mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PA Monitor with Motif XF8 Help!"

Posted on: December 16, 2014 @ 04:08 AM
sorout
Total Posts:  13
Joined  02-19-2012

I’m looking to connect a BEHRINGER EUROLIVE VP2520 to my Motif XF8, not for studio monitoring but at my home for morning/evening piano playing practice.. I need it to sound beautiful (not necessarily frequency accurate)… and I understand a PA Speaker won’t have a flat frequency response like the proper near field studio monitors (it will have a tendency to boost the bass of piano’s lower notes), so I will have to connect it via an EQ mixer to adjust the sound. Can someone help me through the process or if someone has already tried something like this…

what will I need to get a nice sound off of my Motif XF (or any digital piano for that matter) with PA Speakers at home.?

Suggested EQ mixer (cheap and small)?
Suggested PA Speaker(/s)?
Any other suggestion

Many thanks and Merry Xmas in advance !!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2014 @ 09:15 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

No need for a mixer. You can use the Master EQ of the XF to adjust the tone.

Don’t discount studio monitors. A pair mounted on stands close to the keyboard will work better than any PA speaker and there are many choices that will be in the price range of that Behringer.

You should go to a local dealer who carries many brands of speakers, in USA that would be a nearby Guitar Center.  Bring a CD or mp3 player of some sort (your phone?) loaded with some songs you are very familiar with. Play these songs through different speakers and pick the one which sounds the best.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2014 @ 12:06 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
sorout - 16 December 2014 04:08 AM

I’m looking to connect a BEHRINGER....

You mention “a” speaker.  Whatever you decide on, I would highly recommend you get two of them and run stereo...l believe you won’t be happy with your sound if you don’t.

BTW, that unit has a pretty beefy spec for home piano practice!  How loud do you play?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2014 @ 03:29 PM
sorout
Total Posts:  13
Joined  02-19-2012

not too loud, but I need it to sound uniform throughout- just as good at a distance as sitting close to it without having to buy expensive studio monitors… if I get the good sound from speakers, i may put them at a distance (say, 7-8 feet out, facing the roof). I was wondering if I can connect two PA speakers to the motif like other regular studio monitors? and what else will I have to keep in mind before embarking on this little adventure?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2014 @ 04:16 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Yes, (2) powered speakers of whichever variety you choose will connect in the same fashion.

Although I use (2) Yamaha DXR10’s for live performance monitoring with my XF8 multi-keyboard rig (6-piece band), I use (2) Behringer Eurolive B205D’s with my Yamaha CP4 in my practice setup.

I have attached a couple of photos.  Note the additional use of a subwoofer, which is a key component when using small near-field speakers.  It doesn’t require much signal from the sub, but it really helps produce a very satisfying low-end tone.

I have dialed in an excellent, natural piano sound with this setup, which never strains for the way it is used...same as the way you say you’ll use yours.

Image Attachments
IMG_1170.JPGIMG_1171.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Desperately seeking decent stage lighting
Next Topic:

Stereo stage monitors ››