mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase AI 5 and Midi"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: October 10, 2014 @ 04:50 PM
Hawklord
Total Posts:  39
Joined  12-30-2010

Hi

Having finally sorted my port problems, I have a question regarding midi files.
Is it possible to load a midi file into either Cubase AI 5 or the Motif XF VST and play this file through my Motif XF keyboard.
If so how can I achieve this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2014 @ 06:12 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Hawklord,

You can import a MIDI file using the FILE menu and IMPORT function in Cubase. (you may also be able to drag and drop the MIDI file from your desktop, but I am not certain of that)

If you want a VST plugin to play the imported MIDI, then you need to make an instrument track with your desired VST plugin on it and move the MIDI data to it after you have imported it. (if it hasn’t done that already)

You can also import MIDI files to your XF via a usb stick and the FILE button, but that does not involve Cubase.  The playback will be from the XF’s internal sequencer. (Song mode)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 07:47 AM
Hawklord
Joined  12-30-2010

Hi Philwoodmusic

Firstly thank you for your reply and secondly I apologise for my lack of understanding regarding the software side of things although I am determined to get there.
I have several midi files of compositions I have previously created using both Reason and playing on my Tyros 5 and was hoping that I could load and edit these files within Cubase AI 5 to change the instrument sounds to those of the Motif XF.
I have the Motif XF VST running within Cubase AI 5 but do not know how to get a midi file to play on the Motif keyboard from the software (I have loaded them to a USB stick and can play them from there).
Any pointers greatly appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 08:04 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
philwoodmusic - 10 October 2014 06:12 PM

You can import a MIDI file using the FILE menu and IMPORT function in Cubase. (you may also be able to drag and drop the MIDI file from your desktop, but I am not certain of that)

I can make this a little bit clearer for you if you like.

Step by step.

in Cubase:

File > Import > MIDI file…

It will then ask you if you want to create a new project. The options are Create or NO or Cancel.

if you choose CREATE, then you get a new project with the file on a MIDI track of its own.

If you choose NO, it adds the MIDI file on its own MIDI track into your existing project.

If you choose Cancel, that takes you back to your main project window

Once imported, all you need to do is pick the MIDI up from the track it was added to and move it to the track with the VST on it. (the one you said you have got running).

I am very confused about what you mean in terms of your sound source. VST or Motif XF.

I’m not clear about what you want to do.

If you want the MIDI data to be played by a VST plugin then you need to have an instrument track set up in Cubase with your chosen VST on it.

If you want the Motif XF to play the MIDI back using the internal sounds on it, then the MIDI data needs to be on a MIDI track and the XF set to SONG mode.

You can make your voice choices using the various pages in SONG mode, just like you would if you were going to record your playing into the Motif XF’s internal sequencer. (without a computer and Cubase)

There are ways of getting Cubase to save and recall specific voice choices, but that might be a bit advanced for now.

You have 16 tracks/parts for 16 MIDI channels in SONG MODE on the Motif XF.

MIDI track 1 in Cubase (set to midi channel 1) will correspond directly to Track 1 in SONG MODE on the Motif XF and so on.

Midi channel 2 for track 2 and MIDI channel 3 for track 3 etc.

With regard to MIDI files from Reason and your Tyros. Unless you added program change and bank select data to your files, it is unlikely that they will want to recall specific sounds from anywhere.

Reason certainly does not work in that way, and if you export a MIDI file from your Reason project you will get a piano (or the first available voice) on every channel.

You won’t be doing any changing of sounds as such, but you will be assigning new sounds to your data using either instrument tracks with VST’s on them or MIDI tracks with your Motif XF set to SONG MODE.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2014 @ 12:55 PM
Hawklord
Joined  12-30-2010

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and following you instructions I hope to get it working, and yes I want the Motif XF to play the MIDI back using the internal sounds on it, not sent to an audio card in the PC.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2014 @ 05:45 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You’re welcome Hawklord.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2014 @ 12:08 PM
Hawklord
Joined  12-30-2010

Ok I need to get an understanding of the basics.
For example if I record a midi file on the Motif keyboard and save this to a USB stick, can I then load this file into Cubase for editing and then play the midi file from Cubase so that the midi data goes to the Motif and out via the Motif’s external amp and speakers.
If so how do I setup Cubase and can this be achieved without the Motif XF VST being loaded within Cubase.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2014 @ 06:08 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
Hawklord - 17 October 2014 12:08 PM

For example if I record a midi file on the Motif keyboard and save this to a USB stick, can I then load this file into Cubase for editing and then play the midi file from Cubase so that the midi data goes to the Motif and out via the Motif’s external amp and speakers.

Yes, plug the usb stick in to your computer and import the midi file through the method I’ve described step by step a few posts up.

Hawklord - 17 October 2014 12:08 PM

If so how do I setup Cubase and can this be achieved without the Motif XF VST being loaded within Cubase.

You need to use regular MIDI tracks and not instrument tracks.  Set your Motif XF to SONG MODE.

Importing your MIDI file should automatically create a MIDI track with the data on it, but if you want to create a MIDI track yourself at any time, you can go to Project > Add Track > MIDI.  This will create a MIDI track that can be routed to any external device.

