mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF XF best way to go for pro touring keyoardist? thanks for help"

Posted on: October 21, 2014 @ 06:51 PM
phly23
Total Posts:  35
Joined  09-22-2008

Hi Guys,

Im a pro touring keyboardist who has played many years with an internationally touring music group. I mention that because I have to decide whats the best way to go because all our keyboards are rented!

i am determined to incorporate a newer MOTIF into my rig finally.. a New FX or my recently purchased SX6…

Should I just Start the long process of programing sounds on the SX now Or should I sell it now, and wait for the FX and start fresh?  Not sure if performance data is backwards compatible and
here’s my dilemma:

WE do ALL “Backline” dates. Which means the sound equipment and keyboards are provided by the backline rental company.

We advance the gigs beforehand But when we Show up and for instance They Have an SX there instead of a FX I have to be prepared!  (That’s as well with the ES and the classic!)

Thanks I know that swapping sounds has been covered, I just have an offer on my sx and and to buy new fx and Im trying to cover this before I pull the trigger!

Phly23

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2014 @ 08:13 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

The Motif XF can load an XS file, so your XS sounds will load to the XF without any problem.

I am the keyboard tech for David Foster’s live shows, and I have done two tours with the
Cure and programmed for Fleetwood Mac (their current keyboardist Brett Tuggle plays a Motif XF and a Korg Kronos onstage).

For the Foster shows, we always rent from backline companies. When the XF first came out I had difficulty sometimes getting them (yes we use six XF’s onstage - one XF8 and two XF7’s for each of the two keyboardists). But for the past year and a half, I have had no trouble getting backline companies to provide XF’s. After all, its been well over three years since the XF was introduced, most backline rental companies really SHOULD have them in stock. Even overseas. You may have some difficulty getting them in China, but on the other hand, the backline companies in Singapore and Indonesia always have them.

Here’s a hint - you can always demand that the backline company provide XF’s. Trust me, they will comply, even if they have to rent them from another company. Don’t take no for an answer, they can do it. If they balk, say your show depends on using Motif XF’s. They won;t want to lose business to someone else. I’ve arrived at a gig to find that the backline company provided either XS’s or ES’s. You know what I did, I had our tour manager tell them to go get some XF’s. And they always complied.

Two things to remember. Always check ahead of time with the backline company as to
whether their XF’s have the latest O.S. installed. You’d be surprised at how many companies do not update their keyboards (or even know that there is such a thing as an update).
Second, don’t count on a rental XF having a flashboard or two installed. If you have stuff
which relies on samples stored on a flashboard, you should bring your flashboard with you on tour.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2014 @ 03:43 PM
phly23
Joined  09-22-2008

Dave~

Thnanks

So much for your great info and reply! It’s great to meet a pro and someone who has been doing this stuff for a long time as well! lol

I’ve been The keyboardist for Starship for the Last 20 years and have had the privilege of playing so many gigs as keyboardist with many 80s artist and singers. This weekend I will be performing in Memphis for Survivor’s Jimi Jamison memorial event at the Hard Rock playing Keys with John Cafferty, Loverboy’s Mike Reno and of course with Mickey Thomas and Starship.

Live rig has been Korg Tritons forever as well as old O1/w Which has the punchiest tone that I could never achieve with my Motif ES. I plan to resolve that with the MOTIF FX7 as my bottom keyboard and DEMAND those on the rider! Yes on our contract says that the Keyboard mode is CRITICAL for the shows performance! Also have a Korg Kronos which has good points and bad points. that’s another post!

I will Be purchasing an FX7 ($1800.00 seems good) today!  Thanks for posting me in the right direction. Now I can figure out the best Sound Bank to use that I can have on the sx as well…

Hey I’m wondering if we met before...Did you ever tour with Kansas? Thanks again!

Phil Bennett
San Fransisco, Ca

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2014 @ 08:11 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
phly23 - 22 October 2014 03:43 PM

Dave~

Thnanks

So much for your great info and reply! It’s great to meet a pro and someone who has been doing this stuff for a long time as well! lol

Ive been The keyboardist for Starship for the Last 20 years and have had the privilege of playing so many gigs as keyboardist with many 80s artist and singers. This weekend I will be performing in Memphis for Survivor’s Jimi Jamison memorial event at the Hard Rock playing Keys with John Cafferty Loverboy’s Mike Reno and Of course with Mickey Thomas and Starship.

Live rig has been Korg Tritons forever as well as old O1/w Which has the punchiest tone that I could never acheive with my Motif ES. I plan to resolve that with the MOTIF FX7 as my bottom keyboard and DEMAND those on the rider! Yes on our contract says that it is CRITICAL for the shows performance! Also have a Korg Kronos which has good points and bad points. that’s another post!

I will Be purchasing an FX7 ($1800.00 seems good) today!  Thanks for posting me in the right direction. Now I can figure out the best Sound Bank to use that I can have on the sx as well…

Hey I’m wondering if we met before...Did you ever tour with Kansas? Thanks again!

Phil Bennett
San Fransisco, Ca

You’re welcome, Phil. No, I never did any gigs with Kansas. Sergio Mendes and Bonnie Raitt, yes, but not Kansas.

One thing I’d like to add - be sure to state in your rider that you want an XF7, not an FX7.
The backline company will tell you there is no such thing as an “FX7”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2014 @ 11:14 PM
phly23
Joined  09-22-2008

Just Got The FX7 Home. ....It’s been “garaged” its whole life and is in Mint Condition....The keys feel Great. Love it.

It does have that inherent “Dark” Motif Quality that I find with My Motif 88 and my ES and SX which I feel they also Share

Would love to know if any one has any global Master channel Eq tips?
Im thinking bump 1.5-2kh a db or 2 and dropping some 100Hz and below?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2014 @ 12:07 PM
fbarbin
Total Posts:  95
Joined  12-05-2009

following

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2014 @ 06:14 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010
phly23 - 22 October 2014 11:14 PM

Just Got The FX7 Home. ....It’s been “garaged” its whole life and is in Mint Condition....The keys feel Great. Love it.

It does have that inherent “Dark” Motif Quality that I find with My Motif 88 and my ES and SX which I feel they also Share

Would love to know if any one has any global Master channel Eq tips?
Im thinking bump 1.5-2kh a db or 2 and dropping some 100Hz and below?

Thanks

Dave had good advice, don’t ask for an FX7, who knows what you’ll get.  be sure you always state XF7.

I played a show in ABQ a month ago, and asked for an XF7.  At first they weren’t sure if they could provide it, so I said thats fine, it will cost $400 to have me bring my board, plus damage insurance.  Better also send an extra car to the airport to pick us up as well, the keyboard in its flight case is pretty big and heavy.  Sure enough the backine company got the XF no problem :).

I brought my FL1024 flash memory card, a USB flashstick with an “All file (w/o samples)”, two instr cords and pedals.  they had cords and pedals for me, I didn’t need mine.  I was up and running in under 5 minutes.  show went off without a glitch.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Very usful if possible?
Next Topic:

Halion sonic se content ››