mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Flash board confusion with voices loading"

Posted on: November 20, 2014 @ 05:39 AM
cajo
Total Posts:  37
Joined  11-07-2013

I have finally received my 1024MB flash board from Germany. Decided to explore “Inspiration in a flash” and successfully loaded the required data (it took around 20 minutes). I explored the content of the package for a few hours and then installed “CP1 Piano” free download. All voices loaded fine, played the pianos for a while, nice. Ok, now the problems. I decided to reload “Inspiration in a flash” voices. My understanding is that I don’t have to reload waveforms and samples so I loaded the voices. The result was catastrophic. The voices in USER 1,2 and 3 banks are basically unplayable and sound horrible. The voice names do not much the sounds and it all out of order. What have I done wrong and how can I fix this mess? I have re-read Bad Mister’s article but it did not help me. I do understand the principle, but I cannot put it into practice.

So, I have on the flash board:
1. “Inspiration in a flash” samples and waveforms
2. “CP1 Piano” samples and waveforms

How do I install voices? I know I cannot have them all but let’s say I want all “Inspiration in a flash” voices today and then tomorrow I want to load “CP1 Piano” voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2014 @ 01:49 PM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

I am not sure.
I have read a little.
and have a thought.
(I might be wrong.)
but in an article I read this:
“ Now you must immediately create a backup file that documents your new catalog. You would SAVE a FILE and make sure you opt to Save it “with Samples” (Waveform data, being the smaller amount, is always Saved automatically). This backup ALL data file (.X6A) has all your newly updated data, including the new Voices you added that now point their own data. We’ll call this the “MainSet"."

it is towards the end of:

https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=366:moxf-flash-board&Itemid=102

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2014 @ 03:49 PM
B.Minor
Total Posts:  126
Joined  10-22-2010

cajo:
So, I have on the flash board:
1. “Inspiration in a flash” samples and waveforms
2. “CP1 Piano” samples and waveforms

How do I install voices? I know I cannot have them all but let’s say I want all “Inspiration in a flash” voices today and then tomorrow I want to load “CP1 Piano” voices.

Okay, let me propose a possible solution especially for your case. As you already noticed, the “Inspiration In A Flash” library (IIAF from now on) already uses all three user voice banks. If you really insist to keep/use all voices from each of the two mentioned libraries, there’s no other way than to load one library at a time only to the MOXF memory. However, the waveforms for both libraries will surely fit to your 1024MB board at once. Regardless which of the two libraries you want to use at a time, it’s only a matter of retaining the references from all currently loaded voices to their related waveforms you currently have located on your flashboard.

1) In order to manage things right from the start, I guess you’d better begin from scratch. Therefore, first erase the contents of your flashboard completely (probably it’s faster to re-format it) and then perform a factory set on the MOXF to clean things up again.

2) Load the first library (the IIAF X6A) using the “ALL” option WITH waveform and WITH sample checked. This will load the three voice banks completely to the MOXF memory and the related waveforms to your flashboard. Keep the X6A file from where you just loaded the library at a special place on your USB stick, as you will need it later again.

3) Perform a factory set again. This will initialize the current MOXF content, but not the flashboard content you just created in step 2).

4) Load the second library (the CP1 X3A), either using the “1BankVoice” (selecting bank #1) or the “ALL” option, in both possible cases WITH waveform checked. This will now load the CP1 voices to the MOXF and will append the related waveforms in addition to what is already stored on your flashboard.

5) Now this is important: Save the whole MOXF content using the “ALL” option WITH sample again back to your USB stick (it’s always a good idea to save with samples, even though you might not always have to reload them later on). When saving, name that X6A file to reflect the current MOXF content (e.g CP1) and keep it in the same directory as your IIAF X6A file mentioned in step 2).

Okay, you’re done. In order to load any of these two libraries in the future you added so far, you’d have to do the following:

6) Load the desired library from your special USB folder you used before, using the “ALL” option, but this time uncheck WITH samples only (as the samples already reside on your flashboard). Regardless which of the two libraries you will load that way in the future, the references to your waveforms currently on your flashboard will always be intact. If you plan to load further libraries to chose from later on, just follow the rules and continue from point 3). As long as the capacity of your flashboard will allow it, you will be able to “quickly” load any added libraries completely from USB without the need for re-loading any related waveforms.

