mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "getting audio into a macbook pro"

Posted on: October 26, 2014 @ 07:12 PM
nadwocean
Total Posts:  3
Joined  10-26-2014

Hello, I’m having great problems getting audio from my MOX8 into my macbook pro retina. I’m connecting via the Yamaha supplied USB cable (have tried a second cable with identical results) and have installed and reinstalled the latest Yamaha Steinberg driver for this model (following the instructions to the letter). The MOX is detected as an audio device and I can see that an audio signal is received by the Mac through the Input level monitor in System Preferences. However, I cannot get that audio to be picked up by Garageband, Audacity or even LineIn with the consequence that if I try to record I get a blank track. I have tried using CubaseAI6 but that is too complicated for my needs at this point and will need more time to learn. I can record in Garageband using the MOX as a midi keyboard with Garageband’s instruments, but not using the MOX sounds. I’ve seen a couple of statements on other forums to indicate that what I am trying to do can indeed be done, but not the solution. Is anyone able to point me towards what I might be doing wrong? I’m guessing this is a Mac rather than MOX issue but I’m really not sure.

Many thanks.

PS: I wonder if the cause is Yosemite (OSX10.10) since the Yamaha Steinberg driver is still under “testing” for this version of OSX? Has anyone managed to use the MOX audio on 10.10?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2014 @ 07:55 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi nadwocean,

Welcome to Motifator.

You didn’t mention at any time about making your MOX the ‘in use’ audio interface in any DAW that you have used.

You have done the first bit right by correctly installing the correct driver and checking the communication between the MOX and your Mac in your system preferences.

In any DAW, be it Garageband, Audacity or Cubase, there will always be an audio set up page in the preferences (perhaps even called audio preferences). It is very likely that the Mac’s built in soundcard is currently selected there and you need it to be the MOX.

With the driver successfully installed (which you’ve done), all you should need to do is select your MOX as the interface that you want to use.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2014 @ 08:18 PM
nadwocean
Joined  10-26-2014

Thanks - yes, I did set the MOX to be the audio source in Garageband and Audacity, but nothing received. Actually this is why I installed LineIn to do an independent, non-DAW, test to see if any program could detect the audio signal, but nothing doing. I should also add that I can send audio back to the MOX for output.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2014 @ 08:23 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

ok,

What USB I/O settings are you using on the MOX?

and…

What kind of tracks and input settings on them are you using in your DAW?

Walk me through what you do when you try to record audio?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2014 @ 06:42 PM
nadwocean
Joined  10-26-2014

Thanks again for helping with this. In writing a response and checking my settings, I just discovered something interesting, though I don’t really understand what is going on.

My USB I/O was in 2StereoRec mode, with both A/D In@Part and Part on. I also checked the settings on SF6 which follow instructions I read elsewhere (USB 1/2 and 3/4 both highlighted -> DAW (unhighlighted) -> L&R;(highlighted). USB Audio Output Channel is set to 4ch.

On my macbook pro, in Garageband I was selecting a new project with an acoustic instrument, selecting audio input from YAMAHA MOX6/8 on preferences (also shows 5 midi inputs detected), then hitting record but no signal was detected. However, I just tried changing the number of channels on the MOX input to 4 in Audacity preferences and discovered that audio is coming in through channels 3 and 4.

This prompted me to go back and try changing the USB audio Output Channel to 2ch, which has led to audio being received by all of my applications on the mac, but evidently at the expense of losing the Midi data.

Does this make sense and is this what I should be doing?

In any case, I’m delighted to now have at least configuration I can work with!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2014 @ 06:52 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

The voice/performance audio defaults to USB outputs 3 & 4 on the MOX. 

Having not ever plugged a mic in to mine, I would presume that USB outputs 1 & 2 are the for the A/D inputs as a default.

Lots of people get caught out with that and it is perfectly normal.

Perhaps you should do a factory reset and just remember that you need to set your audio inputs on any audio track you may use in Garageband to 3 & 4 (unless you want to reassign them)

Be sure to back up anything precious.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Can’t find ASIO Steinberg USB Driver
Next Topic:

MO8 transport issue ››