mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Are the “Full Motifation Special for MOXF” DVD’s useful without Windows/Mac?"

Posted on: January 27, 2015 @ 04:26 AM
MartinB105
Total Posts:  8
Joined  01-26-2015

Hey everyone!

I’m new to this forum and website.  I just bought my MOXF6 on Saturday and spent every available moment since playing with this amazing device and learning what it is capable of; it’s quite a step up from my 1997 PSR-330!

For now, I’m just trying to learn how to create my own musical compositions, but my eventual goal is to create soundtracks for my videogame development hobby projects.  I’m not doing anything professional; just stuff for fun.

Anyway, I’m in the small minority of people using Linux on my home PC.  Since Yahama provide no Linux support whatsoever, I was very impressed that the MOXF6 worked perfectly out of the box with Linux.  My PC immediately recognised it as five separate MIDI ports and an audio playback/recording interface; I didn’t even need to install any drivers or configure anything!

With regards to software, the popular sequencers such as Cubase, Logic and Reason are not available on Linux, so I’m using RoseGarden instead, which is a free alternative.  RoseGarden currently lacks an instrument definition for the MOXF, so I had to spend a couple of hours creating one myself using the MOXF Data List PDF for reference, but other than that, RoseGarden seems pretty capable of just about everything I’ll probably need for now.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone can advise me on the DVD’s in the bundle “Full Motifation Special for MOXF”.  Do the DVD’s depend much on Cubase and the other Yahama software included with the MOXF6, or are the DVD’s only focusing on the keyboard itself?  I’d like to learn more about the MOXF6, but I need to make sure the resources I’m using will be relevant to my situation.

I’d also like to know if it’s possible to purchase digital (downloadable) versions of the DVD’s instead of the physical copies?  Currently, the site is showing me a minimum shipping cost of $42.50 to the Netherlands.  I also don’t have a DVD drive in my PC, so a digital version would be much more convenient.

Cheers,
Martin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2015 @ 06:21 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Welcome!

Although I own an XF and not a MOXF, because I have purchased the equivalent XF materials some time ago, I have no qualms about wholeheartedly recommending these videos .  They will focus on the machine itself, not external gear or software.

Go to This Site to purchase the downloads individually.  They’ll cost a bit more than the DVD bundle you referenced, but you’ll make it back on the shipping.

In addition to the videos, you’ll find a lot of people here willing to help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2015 @ 07:18 AM
MartinB105
Joined  01-26-2015

Thanks for the link; just what I was looking for!  Do you happen to know if the website uses any DRM protection on these downloadable videos?  Since Linux doesn’t have any software to play DRM-protected files, I’d like to make sure they will actually work on my PC before buying them.

Anyway, I’m finding the MOXF6 pretty easy to understand so far, although I’m still pretty slow at actually doing things with it.  I guess I expected it to be more difficult after reading some of the reviews and experiences from new user that I’d read beforehand.  It probably doesn’t hurt that I just like to play around with buttons and things to see what happens. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2015 @ 11:22 AM
TiasDad
Total Posts:  45
Joined  04-12-2014

Hi Martin & welcome here (from the other forum)

I have the downloaded videos and they focus on getting the best out of the keyboard. There’s no DRM protection and they are downloaded in mp4 format so as long as you have the required linux compatible codecs, they should be good to go.

I had trouble learning from the manuals but find using the video’s in conjunction with the manuals, explains things a lot easier.

Here’s a demo of the second video ... http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/moxf_in_n_out_video_trailer

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2015 @ 02:52 PM
MartinB105
Joined  01-26-2015

Thanks.  I just got them.  Strange thing is, Firefox reported both downloads as “failed”, yet both videos seem to be fully downloaded and play fine right to the end (I forwarded them to check).  I’m going to start taking a proper look at one now. :)

[ Ignore ]