mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Best News from Yamaha at NAMM 2015"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: January 24, 2015 @ 01:04 AM
abdol
Total Posts:  318
Joined  05-30-2012

I do hope so but I doubt. I think the best model for Yamaha is to have running VSTs embedded in its synthesizers.
What’s the point in spending time and money in making instrument if a technology such as VSTi exist? Leave it to developers and musicians and they can come up with the best ones. Just make it a service and make a lot of money out of it:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/partner_products/pluginzone.html

It doesn’t have to be as powerful as a computer but let’s say each VST can take up to certain amount of CPU share and RAM. That shouldn’t be difficult but a development team which is unable to customize a linux version this team is also unable to embed VSTs as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2015 @ 03:08 PM
DNGmaestro
Total Posts:  45
Joined  10-08-2013
Venatt - 23 January 2015 06:57 PM

Just wanted to ask you, what is wrong with the Kronos sequencer ? let’s say compared to the Motif XF sequencer ?

I have both, and also the fantom g.

The kronos sequencer is an abortion. The kronos OS, interface and ease of use are completely horrible.
Completely unintuitive. It looks like something from 1996 and is also full of problems.
I was completely disapointed with that part.

As a worksation to create music and ideas (wich is what i use them for) the motif destroys it.

Interestingly, the fantom g is the oldest and completely destroys the motif xf in that regard.
It’s the only workstation that i would attempt to make a full song.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2015 @ 06:34 PM
selfymart
Total Posts:  52
Joined  03-30-2014
DNGmaestro - 24 January 2015 03:08 PM

Just wanted to ask you, what is wrong with the Kronos sequencer ? let’s say compared to the Motif XF sequencer ?

The kronos sequencer is an abortion. The kronos OS, interface and ease of use are completely horrible.
Completely unintuitive. It looks like something from 1996 and is also full of problems.

As a worksation to create music and ideas (wich is what i use them for) the motif destroys it.

Interestingly, the fantom g is the oldest and completely destroys the motif xf in that regard.

Yamaha and apple are working together to come up with next generation workstation.
Features include:
iOS based touch screen
Ability to import any type of sounds from any other popular workstation
SSD drives
Super artuculation from Tyros
Huge samples from arturia vintages synths
All samples from mashine
Drum pads
Hollowgram based keys and remote control
Internet access via wifi
Bluetooth
Thunderbolt
Usb4
Lightning connection
Hdmi
Removable keyboard to convert into a rack
Unimaginable karma and arpeggio for acompanion
List is too long

Then what do we do with this thing? It may do everything except may not allow us to make music because we will end up spending more time fixing n figuring things out

Just kidding with you all…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2015 @ 07:01 PM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004
selfymart - 24 January 2015 06:34 PM
DNGmaestro - 24 January 2015 03:08 PM

Yamaha and apple are working together to come up with next generation workstation.
Features include:
iOS based touch screen
Ability to import any type of sounds from any other popular workstation
SSD drives
Super artuculation from Tyros
Huge samples from arturia vintages synths
All samples from mashine
Drum pads
Hollowgram based keys and remote control
Internet access via wifi
Bluetooth
Thunderbolt
Usb4
Lightning connection
Hdmi
Removable keyboard to convert into a rack
Unimaginable karma and arpeggio for acompanion
List is too long

Then what do we do with this thing? It may do everything except may not allow us to make music because we will end up spending more time fixing n figuring things out

Just kidding with you all…

Do you know if it will have anti-gravity so it doesn’t need to use a keyboard stand ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2015 @ 12:05 AM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

Do you know if it will have anti-gravity so it doesn’t need to use a keyboard stand ?

Unfortunately, it’s not available on the 88-key model. The anti-gravity feature isn’t compatible with weighted keys.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2015 @ 12:08 AM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

I want to express my appreciation for 5pinDIN’s measured responses in these types of threads. I believe 5pinDIN maintains a civility here that helps maintain this XF forum’s invaluable shared-knowledge library.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2015 @ 12:28 AM
Stashman
Total Posts:  79
Joined  08-24-2014

+ 1 for the above post! 5PinDIN is an informative and valuable asset here on Motifator!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2015 @ 08:43 AM
keramox
Total Posts:  55
Joined  11-17-2012

Hey folks , HD Midi is coming and i think Yamaha will use it in a future design! I’m sure they have a “prototype” ready and will be released in 1-2 years...(estimated)!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2015 @ 02:20 PM
RobinVT
Total Posts:  210
Joined  01-16-2012

I love my Motif XF7 and it will continue to give me years of great sounds.  I will probably never live long enough to learn all there is to know about this instrument and its capabilities, so why would I want something new that would only confuse me that much more.  I guess as you age you become much more content with what you have and can appreciate it more and just enjoy the moment.  Viva La XF!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2015 @ 04:21 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

It’s quite wonderful how a machine can connect so many souls.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2015 @ 10:25 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Like 5Pin, I’m fortunate to have and XS and XF in my stash, along with 2 Korg boards and 1 Roland.  I started with Ensoniq products all those years ago. 