(This is all presuming you have a working MIDI connection between your computer and your Motif XF)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2014 @ 12:05 PM
Hawklord
Joined  12-30-2010

I assume that the procedure you have described does not require Motif XF vst to be loaded in Cubase, correct ?.  If so what is the Motif XF vst used for, is it only used as a virtual Motif for people who do not have the Motif keyboard hardware and therefor I have no need to use it.
Sorry if my questions are basic but I need to get my head around how all of this fits together.
Thanks again for your reply.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2014 @ 06:56 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
Hawklord - 18 October 2014 12:05 PM

I assume that the procedure you have described does not require Motif XF vst to be loaded in Cubase

You physically can’t put a VST instrument on a MIDI track, you can only put a VST instrument on an instrument track.

Hawklord - 18 October 2014 12:05 PM

If so what is the Motif XF vst used for, is it only used as a virtual Motif for people who do not have the Motif keyboard hardware and therefor I have no need to use it.

It’s an editor that encompasses all the benefits of virtual studio technology as a software interface to the synth engine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2014 @ 02:18 PM
Hawklord
Joined  12-30-2010

I am unable to get a midi file from Cubase to play on the Motif keyboard.
This is my setup
Motif XF keyboard with Amp and speaker connected.
PC running Cubase AI5
Motif and PC connected via USB cable.

Motif has been set to communicate midi via usb and I know that this works as I can play the virtual MotIF XF VST from within Cubase and it plays my Motif keyboard.

I have imported a midi file into Cubase but when I press the play button the timeline bar moves but no sound comes out of my keyboard.
What am I missing ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 03:57 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Right.

Here’s a checklist for you:

1 - How do you know there is any MIDI data in your MIDI file at all? (there might not be)

2 - Have you set the Motif up in SONG MODE? (and assigned some sounds to tracks there)

3 - Are you using MIDI tracks with MIDI data on them? (not instrument tracks with MIDI data on them)

4 - If so, are the MIDI tracks set up to route MIDI data to your Motif XF? (MIDI input and output in the inspector bar)

5 - What happens if you put that MIDI data on an instrument track (as an experiment) and use one of the stock VST instruments that come with Cubase?  Do you get any kind of notes when you play it?

6 - Have you tried importing a MIDI file from elsewhere? (search for a free MIDI file on the internet and import that)

I suspect the problem is either in your MIDI file itself or the possibility that you are not using MIDI tracks at all (or you are but they need to be routed correctly)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 03:59 PM
Hawklord
Joined  12-30-2010

Having imported my Midi file into Cubase and selecting HALionOne as the output the red event received indicator pulses after pressing the play button.  The only other options on the output tag are “No VST instrument” or “EXTERNAL MOTIF XF VST”. if I select the Motif option the VST loads on the screen but with “PORT OPEN ERROR” and if I then click the File/setup tag the top of the next screen has a yellow triangle and the words “Ports in the host app have not been properly set”
Underneath this are ports 1 and 4 as follows.
Port 1 Midi in - a white line with no selection options.
Port 1 Midi out - Motif XF6-1 in yellow
Port 4 Midi in - Motif XF6-4 in yellow
Port 4 Midi out - Motif XF6-4 in yellow

I really am at a total loss with this and am close to throwing on the towel.

By the way the midi file will play via usb stick on both my Motif XF and My Tyros 5.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2014 @ 07:07 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

How about regular MIDI tracks though? With inputs and outputs for the Motif XF.

I only suggested using an instrument track to test your MIDI file.

Your MIDI file needs to be on MIDI tracks, routed to the XF, no VST plugin or instrument tracks are needed if you want to play sounds from the XF with the MIDI file from Cubase.

Please can you put the data on a MIDI track or MIDI tracks and tell us what you find?

Project > Add track > MIDI - then move the data from the instrument track you had to the MIDI track.

Also, are you sure you have installed a driver or the correct driver needed for the XF?

Something has complicated your Cubase project and what you’re doing really ought to be very simple.  It’s very hard to diagnose the problem at this distance, sorry. 

Be patient and you will get there

Don’t give up.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2014 @ 02:48 PM
Hawklord
Joined  12-30-2010

I thank you for your patience.
Let me explain the steps I am going through.
Load Cubase and the project assistant is displayed and I select the option “Empty” and the project window comes up.
Click project>Add Track>Midi and a window pops up with a count box which I leave as one and click OK.
Click File>Import>Midi File and a window pops up asking to create a new project to which I click no. I then select my Midi file and it adds tracks 2 to 12 to my project. The first Midi track I selected is coloured light brown and tracks 2 to 12 are green. Track 2 is labelled instrument track and 3 to 12 are labelled as specific instruments.
Now I am beaten as whatever I do no sound comes out of my Motif. Several screens show the words MOTIF XF-1, XF-2, XF-3 and XF-4, what exactly does this refer to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2014 @ 06:03 PM
Hawklord
Joined  12-30-2010

I have now made some progress. I created a new blank project and added a single midi track and have managed to record to it from my Motif AND play it back through the Motif. This means that I have two way communication between Cubase and the Motif. Although I still haven’t worked out how to play a pre-recorded midi file hopefully I can progress from here.
I am still confused about the use of the Motif XF vst instrument within Cubase, why would you want to play a virtual keyboard with the sounds coming out of the Motif when you can play the keyboard itself. With the vst loaded what is the routing in and out when playing either the keyboard or a track from Cubase, eg is it keyboard to vst to Cubase or keyboard to Cubase to vst etc etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF, Cubase AI5, Midi etc
Next Topic:

Can a key repeat a sound on release? ››