mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using the knobs to control some or all parts at once"

Posted on: November 21, 2014 @ 10:26 PM
mjchase
Total Posts:  2
Joined  09-27-2014

I have a MOXF 6 and another weighted keyboard, and I’m trying to set up a song and mixing where I have a piano sound on MIDI channel 1, which I will play from my weighted keyboard, and several different pad sounds on different MIDI channels, which I will play from the MOXF and I will switch between by using buttons 1-16 in Track Select mode. I want to use AS1/AS2 and AF1/AF2 to toggle and adjust effects on my piano sound, and I want to be able to always do this regardless of which track I might be playing from the MOXF’s keyboard.

According to page 12 of the Owner’s Manual, I should be able to use the knobs to affect all parts at once:

Pressing this button changes the functions assigned to Knobs
1 – 4 (on the upper row). The lamp next to the currently active
parameters will light. In the Voice mode, the function of each
knob is applied to the current Voice; in the Performance/Mixing
mode, the function of each knob is applied only to the currently
selected Part or to all Parts (depending on the setting via the
[COMMON] and [PART SELECT] buttons).

I can’t figure out how to do this though. Whenever I turn the knobs with any track other than my piano track selected, the knobs either affect the current track, if the track number and MIDI channel match, or seemingly do nothing if the track number and MIDI channel don’t match (probably an artifact of how I set up the MIDI channels in the song and in the mixing). In the latter case, they do bring up the popup which shows the saved and current state of parameters, but not for track 1, and turning the knobs doesn’t actually change the values). When I’m on track 1, however, which is also assigned to MIDI channel 1, I’m able to control the piano effects as I expect.

How do I get the knobs to affect all tracks (so I could then use the MIDI filters to get my pad sounds to ignore the messages), making the knobs only affect the piano effects regardless of which track is active? I don’t want to switch tracks every time I want to tweak an effect.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2014 @ 11:20 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

If I understand your question correctly:

With the [COMMON] Edit button lit (Button 37, MOXF Owner’s Manual page 14), the knobs should control all of the PARTS.  If specific PART buttons are lit, the knobs should only control the lit PART.

Further:

The RCV SW (Receive Switch) setting (page 119 of the MOXF Reference Manual) is a per PART setting that that tells each PART what control messages will affect that PART:  Checked, it has an affect, while unchecked it does not.

Unfortunately, the various controllers and their corresponding messages are not listed on page 119 in the MIXING PART EDIT section.

Go to page 69 of the same Manual, and you will see the same RCV SW settings page, except here it references PERFORMANCE PART EDIT (These settings do the same thing in MIXING MODE).  You will also see a list of the the messages you can activate or deactivate on a per PART basis.

In MIXING PART EDIT, go to the Receive Switch page, and try deactivating the messages sent by the AS1/AS2 and AF1/AF2 knobs for your pad PARTS, while leaving them active for your piano PART.

Note that the AS1/AS2 knobs are only active under these settings circumstance (from Page 69):

AS1 (Assign 1)
AS2 (Assign 2)

MIDI messages generated by using the ASSIGN 1/ASSIGN 2 (Knob 3/Knob4) when the [TONE3] lamp is turned on by pressing Knob Function 1 button.

It may be that you will want to take your SONG (MIXING) into MASTER Mode to address your various keyboard MIDI channels via ZONES.  Have you explored MASTER Mode at all yet?  It is pretty slick for multi-keyboard multi-channel setups.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2014 @ 05:56 PM
mjchase
Total Posts:  2
Joined  09-27-2014

Thanks for the reply. The first paragraph is the one I needed; it sounds like if I’m in Mixing Edit mode (and a few others that I don’t care about right now), I can press Common to make the knobs affect all parts, hopefully regardless of MIDI channel. I’ll give that a try; it seems a bit odd to perform in an Edit mode to get the behaviour I want, but if it works, great.

I have checked out Master Mode, but the problem is it forces a limit of 4 MIDI channels that can be used to play MOXF sounds from the MOXF keybed. I’m using a Mixing where I have 8 different pad and string sounds that if I’m in Song/Pattern mode (or, as I usually do for convenience, Master Mode recalling a Song/pattern), I can select any of those 8 sounds, or a different MIDI channel to play one of my synthesizers from the MOXF keybed, just by having the Track button lit and pressing one of the 1-16 buttons. Playing with zones would give that up.

One further question: If I have effects applied to the A/D In part, can I assign AS1/2 and AF1/2 to control those effects? I’ve looked through the manuals and it seems the only way to assign knobs to control anything is through the Voice mode’s Control Set, which applies to an actual Voice, while the A/D In is more of an addon. Is this correct, or have I overlooked something?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Music Production with Motif - a new video
Next Topic:

MIDI out ››