mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "2 Days and counting"

Posted on: November 11, 2014 @ 08:04 PM
Grandad1946
Total Posts:  40
Joined  08-31-2014

Well I’ve bit the bullet and ordered my MOXF6, should be here by Thursday. I feel like a child waiting for Father Christmas. I’ve yet to tell my wife, so I’m catching up on the decorating and hope that will placate her when she sees it arrive. !!!

Frantically reading everything I can to get an edge when it gets here, but I’ll probably just sit and look at it for an hour or two after it’s been unpacked. I promise not to post too many lame questions and will search the forum first to see if I can locate an answer to any problems I might run into.

Grandad1946

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2014 @ 09:05 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
Grandad1946 - 11 November 2014 08:04 PM

I’ve yet to tell my wife, so I’m catching up on the decorating and hope that will placate her when she sees it arrive. !!!

I hope she goes for it.

Enjoy your new board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2014 @ 09:35 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Grandad1946 - 11 November 2014 08:04 PM

Well I’ve bit the bullet and ordered my MOXF6, should be here by Thursday. [...]

My advice to any new owner is to not get so involved that you forget to eat, sleep, and do other important things.  ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2014 @ 04:13 PM
Grandad1946
Joined  08-31-2014

Thanks for all your comments. I told the wife today, surprised she took it quite well. Got confirmation for the couriers that delivery will definitely be tomorrow. No actual time, so will check in the morning and hope to get a specific time. Once I get the hang of it I’ll get Cubase AI and the flash card and then wait until xmas is over I’ll start saving up again.
Grandad1946

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2014 @ 05:37 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Congratulations and although you have already been welcomed to the forums, welcome as a new owner!

There is a huge amount available on the this site absolutely free of charge - posts in the forums, videos, and written articles. This site only survives by selling stuff though so we also do sell voice libraries, full length training videos, and ‘Motif’ accessories from gig bags to flashboards and pedals, all at prices to match anywhere else we believe.

The videos in particular you might find extremely helpful to get you started. I’d recommend either the Discovering The MOX, or the bundle of this plus MOXF In & Out, which mainly covers the new features of the MOXF as distinct from the MOX.

The plug is not really ‘shameless’ because I think what it does is set you off on the right foot. The problem a lot of people have when they first get their new puppy is simply one of getting the wrong end of the stick. This leads to frustration and headaches followed by the slow process of re-learning the reality of how the instrument works.

Regardless of whether you feel you need any formal assistance like this, do make sure you takes things one step at a time and don’t just blindly assume things. We are all guilty of that time is of course but with ‘Motif’ such really can come up and bite.

Best of luck and you will love your new purchase, I’m sure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2014 @ 02:35 PM
Grandad1946
Joined  08-31-2014

Life can be so cruel. My MOXF6 was delivered this morning at 10:43. As I had promised the wife I would do some decorating first, I didn’t get round to opening it until 3:30. I setup everything as per the owners manual, the unit flashed into life, so far so good. I tried to select the voice button, nothing happened. None of the buttons worked, even the Master button was unlit. Rang Yamaha at MK, he took.me through some checks and he advised that the item was faulty. Rang Reidy’s where I had purchased it and was told to go online and use the “Returns request form” to arrange return and replacement. Filled it out and tried to send, does not recognise the order number, even though it shows this on my account. Rang Reidy’s I now have to send an email with the details. I should have stuck to the Stylophone!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2014 @ 03:12 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Oh dear, that is cruel indeed (I believe I recorded a song called Life So Cruel with my band back in the middle ages) and I’d have to say extremely rare. I would certainly insist that you are given a replacement immediately and don’t take any prevarication for an answer. We may have contacts at MK should you need.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2014 @ 03:23 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Sorry to hear that! :-(
I’ve never ordered anything big like this online and new, but assumed that the actual shop you ordered from would’ve checked it before sending it out.

My own MOXF was a former display one that Yamaha themselves had checked before sending to the company I bought it from/through, so not new.

Hope it resolves itself quickly for you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2014 @ 04:05 PM
Grandad1946
Joined  08-31-2014

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. zpink, I’ve always got keyboards this way and up to now have never had a problem, sods law there always has to be a first time, Yamaha are normally so reliable. Oh well patience is a virtue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2014 @ 07:00 AM
Grandad1946
Joined  08-31-2014

Just heard from Reidys, they say as soon as a replacement comes in from Yamaha they will it send out and collect the faulty one at same time. Looks like middle of next week. Ah well, such is life.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2014 @ 06:55 PM
Grandad1946
Joined  08-31-2014

Yippee, it came this morning about 10-30. I unpacked it to allow it to warm up and then took the wife shopping. Got back and put shopping away, then took the dog for a walk. Time for lunch. Finally got set-up at 3-30. Cor, ain’t there a lot of buttons !!! Tried the performances and voices and then updated the firmware, cannot understand why Yamaha still insist on using USB 1.1 ???  Downloaded Cubase AI7 and activated it etc.

First observations are it’s a nifty bit of kit. Packed up now as I want to read the manuals again and also peruse the MOXF forum.

Have more decorating to do tomorrow, but will spend the evening trying more stuff. Post updates as I get to grips with it.

Grandad1946

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2014 @ 07:07 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Grandad1946 - 21 November 2014 06:55 PM

Yippee, it came this morning about 10-30. [...]

First observations are it’s a nifty bit of kit. Packed up now as I want to read the manuals again and also peruse the MOXF forum.[...]

Congrats.

My suggestion is that you play a bit, read a bit, and continue alternating that way. The place to start for the basics is the Owner’s Manual, and when that doesn’t have the answers, the Reference Manual will provide more detail. In my own experience, I retain what’s in the manuals best when I’m going to them for specific information. When neither manual seems to help, we’ll try to fill in any gaps, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2014 @ 06:11 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Congratulations, xmas came early this year! ;-)

There’re tons of pre-set voices to play around with and after that, since you seem to have it hooked up to your PC already, I recommend using the editor (either stand-alone or the VST one) to dig deeper.

I may be in a minority here, but I’ve hardly been through the menus on the board itself since I much prefer the editor myself.

It’s a little bit weird here in my ‘man-cave’, I most of the time control Cubase from the MOXF whilst tweaking sounds with the mouse! :-)

Have fun!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2014 @ 06:44 AM
Grandad1946
Joined  08-31-2014

Thanks guys for the encouraging comments. One of the drawbacks of starting a musical hobby late in life is a slow learning curve, especially with a complex keyboard. I’ll just take it one step at a time. I also have to balance my responsibilities to my wife with my hobby, so I’ll just keep plodding along.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2014 @ 09:41 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Grandad1946 - 22 November 2014 06:44 AM

… so I’ll just keep plodding along.

Practical advice at any age!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2014 @ 10:48 AM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

“One of the drawbacks of starting a musical hobby late in life.....”

well, I give you a ton of credit for starting the hobby, regardless of age.
as for the MOXF, (has a lot of things in common with my Motif XF), imho and many others, it certainly is complex.
but, in very good ways.
it can do the coolest things.
I’ve had mine for a while now. and I have only scratched the surface for all the stuff it can do.
I have so much fun with it.
learning more about what it can do, at the rate I’m going, is going to take a long long time.
and thats ok. I love the thing.
I don’t love everything about it.
but the things I do love, make it without a doubt, one of the most awesome things in the world to me.

[ Ignore ]