If you once understood the principle how voices point to waveforms, you’ll soon be able to create your one and only “standard” X6A set which is made of several sources from many different libraries and will only contain your favorites you’re always using. Of course, in order to be able to do so, you will also have to learn how to load voices separately to the MOXF, using the “Voice” option. But that’s a different story…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2014 @ 08:27 PM
cajo
Joined  11-07-2013

Thank you B.Minor. I have reformatted my flash board and re-loaded “Inspiration in a flash”. It all works fine now.

I realize I won’t require all those voices. Lets say I won’t to sacrifice User Bank 2, how can I load “CP 1” library voices to User Bank 1 but keep “Inspiration in a flash” voices in User Bank 1 and 3 for example?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2014 @ 11:47 AM
B.Minor
Joined  10-22-2010

cajo:
[...] I realize I won’t require all those voices. Lets say I won’t to sacrifice User Bank 2, how can I load “CP 1” library voices to User Bank 1 but keep “Inspiration in a flash” voices in User Bank 1 and 3 for example? [...]

Not sure if I got your request correctly. However, as the CP1 library only uses one single user voice bank where the actual CP1 voices are located (there are only 16 CP1 voices included in total in that library, the rest is “XF default"), the best solution is to overwrite any user voices on your MOXF you don’t need, or - as a “quick and dirty” solution - you could also overwrite the whole unused user voice bank on your MOXF with the actual bank containing the CP1 voices.

To be more specific, now you have two choices. Let’s assume you are willing to give up on using your current user voice bank 2 on your MOXF (you mentioned that you’d only like to keep bank 1 and 3).

Replacing a whole voice user bank:
Load the CP1 X3A library from your USB stick using the “1BankVoice” option WITH waveform checked, select user bank 1 as source (on the right side of the screen) and “USR2” as the destiantion (left side). After confirming the operation by pressing “EXEC”, your 16 CP1 voices will be allocated to the first 16 voice locations in your MOXF in user bank 2 (along with the other voices located in the same bank which are just XF default voices which don’t depend on any user waveforms - you could overwrite them with your own favorites later).

or

Replacing 16 user voices one by one:
Load the CP1 X3A library from your USB stick using the “Voice” option WITH waveform checked and open user bank 1 as source bank. Now you will already see the 16 CP1 voices on the right side (sources). Move the cursor to the left side and select “USR2” in order to choose bank 2 as your destination bank. After that you’re ready to go, mapping each of the first 16 source voices one by one over to your first 16 destination locations by hitting the “EXEC” button, increasing the source and destination numbers accordingly after each single voice transfer by one. You will notice that the first voice will take very long for the transfer, as most CP1 related waveforms will be also transferred to the flashboard at the beginning. All remaining 15 voices will rather go very quickly, as the MOXF will remember that you already loaded the related waveforms over to the flahboard along with the first voice, however, some other single waveforms will still follow. In fact the mapping to be done 16 times would have to look like that, if you want to keep the same order/positions:
001: -> USR2: 001 (A01)
016: -> USR2: 016 (A16)

That’s it. After returning back to voice mode you should find your voices exactly there where you (hopefully) expect them to be. User voice bank 1 and 3 still contain your IIAF voices, while bank 2 will now contain your CP1 voices (along with others). I hope I got your request correctly.

P.S.: Don’t forget to backup your new “personal” library to USB (and greetings from Austria to Australia).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2014 @ 09:20 PM
cajo
Joined  11-07-2013

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I need.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2014 @ 07:30 AM
cajo
Joined  11-07-2013
B.Minor - 21 November 2014 11:47 AM

cajo:
[...] I realize I won’t require all those voices. Lets say I won’t to sacrifice User Bank 2, how can I load “CP 1” library voices to User Bank 1 but keep “Inspiration in a flash” voices in User Bank 1 and 3 for example? [...]

Not sure if I got your request correctly. However, as the CP1 library only uses one single user voice bank where the actual CP1 voices are located (there are only 16 CP1 voices included in total in that library, the rest is “XF default"), the best solution is to overwrite any user voices on your MOXF you don’t need, or - as a “quick and dirty” solution - you could also overwrite the whole unused user voice bank on your MOXF with the actual bank containing the CP1 voices.

To be more specific, now you have two choices. Let’s assume you are willing to give up on using your current user voice bank 2 on your MOXF (you mentioned that you’d only like to keep bank 1 and 3).