Many sound Comments (no pun intended) in this thread and while I may find a “missing this” now and then with my XF, I too, like another post, will likely never tap all the XF potential given my lowly status as a semipro musician (my professional status was a shrink). 

I’ve not found another forum quite as unique as this one. The fact that I can tap into this knowledge base and “converse” with industry pros is something I don’t take for granted. 

Love my Motifs......

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 07:14 AM
Machina
Total Posts:  63
Joined  09-13-2009
WesEXer - 23 January 2015 04:13 PM
5pinDIN - 23 January 2015 02:32 PM

I really don’t understand the clamoring for a new “Motif” (or whatever it might be called). If you’re unhappy with your current Motif, why was it purchased, and how could Yamaha be trusted to release a new model that you’d like/respect?

I’ll answer why: Because as time marches on, people expect more. The Motif is largely unchanged since 2007. The XF was an “Update”, but come on, it was a tweak at best.

Not that the Motif sounds “Bad”, but it’s really starting to show its age. Yamaha hasn’t had any proper VA in it’s machines since the EX5 and FS1R which would both be considered “long in the tooth” by now.

True, but you already have both the XF and a Kronos - I would think they would support each other nicely - why would you need “another Kronos” from Yamaha?

But I agree otherwise, the XF was basically an XS with “tweaks”. Flash is expensive, limited in capacity (can’t really import Kontakt instruments for example) and veeery slow to operate.

I wrote about this in another thread too, and I am happy with my XF - use it especially as a composing tool...Pattern Mode is the BEST - but the Motif line would greatly benefit from added synth “engines”. I’d be happy with just all old PLG boards included, Roland has done something similar with the FA line (including all SRX “cards” as downloads).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 07:36 AM
mikebengel
Total Posts:  86
Joined  03-16-2013

Lot’s of good perspective here guy’s.  It always seams like something new is better.  I’ve felt the burn of that before.  Let me just say.  I studied the Kronos for 6 months.  Wanted to justify getting one so bad.  Read the manual’s every day, went to GC and played with it whenever I could.  Though It seams to have alot of nice features on the surface there are quite a few issue’s I ended up having with them.  If you can believe this, the motifs ease of use and acoustic guitars won me out.  Now I know that it really could be alot simpler when it comes to working with the flash board.  Controls are spread out across the board rather than being crammed in on a 8” screen.  The kronos does sound amazing but it also suffers from lack of quality control, and possibly original design flaws with heat issues.  Which I’m sure are being addressed with the new kronos 2.  The motif is a dream for working out creative ideas and still sounds amazing.  Like all keyboards with their strengths and weakness, the Next generation motif will certainly be up to par with the same quality yamaha has presented in the past.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 01:04 PM
abdol
Joined  05-30-2012
mikebengel - 26 January 2015 07:36 AM

Lot’s of good perspective here guy’s.  It always seams like something new is better.  I’ve felt the burn of that before.  Let me just say.  I studied the Kronos for 6 months.  Wanted to justify getting one so bad.  Read the manual’s every day, went to GC and played with it whenever I could.  Though It seams to have alot of nice features on the surface there are quite a few issue’s I ended up having with them.  If you can believe this, the motifs ease of use and acoustic guitars won me out.  Now I know that it really could be alot simpler when it comes to working with the flash board.  Controls are spread out across the board rather than being crammed in on a 8” screen.  The kronos does sound amazing but it also suffers from lack of quality control, and possibly original design flaws with heat issues.  Which I’m sure are being addressed with the new kronos 2.  The motif is a dream for working out creative ideas and still sounds amazing.  Like all keyboards with their strengths and weakness, the Next generation motif will certainly be up to par with the same quality yamaha has presented in the past.

Well, first of all you CAN upgrade the guitar sounds on KRONOS to sth that MOTIF can never match just to go here:

https://shop.korg.com/kronossoundlibraries

Also I wouldn’t buy a keyboard for it’s guitar sound. Mainly Piano, ePiano, Clavi, Organ, synth pads and etc and in MOTIF they all suck really bad.

I don’t own a Kronos nor MOTIF XX but the interface of Kronos wasnt crammed when I tried my friend’s and in the store.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2015 @ 01:19 PM
abdol
Joined  05-30-2012

In addition to all said above here is demo of Kronos 2 by Katsunori UJIIE. It destroys MOTIF in a fraction of the light speed. No need to say anything.

Some people will say on MOTIF XX we can do anything we want. No go and SAMPLE those synth sounds and come back and I will discuss with you about your sampling and silly memory management skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG0QJ3bjfqk

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3