mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF tone generator compared to Tyros 5’s"

Posted on: November 26, 2014 @ 06:37 AM
Raven80
Total Posts:  110
Joined  11-26-2014

Hello,

I was searching on the Internet but didn’t find a real/clear answer.
Does the Motif XF have the same tone generator as the Tyros 5?
If not, is the one of the Motif XF “better”?

Thank you for any help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2014 @ 10:38 AM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

welcome.
great question.
disclaimer: I am no authority. I have an XF. never played a T5.

that said, I wonder the same thing.
I have read the following:
-the T5 has better sounds for some instruments.
-the sounds compared are different (different as opposed to better).

there are some very interesting threads here on the forum regarding this topic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2014 @ 05:46 PM
joesax
Total Posts:  185
Joined  03-11-2009

I have a Motif XF and a Tyros 3. The sound Generators are very different. The Acoustic Voices on a Tyros, especially the SA and SA2 Voice, are fantastic and superior to the Motif.

These are two very different instruments. The Motif is a workstation and the Tyros an Arranger. Having both is wonderful. I much prefer the Motif Arp concept to the Tyros Styles. Since I use a lot of Acoustic voices: Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Trumpet, Flute, Guitar and String sections the Tyros is invaluable. However the Motif Pianos and Drums are better. Plus the Arp concept allows infinite arrangements while the Tyros styles are fixed with limited customization.

Also the overall sound is superior on the Motif. It is more live while the Tyros has a smoother CD sound quality.

And Synths, PADs and Electic Guitars and Pianos are much better on the Motif.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2014 @ 05:05 AM
Raven80
Joined  11-26-2014

Thank you for your replies!

I assume it is more important/depends on which kind of music somebody wants to produce rather than which instrument sounds “better”.
I, personally, like Synth sounds (Leads, Pads), Electric sounds and Drums/Percs more than Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Trumpet, Flutes etc.

Probably if somebody wants to produce Electronical music and dance music, he might have better chances with the Motif XF than with the Tyros 5.

Best regards

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2014 @ 06:28 PM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

quick thoughts regarding sounds/Voices on my Motif XF.
there are a large number of Voices on it.
I have in the past, rejected some Voices, without really giving them a fair chance.
and then one day later on, find that the same Voice that I thought was lousy, turns out to be absolutely freakin crazy wonderful.
it has happened more than once.
also, it can be the case, sometimes, that if I am playing a Performance, the default volume settings might have a certain Voice not loud enough for me to give that Voice a fair listen.
so adjusting the Voice volumes can be necessary.
hey, bottom line, I know that all of this is subjective.
I do not like a lot of the Voices.
but the ones that I do, well, you know, they are absolutely breathtakingly wonderful.
and I am keep finding more. oh yeah!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 06:24 AM
Raven80
Joined  11-26-2014

Hi,

I hope when you adjust the volume (or other settings) of a voice, this setting gets saved?
Because on my PSR-E443 keyboard I have to do it and do it again for all voices.

Best regards

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2014 @ 07:20 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Raven80 - 28 November 2014 06:24 AM

Hi,

I hope when you adjust the volume (or other settings) of a voice, this setting gets saved?
Because on my PSR-E443 keyboard I have to do it and do it again for all voices.

Best regards

Any USER edits to a Preset VOICE will only be saved if you STORE the VOICE as a USER VOICE to a USER location.  Preset VOICES remain intact.

Edits to USER VOICES can be preserved by STORING the VOICE, which will overwrite the previous version if STORED to the same USER location, or create a new VOICE if named and STORED to a new USER location.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2014 @ 12:40 PM
pjd
Total Posts:  63
Joined  11-16-2013

Hi Raven80 -

It depends on what you mean by “tone generator.” Some of the Tyros models use the same Yamaha tone generation chip (SWP51L) as the Motif XS and MOX/MOXF. (I haven’t looked under the hood of the XF or T5.)

Through software, Yamaha creates a full tone generation system based on the low-level hardware. In this sense, yep, the Tyros and the Motif/MOX are quite different. There are similarities between SA and Expanded Articulation (XA) although they are controlled quite differently. The Tyros does more analysis of incoming MIDI notes including timing analysis.

SA and XA are similar technology, but SA2 is different beast altogether. SA2 uses the results of the analysis to select and stitch together articulation waveforms using cross-fading and other techniques to get a natural, controllable vibrato.

On your PSR-E443, you should be able to save your voice settings to a registration memory. It’s not as flexible as saving individual voices, but it could save some work.

Hope this helps - pj

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Need to update Motif OS
Next Topic:

Fill in in Pattern mode available? ››