Replacing a whole voice user bank:
Load the CP1 X3A library from your USB stick using the “1BankVoice” option WITH waveform checked, select user bank 1 as source (on the right side of the screen) and “USR2” as the destiantion (left side). After confirming the operation by pressing “EXEC”, your 16 CP1 voices will be allocated to the first 16 voice locations in your MOXF in user bank 2 (along with the other voices located in the same bank which are just XF default voices which don’t depend on any user waveforms - you could overwrite them with your own favorites later).

or

Replacing 16 user voices one by one:
Load the CP1 X3A library from your USB stick using the “Voice” option WITH waveform checked and open user bank 1 as source bank. Now you will already see the 16 CP1 voices on the right side (sources). Move the cursor to the left side and select “USR2” in order to choose bank 2 as your destination bank. After that you’re ready to go, mapping each of the first 16 source voices one by one over to your first 16 destination locations by hitting the “EXEC” button, increasing the source and destination numbers accordingly after each single voice transfer by one. You will notice that the first voice will take very long for the transfer, as most CP1 related waveforms will be also transferred to the flashboard at the beginning. All remaining 15 voices will rather go very quickly, as the MOXF will remember that you already loaded the related waveforms over to the flahboard along with the first voice, however, some other single waveforms will still follow. In fact the mapping to be done 16 times would have to look like that, if you want to keep the same order/positions:
001: -> USR2: 001 (A01)
016: -> USR2: 016 (A16)

That’s it. After returning back to voice mode you should find your voices exactly there where you (hopefully) expect them to be. User voice bank 1 and 3 still contain your IIAF voices, while bank 2 will now contain your CP1 voices (along with others). I hope I got your request correctly.

P.S.: Don’t forget to backup your new “personal” library to USB (and greetings from Austria to Australia).

I am still having problems. This is what I m trying to follow:
* select LOAD CP!PIA~1.x3a (from USB)
* Type Voice with Waveform
* Select USER 1 (on the left) and press ENTER
* At this point I am supposed to see CP1 voices on the left but they are not there. I see 128 voices but no CP1 voices. The first voice on the list is 001: Natural Grand.
I have downloaded CP1 library again but still no CP1 voices.
I am considering a suicide............or MOXF is going to go through the window.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2014 @ 10:07 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cajo - 24 December 2014 07:30 AM

I am still having problems. This is what I m trying to follow:
* select LOAD CP!PIA~1.x3a (from USB)
* Type Voice with Waveform
* Select USER 1 (on the left) and press ENTER
* At this point I am supposed to see CP1 voices on the left but they are not there. I see 128 voices but no CP1 voices. The first voice on the list is 001: Natural Grand.
I have downloaded CP1 library again but still no CP1 voices.
I am considering a suicide............or MOXF is going to go through the window.

The CP1 Voices are not in USER 1, they’re in USER 2 of the .X3A file.

See miden‘s second post in this thread for a procedure that should work:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471546/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2014 @ 10:43 AM
B.Minor
Joined  10-22-2010

5pinDIN:

Yes, mea culpa. 5pinDIN is perfectly right. In my explanations above I probably used my own “customized” version of that CP1 X3A library file which I had previously converted (via Melas Waveform Editor) to contain the piano voices in user bank 1 instead of user bank 2. Sorry for that confusion.

Cajo:

Don’t do that, it’s not worth it! As you see, everthing can be solved ;-)
And after all - it’s Christmas Time!

Btw., A Merry Christmas to you all!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2014 @ 11:25 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
B.Minor - 24 December 2014 10:43 AM

5pinDIN:

Yes, mea culpa. 5pinDIN is perfectly right. In my explanations above I probably used my own “customized” version of that CP1 X3A library file which I had previously converted (via Melas Waveform Editor) to contain the piano voices in user bank 1 instead of user bank 2. Sorry for that confusion.

The Readme files that accompany the CP1 download indicate that the Voices are in USER 2 for the XF, but incorrectly show USER 1 for the MOXF. Yamaha began the confusion, so it’s mostly their fault. :-)

Perhaps Yamaha had originally intended to include a .X6A file with a different bank arrangement. Factory User Voice Bank 1 in a MOXF is just copies of Presets. However, the Voices found in PRESET 9 of the MOXF are factory loaded to USER 1 of an XF, so avoiding overwriting that bank was probably Yamaha’s goal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2014 @ 03:11 AM
cajo
Joined  11-07-2013

Thank you guys and Merry Christmas!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2014 @ 10:31 PM
Stashman
Total Posts:  79
Joined  08-24-2014

This was an excellent post and relevant to the XF!!!
Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Getting Sequencer to Erase/Delete Songs ......
Next Topic:

Step Sequencer ››