubase allows you to quantize HOW it LOOKS on the page without changing how you actually played it. And the final result will be an .XML file!!!

Because you are correct, most programs take your playing literally, and wind up placing 64th note rests (and worse)all over the page - they are too accurate. The clever folks at Steinberg looked at this issue and give you multiple tools to change how it appears on the page without changing your actually playing nuance. Because as you correctly surmise, if you make it LOOK GOOD in most notation programs it starts to sound like a 3rd Grader playing (all apologies to 3rd Graders you can swing...) ;-)

Hopefully you still have your copy of Cubase handy. Let us know before we step you through the process.

Check this out: this 6 minutes will make your entire day!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqDK2Rhpb3g

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2014 @ 01:02 PM
zenon
Total Posts:  78
Joined  08-21-2006

Thanx BadMister - I knew you’d have an answer. I have never used Cubase but I’ll have to give it a shot. I have only saved my MOTIF files as ALL or Song. I will try exporting as MIDI and see what happens.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2015 @ 05:38 PM
fintan
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-04-2015

Hi Bad Mister,

Thanks for the info on this and the youtube clip which is really good. When I drop the .mid file into Cubase, ( created on the MOX8 ) the score looks off by stuff being written way above or below the range it was actually played at. Multiple ledger lines.

I read “ You can drag and drop the file into Cubase (with the proper settings) and separate it to individual Tracks.” What are the proper settings?

Thanks,

Fintan.

[ Ignore ]