mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "pattern mode arps won’t trigger key on start externally"

Posted on: October 24, 2014 @ 03:17 PM
Mr. Spock
Total Posts:  99
Joined  03-02-2012

In pattern mode the arp won’t trigger key on auto start from external keyboard .

I use an external midi keyboard and everything works fine until I’m in pattern mode and go to mixing edit to add more arps . The Arp plays but the auto key on start will not start the sequencer to play what I have already recorded . So if I manually hit sequencer play button the new arp is not synced up properly to rest of pattern .

Hope that makes sense thanks for any help . I guess it has something to do with midi messages , not sure .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2014 @ 08:33 PM
Mr. Spock
Joined  03-02-2012

Anybody ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2014 @ 08:48 PM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

this is way over my head.
curious anyway.
has it ever worked before?
found this.
I know its different from what you are doing.
but maybe there is something in there that will help you track down the setting you need to make.
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/recording_arps_to_external_daw/

note this:
“In SONG/PATTERN Mixing mode: Set the “Receive Ch” parameter to that same as the Transmit Channel of the track on the DAW software. This is so it can receive the “trigger notes”.” :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2014 @ 09:00 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Mr. Spock - 24 October 2014 08:33 PM

Anybody ?

I think I’m doing what you described, but since I’m not having a problem with Keyboard Start (page 178 of the XF Reference Manual), I guess I’m not doing precisely what you’re doing.

Can you describe things in detail, including which number Arp(s) you’re using, or possibly post an “All Pattern” (X3P) file with a short (one Section) Pattern that exhibits the problem? If you do that, zip the file before attaching it.

Does the Keyboard Start work correctly in this case if you use the XF’s keys rather than the external keyboard?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2014 @ 09:11 AM
Mr. Spock
Joined  03-02-2012
chasmanian - 24 October 2014 08:48 PM

this is way over my head.
curious anyway.
has it ever worked before?
found this.
I know its different from what you are doing.
but maybe there is something in there that will help you track down the setting you need to make.
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/recording_arps_to_external_daw/

note this:
“In SONG/PATTERN Mixing mode: Set the “Receive Ch” parameter to that same as the Transmit Channel of the track on the DAW software. This is so it can receive the “trigger notes”.” :)

Ok Thanks , looking into this now .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2014 @ 09:13 AM
Mr. Spock
Joined  03-02-2012
5pinDIN - 24 October 2014 09:00 PM

Does the Keyboard Start work correctly in this case if you use the XF’s keys rather than the external keyboard?

Thanks 5pin gonna try some suggestion here
and yes if I use the XF keys it works fine .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2014 @ 09:29 AM
Mr. Spock
Joined  03-02-2012
chasmanian - 24 October 2014 08:48 PM

note this:

This is a very good point but I have them set right .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2014 @ 09:52 AM
Mr. Spock
Joined  03-02-2012

Ok now I believe I know the source of the problem with out getting to complicated .
Here it goes .

The XF key on start feature will not work in pattern/record mode with external keyboards unless you are using the XF Arps .

This I believe is the key to my problem and not sure if this would be considered a bug but it doesn’t work and it seems like such a simple thing .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2014 @ 12:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Mr. Spock - 25 October 2014 09:52 AM

[...]The XF key on start feature will not work in pattern/record mode with external keyboards unless you are using the XF Arps .

This I believe is the key to my problem and not sure if this would be considered a bug but it doesn’t work and it seems like such a simple thing .

Since you haven’t described exactly what you’re doing, it’s hard to tell why Key On Start (or Keyboard Start - the manual uses both terms) isn’t working as you expect it to. All it takes for it to work is the XF receiving a MIDI Note-On event. (For example, I just triggered it by “playing” a note on my computer’s keyboard, via MIDI-OX.) It would seem that somehow your external keyboard isn’t sending a Note-On that the XF is receiving.

If you want to pursue this further, please tell us in detail how you’ve connected your other gear to the XF. Is the external keyboard directly routed from its MIDI-Out to the XF’s MIDI-In, or is there a computer involved, etc.?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2014 @ 01:25 PM
Mr. Spock
Joined  03-02-2012

Ok 5oin I will explain in more detail in a few but just to be clear .
I can get it to play in performance mode
but it’s when your in or go to pattern mode to record is when the problem shows up .

Try recording a track in pattern mode with keyboard start on and Arps off but only play your external keyboard by midi and see if the sequencer starts , I don’t think it will . Remember all Arps need to be off .

All I’m doing is I have my midi keyboard out going toto my XF midi in ,
In pattern mode , I select midi ch 2 and my external board also on midi ch 2 , then I turn keyboard start on .

When I start to play my external midi board nothing happens , the sequencer never starts like it should .
As soon as I start to play the XF keys it starts to play as it should . There is no computer involved.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2014 @ 08:34 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Mr. Spock - 25 October 2014 01:25 PM

Ok 5oin I will explain in more detail in a few but just to be clear .
I can get it to play in performance mode
but it’s when your in or go to pattern mode to record is when the problem shows up .

Try recording a track in pattern mode with keyboard start on and Arps off but only play your external keyboard by midi and see if the sequencer starts , I don’t think it will . Remember all Arps need to be off .

All I’m doing is I have my midi keyboard out going toto my XF midi in ,
In pattern mode , I select midi ch 2 and my external board also on midi ch 2 , then I turn keyboard start on .

When I start to play my external midi board nothing happens , the sequencer never starts like it should .
As soon as I start to play the XF keys it starts to play as it should . There is no computer involved.

Thanks for clarifying the situation. This came up previously (over two years ago) in one of your other threads, at which time Bad_Mister explained what was happening, and VikasSharma provided another detail and a possible workaround.
See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460231
In that thread, VikasSharma wrote…
Your issue, however, is neither a case of MIDI latency nor any kind of a bug. Also, it is not the Note-On events that start the sequencer whether you use the internal keyboard or an external keyboard. It is the System Real-Time Start message that starts the sequencer in both the cases. So, find a way to send a Start message via MIDI-IN, and you’re done.
...but I’d add a slight clarification to it. When Keyboard Start is “on”, a Note-On event from an external keyboard will indirectly start the sequencer, when it triggers an Arp, because apparently the arpeggiator causes the generation of a System Real-Time Start (FA) message. (I said “apparently” because that appears to be the case, based on monitoring the MIDI data stream using MIDI-OX.)

It seems that what you’re experiencing is normal operation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2014 @ 08:52 PM
Mr. Spock
Joined  03-02-2012
5pinDIN - 25 October 2014 08:34 PM

[
Thanks for clarifying the situation. This came up previously (over two years ago) in one of your other threads, at which time Bad_Mister explained what was happening, and VikasSharma provided another detail and a possible workaround.
See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460231
In that thread, VikasSharma wrote…

It seems that what you’re experiencing is normal operation.

Yea nice work that was back around when I 1st got my XF so I was still very new , funny how i’m still having the same issue as I start to work more exclusively with the XF .
I will go back and reread this and see what I get out of it .
Thanks 5pin

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif VST editor
Next Topic:

Motif and hermode tuning ››