mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Best resource for S90-XS instruction"

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 01:29 PM
MorrisLives
Total Posts:  25
Joined  12-31-2003

Hi all -
I’ve had my board for some years now but I’ve not spent much time with it (work and family priorities). I’m not a full-time pro, but with retirement just around the corner, I’ll finally have time to enjoy playing music again.

If anyone could recommend one of the DVDs (for sale in the Shop) that best applies to the S90-XS board, what would it be? The manual just makes my eyes glaze over and [at my age] I absorb information much better visually.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2014 @ 03:21 PM
Johnnyack
Total Posts:  27
Joined  09-28-2012

Hey Morris, I have owned the S90xs now for about 5 years.  The learning curve IS rather large, and the manual can really be confusing.
I don’t know of any better place the learn than right here where you are typing.  Start by just exploring.  Stay away from the “multi” and “master” modes until you fully understand the Performance Mode.  The Voice mode is pretty self explanitory.  Basically you just pick a Bank and the select any of the 1-16 numbers in that bank ( ie: Bank A, then 1-16) but you have most likely figured that out by now.  Next would come the performance(s).  This area too is pretty simple.  Yamaha has pre-loaded them for you.  If you want to create your own I can explain how fairly fast.  Firstly go to say performance A-1.  hit “job” then scrole to initialize then, store, then enter then store again.  That will put Performance A-1 into “new” mode.  You’ll here piano only.  then go to Voice, and pick a voice, say A-2 Grand Piano.  Hit layer (it will automatically layer it w/ strings which you can change later. then hit Store.  It will then ask where to store it simply press A-1 and enter then store. then every time you pick Performance A-1 your’ll here what you created. While your in Performance A-1 (which you just created) you can mess around w/ the Edit button.  once you press it you can turn on or off any of the 4 “parts” change them, add some, change tons of perameters etc.  Just play with it for a while.  You can always get the synth back to factory settings.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2014 @ 03:26 PM
Johnnyack
Total Posts:  27
Joined  09-28-2012

Oh and don’t be afraid to ask ask ask on this Forum.  most everyone on here can provide some knowledge that will always help.  Also, take a look at some of the Posts and answers you can learn a lot that way as well!  Happy.... S90xs...ing!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2014 @ 12:18 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

We don’t have a DVD on the S90XS I’m afraid. The ‘closest’ is probably S90 Under Control but this program is really aimed at exploring the potential of the original S90 whose limitations, shown mitigated in that video, have to some extent been overridden by extra features in the S90XS. That said, there are still many points of relevance between the instruments.

In case you never saw it, here’s link to the original promo video for the S90XS.

This is (obviously!) a promo video rather than an instructional one. Nonetheless it may help with how the instrument is put together, what works with what, when to do what etc. It’s also free to view! The video also points out the significant overlap between the S90XS and the Motif XS. So, that being the case, the World Of Motif XS video would also provide some extremely helpful insights into your instrument.

You’re not alone in requesting a specific video but unfortunately one was never made! Hope the above provide some routes of assistance.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S90xs outputs
Next Topic:

S-series vs Motif-series ››