mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "S70xs Voice EQ Change Not Reflected in Performances?"

Posted on: January 12, 2015 @ 07:11 PM
MrWhiteKeys
Total Posts:  39
Joined  09-23-2011

I’m still tring to get my sea legs with a new (to me) S70xs. I expected to be tweaking my go-to piano patch for a while but I needed to go ahead and set up several layered performances for a band I work with so instead of using a preset piano in the performances, I saved a piano into a user bank and used that for the performances.

My thinking was that any edits to the user bank piano would be reflected in all the performances where the patch was used.

Before sound check Saturday night, though, I edited the piano patch EQ to a much brighter sound using the 3 Band EQ in voice mode, but the performances using the patch didn’t reflect the new EQ. I wound up having to go through and edit the piano part EQ each performance.

I had initially tried using the Master EQ (Utility->Voice->Master EQ) to brighten up the whole instrument for the amp I was playing through but that didn’t seem to work for the performances, so I tried backing out the master EQ changes before moving on to the voice EQ. Maybe that change somehow messed things up?

So now I have things completely mucked up. I’ve messed with the gains and freq’s in the master EQ in utility mode, the patch EQ in voice mode, and a bunch of part EQ’s in performance mode, and I’m looking for some insight.

Ideally, I’d like to reset the master EQ and all the performance EQ’s back to default values (how? Just set all the gains to zero?) and figure out how to implement my original plan, i.e. use one user bank piano voice in a group of performances and have changes to the voice (including voice EQ) affect all the performances where the voice is used.

Any thoughts?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2015 @ 12:48 AM
MrWhiteKeys
Joined  09-23-2011

Nothing?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2015 @ 09:41 AM
dkupers
Total Posts:  8
Joined  09-19-2014

Some things to check:
- Remember you can only use the insertion effects of a voice in Performance-mode.
- When you assign a voice to a part, there’s an option called ‘use insertion effects’ or something like that. Did you select ‘on’ (default it’s off).

Also, read this document from sninety.com, it’s very helpfull: http://files.keyfax.com/download/S90XS/EFF101_XS.pdf

Greetings,
Dethmer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2015 @ 05:37 PM
MrWhiteKeys
Joined  09-23-2011

Dethmer, thanks for the reply and the link to the PDF. I’ll definitely read through it. The unit’s packed up for a move at the moment, but I’ll look into the insertion effects parameter when I get it set up again next week and can experiment more.

Is the 3-band voice EQ an insertion effect? My old S90 did have a 3-band EQ insertion effect, but if I remember right, I set the S70sx voice up to use the 3-band eq in the voice menu and didn’t assign an EQ as an insert in the effects setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2015 @ 08:09 AM
dkupers
Joined  09-19-2014

The 3band EQ is not an insertion effect, it belongs to the voice itself.

Just tried to do the same and indeed, the voice-EQ in Voice-mode is not used in Performance mode. Neither in Multi-mode (I checked).

It’s not directly mentioned in the PDF above, but according to the pictures on pages 1, 2 and 3 the EQ should be used, shouldn’t it? Also logically seen it should be used, for the same reason that insert effects of a voice can be used in performance mode.

EDIT: Just read the Reference Manual, on page 81 at ‘Param with voice’ (the option I mentioned in a previous reply) there’s no mention of the EQ…

So it’s probably by design.

Greetings,
Dethmer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 02, 2015 @ 01:03 AM
MrWhiteKeys
Joined  09-23-2011

Just got my synths set back up after moving house and am getting back to this issue this week.

I really appreciate your digging into this on my behalf. I still haven’t had a chance to read through the effects PDF, but just knowing that the voice EQ won’t travel with the voice into performance or multi mode is a tremendous help and that knowledge led me to try the VCM EQ 501 insertion effect with my master piano patch.

Happily, the insertion effect does stay with the patch in performance mode so I’ll definitely be able to get my global piano patch EQ’d now.

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2015 @ 12:32 PM
dkupers
Joined  09-19-2014

No problem! It kept me bothering;)

BadMister, any idea why the EQ get’s lost when a voice is used in a performance or multi?

[ Ignore ]