mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Panning Problem"

Posted on: December 10, 2014 @ 10:19 PM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004

I have a sequence/song that I created on my Motif XF, I exported it to WAV and loaded into iTunes on my MAC. On the sequence I created a click track for the drummer to play on top for live situations and recordings. On the mixer display I panned the click to the left and the rest of the music to the right so when playing live the click goes to the drummer’s earphones and the music goes to the speaker or my amp.

I don’t take my Motif XF to rehearsals or live situations because it’s to heavy and there’s no space for it, instead I take my super light weight USB Midi controller keyboard and my laptop.

The PROBLEM is that even though the click is panned on the left I can still hear it on the right at a lower volume but still sounds. Is there something I’m missing on the panning procedure on the Motif XF that will make it not sound on the right at ALL ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2014 @ 11:46 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The cause might be something as simple as System Effects blending the two channels a bit…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460898/

...or it could be a symptom of a hardware problem…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472531/

Also, is what you’re using for the click a mono sound?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2014 @ 01:31 PM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004
5pinDIN - 10 December 2014 11:46 PM

The cause might be something as simple as System Effects blending the two channels a bit…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460898/

...or it could be a symptom of a hardware problem…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472531/

Also, is what you’re using for the click a mono sound?

I created the click with a percussion sound and recorded it on track one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2014 @ 02:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

If you recorded the WAV directly to a USB drive on the XF, and the sound used for the click was panned hard to the left, what you experienced is likely due to System Effects. Turn them off, and make a new recording to verify.

If there’s still some leakage of the click into the right channel when played on your computer, it’s probably related to the how the computer audio is set up (make sure no effects are being applied, etc.) or a hardware issue with the computer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2014 @ 03:36 PM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004
5pinDIN - 11 December 2014 02:43 PM

If you recorded the WAV directly to a USB drive on the XF, and the sound used for the click was panned hard to the left, what you experienced is likely due to System Effects. Turn them off, and make a new recording to verify.

If there’s still some leakage of the click into the right channel when played on your computer, it’s probably related to the how the computer audio is set up (make sure no effects are being applied, etc.) or a hardware issue with the computer.

I’m playing the WAV File using iTunes on the MacBookPro, but I will try following your advise, I’ll let you know what happens!

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2014 @ 10:00 PM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004

Where do I turn off the system effects ? I only see the insertion effects on the mixing button section.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2014 @ 10:28 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011
Venatt - 18 December 2014 10:00 PM

Where do I turn off the system effects ? I only see the insertion effects on the mixing button section.

Here is an article that might help.
System Effects
BadMister’s Blog is a wealth of reading that sometimes just takes some skimming to find key words about a topic. :)

And In the SCREENSHOT below is what we adjust for overall system-wide effects that can be adjusted for room ambience etc but in your case everything there you can set to off. By doing this there would be no affect for the reverb or chorus knob adjustments for each individual track but for this case might be of some assistance. Also, be sure to uncheck the eight only available insertion boxes.
ADDED AFTER-
The percussion sound that you chose to record the click track
CANNOT be a stereo sample.
Many of the instrument samples of the XF are stereo samples.

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 8.13.49 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2014 @ 10:42 PM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004
AppleYamaha - 18 December 2014 10:28 PM

Here is an article that might help.
System Effects
BadMister’s Blog is a wealth of reading that sometimes just takes some skimming to find key words about a topic. :)

And In the SCREENSHOT below is what we adjust for overall system-wide effects that can be adjusted for room ambience etc but in your case everything there you can set to off. By doing this there would be no affect for the reverb or chorus knob adjustments for each individual track but for this case might be of some assistance. Also, be sure to uncheck the eight only available insertion boxes.
ADDED AFTER-
The percussion sound that you chose to record the click track
CANNOT be a stereo sample.
Many of the instrument samples of the XF are stereo samples.

Ok, I DOESN’T WORK, I already panned it to the left in that section and it still leaks to the right side. This is a major issue that Yamaha must correct. The problem originates on the Motif.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2014 @ 12:42 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Try this…

Press [MIXING]
Press [F1](Part 1-16)
Press the numbered button of the click sound Part [1]~[16]
Highlight Rev Send and set it to 0 (zero)
Highlight Cho Send and set it to 0 (zero)

If you have Insertion Effects turned on for the click Part, try turning them off as well. See [SF2] Ins Switch on page 193 of the XF Reference Manual.

STORE the Mix
Record the WAV to USB, etc.

Please let us know if the click still leaks to the other channel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2014 @ 06:12 PM
Venatt
Joined  07-11-2004
5pinDIN - 19 December 2014 12:42 AM

Try this…

Press [MIXING]
Press [F1](Part 1-16)
Press the numbered button of the click sound Part [1]~[16]
Highlight Rev Send and set it to 0 (zero)
Highlight Cho Send and set it to 0 (zero)

If you have Insertion Effects turned on for the click Part, try turning them off as well. See [SF2] Ins Switch on page 193 of the XF Reference Manual.

STORE the Mix
Record the WAV to USB, etc.

Please let us know if the click still leaks to the other channel.

I’m beginning to suspect that the problem might be with iTunes because when I put my headphone on the MotifXF I don’t hear the click on the right side(only music) but once its on iTunes it leaks to the other side. I am not completely sure but I suspect that is the problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2014 @ 07:01 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Venatt - 19 December 2014 06:12 PM

I’m beginning to suspect that the problem might be with iTunes because when I put my headphone on the MotifXF I don’t hear the click on the right side(only music) but once its on iTunes it leaks to the other side. I am not completely sure but I suspect that is the problem.

Thanks for getting back to us.

I’ve never experienced a channel separation problem with my XF, as long as stereo effects weren’t applied. If the XF’s audio output doesn’t exhibit the leakage, then I’d suggest trying to play the WAV file using a different computer audio application.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ updating the Motif xf OS
Next Topic:

Sampling question ››