mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading SMF to a specific track in pattern."

Posted on: January 30, 2015 @ 02:12 AM
ptrmetro
Total Posts:  23
Joined  03-04-2009

I have my usb drive connected to my motif.
I am in pattern mode.
I want to load 4 different midi files to 4 different tracks in the same pattern, same section.
For example I want to load a different midi file in each track:
bass in Track 1
drum in Track 2
piano in Track 3
guitar in track 4.
All in the same section

How can I load different files in the same pattern?
I want to LOAD midi files to different tracks in the same pattern and same section. Not RECORDING Them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2015 @ 10:56 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Well, it’s not very intuitive because the manuals aren’t written like tutorials.

p. 184 in the Reference Manual discusses extracting phrases from songs to place them into patterns. This seems to be what you are looking for.

Phrases are used only in Pattern mode and can be hard to understand. When you are recording into a pattern, each recording you make creates a unique phrase and each track of each section can have it’s own phrase. However, phrases can be copied and reused between tracks and sections which is where all the usual confusion starts. For your purposes, you will not want to reuse any phrases. See p. 170 for more information about phrases and how to manage them.

To solve your problem, try this:

1. Load each SMF into an empty Song location (see p.247)

2. For each section of the SMF you want in your pattern, use the Get Phrase From Song job. You will need to do this as many times as needed until you have moved all the data.

3. If program change msgs are imbedded in the SMF, you may need to do additional edits to the Mixing to make sure appropriate voices are used to play the imported tracks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2015 @ 06:20 PM
ptrmetro
Joined  03-04-2009

“2. For each section of the SMF you want in your pattern, use the Get Phrase From Song job. You will need to do this as many times as needed until you have moved all the data.”

WOW!
Is that also true for “Twiddy Beats”?

Thank you so much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2015 @ 06:21 PM
ptrmetro
Joined  03-04-2009

“2. For each section of the SMF you want in your pattern, use the Get Phrase From Song job. You will need to do this as many times as needed until you have moved all the data.”

WOW!
Is that also true for “Twiddy Bit”?

Thank you so much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2015 @ 09:43 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

No, it does not apply to Twiddly Bits libraries.

Many SMF files are designed for use with General MIDI instruments. Theses files include MIDI messages at the beginning of the sequence to set up the proper voices for each track.

OK, which Twiddly libraries did you buy? The ones sold here at this site come with the Patterns already created, you do not want to use the SMFs! Copying pattern tracks between patterns is really simple.

Watch this video about using Twiddly Bits libraries that come with Motif Patterns. It’s focused on the Drums and Percussion library, but is applicable to libraries that include sequence data for non-percussion instruments as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2015 @ 03:20 PM
ptrmetro
Joined  03-04-2009

I bought the Funk version
The video link was really helpful.
Thanks a million.

[ Ignore ]