mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif ES how to reconnect Psu Wiring-Please Help!"

Posted on: January 19, 2015 @ 04:07 PM
phly23
Total Posts:  35
Joined  09-22-2008

I replaced a key in my first Motif~
No Excuse~

I didn’t document the red and white cable configuration (3 and 4 pin) to the PSU (motif ES)- ;( not even a sharpie to mark the connectors.  😒 loser!

If anyone happens to be able to help as for me to not deservedly blow up the board-

I have included a pic withthe pins connectors labled A B C D E F and the 3 cables in question: 1 2 3

So far:

Cable 1 from the opposite side of the chassis looks like it goes to B or C

Cable 2 is four pin on one end and 3 pin on the other- there is no opposing 3 pin possibility anywhere I can find!

Cable 3 is 4 pin to four pin and possibly bridges between A, B C or D?

Btw Connection D on the PSU is 5 pin and unless the 4 pin cable just connects to one side of it perhaps it was not being used?

I know this sounds confusing. I hope the pic helps.  I’ve searched and searched for internal pics or videos
And I think there might be a service manual .

I realize I might have to take it in to the shop so a real tech can shake his head and then pop them in.

I have taken many keyboards part to replace keys-ooops- no excuse! Believe me I am beating myself up about this !
-
Thanks Phly23

Image Attachments
MOTIF ES PSU.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2015 @ 06:26 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
phly23 - 19 January 2015 04:07 PM

[...]I have labeled the pins connectors A B C D E F and the 3 cables in question 1 2 3

So far:

Cable 1 from the opposite side of the chassis looks like it goes to B or C

Cable 2 is four pin on one end and 3 pin on the other- there is no opposing 3 pin possibility anywhere I can find!

Cable 3 is 4 pin to four pin and possibly bridges between A, B C or D?

Btw Connection D on the PSU is 5 pin and unless the 4 pin cable just connects to one side of it perhaps it was not being used?

I know this sounds confusing. I hope the pic helps.  I’ve searched and searched for internal pics or videos
And I think there might be a service manual .

I realize I might have to take it in to the shop so a real tech can shake his head and then pop them in.
I have taken many keyboards part to replace keys-ooops- no excuse! Believe me I am beating myself up about this !
-
Thanks Phly23

First, please stop beating yourself up, and calm down - panicking tends to lead to making mistakes.

I can’t guarantee that I can tell you where everything goes, but I won’t suggest anything that would tend to lead to smoke. Some additional information might help…

1) I have a copy of the ES6/7/8 Service Manual, but it seems to show a different PSU than what’s in your picture.
2) There are CN (connector) numbers next to the pin headers you’ve labeled A~F. As best I can tell from the picture, A corresponds to CN6, B to CN5, C to CN4, etc. Is that correct? If not, please give that information.
3) The cable you’ve labeled as “2” seems to be 3-pin at both ends, with neither end having 4. Is that an optical illusion?
4) Where does the other end of cable “1” go? Please trace it out and provide board identification and connector number at the still attached end. (Example: The DM board is to the right of the PSU in your picture - “DM” can be seen at the lower right.)
5) Near the corner of the DM board (where there’s a screw missing  ;-) ) is the connector for the DIMM power. It should be CN18 (lift the cable to look at the board) - where does the other end go?

Once you reply to the above, let’s see if we can make some progress.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2015 @ 08:47 PM
phly23
Joined  09-22-2008

5pindin:

Thanks for your reply!!

Ok, yes ok no worries p, -yet!  ;)

Ok so:
A through F
A=CN4
B=CN1
C=CN2
D=CN3
E=CN6
F=CN7

And you were right! 
CABLE. 2 is 3 pin to 3 pin....NOT 3 to 4 pin. Sorry.

Cable 1 is routed to the the main braid of cables so the other end is connected underneath on the right side where it hadn’t been accessed

The DN power connector is CN18 and it is connected to to that “Main braid” of cable do that is routed underneath the right side as well.  Hmmmmm isn’t it supposed to get power from the psu?
I better upload another pic.

In E pin on psu I have routed to CN 10 on the top dPS board on the right.

Sigh!
Thanks for your thoughts and or help!

Phly23

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2015 @ 10:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
phly23 - 19 January 2015 08:47 PM

5pindin:

Thanks for your reply!!

Ok, yes ok no worries p, -yet!  ;)

Ok so:
A through F
A=CN4
B=CN1
C=CN2
D=CN3
E=CN6
F=CN7

And you were right! 
CABLE. 2 is 3 pin to 3 pin....NOT 3 to 4 pin. Sorry.

Cable 1 is routed to the the main braid of cables so the other end is connected underneath on the right side where it hadn’t been accessed

The DN power connector is CN18 and it is connected to to that “Main braid” of cable do that is routed underneath the right side as well.  Hmmmmm isn’t it supposed to get power from the psu?
I better upload another pic.

In E pin on psu I have routed to CN 10 on the top dPS board on the right.

Sigh!
Thanks for your thoughts and or help!

Phly23

There’s a “PSSUB” board, and that’s where the DIMM power comes from - it starts out as +5 volts from the main PS and goes through a DC-to-DC conversion to 3.3 volts. The connection from the PS to the PSSUB appears to be via what you’ve labeled cable “1”.

I’m pretty sure I know where everything goes, but I’d like a bit more information before I tell you what I think…

I don’t know what you mean by “In E pin on psu I have routed to CN 10 on the top dPS board on the right.” - could you restate that?

Can I safely assume that this ES does not have an AIEB2 installed? See attachment.

Image Attachments
AIEB2.gif
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2015 @ 10:37 PM
phly23
Joined  09-22-2008

Yes thanks

So “E” on the PSU you can see I have a cable connected there. That is routed to the board that is mounted above the main CPU in the tray where it is labeled CN10. the reason i mention that is I starting to second guess that connection (even though the form and length of the cable is perfect)! i can take a photo of that as well and Ill see if I can append photos here.

Also yes this ES does not have an AIEB2 installed.

appreciate it

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2015 @ 11:27 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
phly23 - 19 January 2015 10:37 PM

Yes thanks

So “E” on the PSU you can see I have a cable connected there. That is routed to the board that is mounted above the main CPU in the tray where it is labeled CN10. the reason i mention that is I starting to second guess that connection (even though the form and length of the cable is perfect)! i can take a photo of that as well and Ill see if I can append photos here.

Also yes this ES does not have an AIEB2 installed.

appreciate it

You’re welcome.

PS CN6 connects to DMSUB CN10. According to what you wrote before, “E” is CN6, so that connection seems to be correct.

PS CN7 ("F") goes to AIEB2 CN2. Since there’s no AIEB2 installed, that explains why you couldn’t find a 3-pin connection. The loose cable should be held in a cable clip nearby. See page 286 of the ES Owner’s Manual.

PS CN4 ("A") goes to AIEB2 CN3. Cable “3” should have one end connected to CN4/"A", and the loose end retained along with the the 3-pin one.

PS CN1 ("B") goes to PSSUB CN501. Although you didn’t trace where cable “1” goes, that’s likely the remaining connection. So cable “1” apparently connects on CN1/"B".

The above is the best I can do, based on information from the Service Manual and what you provided. Since I’m not where you are, with test equipment to verify things, I can’t determine if some detail was left out of this discussion or the manual. I hope what I wrote helps, but how you make any connections is your own responsibility. If you have any doubts, take the ES to an authorized Yamaha technician. Don’t blame me if something goes wrong.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2015 @ 04:18 PM
phly23
Joined  09-22-2008

Success!!!
Powers up...no smoke! Lol
Yes so I followwd your info and studied the aieb2 config in the manual...so It all makes sense and with the aieb2 cables being plugged in and tied up...I’ll bet that night I disasebled it I saw how simple it was and decided I didn’t need to mark the connectors.... VINO will do that!!! Lol
I can’t thank you enough. If I may say I’m quite skilled in keyboards, piano and organ and pretty knowledgable (for the most part!) so if you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask… And I look forward to contributing and paying it forward to others on this great forum.

Well off to NAMM in Anehiem ...will go visit Yamaha first thing!!!
Cheers!!!
;)
Phly23

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2015 @ 11:54 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m glad it worked out, and that nothing sent up smoke signals - I make every effort to avoid that. ;-)

[ Ignore ]