mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New XF startup and conversion from ES"

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 12:50 PM
chris_s
Total Posts:  26
Joined  10-15-2011

I just purchased an XF6 running v1.12 of the firmware. It doesn’t have any flash ram (yet). I have an ES7 that I will be selling soon. I have a custom setup for the ES7 that I use for gigs. It includes parts of a number of voice banks that I purchased along with some custom Song and Performance set up.

I need to get the XF6 customized with the same set up that I have for the ES7 (preferably sooner rather than later). I downloaded the XF v1.50 Updater, the MIDI-USB driver and the XF Editor. I would appreciate it if someone could confirm that I have the procedure correct to do this (and respond to the questions that I have included):

1. Take a backup of everything that is on the keyboard now in its new state saving the file to an X3A “ALL” file. DONE

2. Install the USB-MIDI interface (Win 7 64 bit) on my PC.

3. Load V1.50 of the firmware onto the keyboard. 
I believe that I can load 1.5 directly over 1.1 (I don’t need to load the intermediate versions first) Is there any other requirement to do this other than the USB-MIDI interface installed?)
I just connect the cable, power on the keyboard and run the updater on the PC?

4. Try loading my ES ALL file into the XF (I understand that this works and it will handle most things except Performances).
It has some voices (one especially) that requires large samples (bigger than 128mb). Will it just skip this and do everything else or will that be a problem?
If necessary, I can go back to the ES file and use the Editor to remove any voices that require large samples.
Will it load smaller samples into the 128mb of SD ram and used them from there (the same way it used the ram in the ES)?
Once I get it loaded, I can then save it as an XF ALL file (X3A). Until I get some flash ram, I can just load it every time I start up the machine.

5. If I need to make further adjustments, I will probably need to use the XF Studio Manager. I already have version 2.3.1 installed for the ES. I presume that all I need to do is to install the XF components (XF Editor). If I want any of the initial voices (or performances) from User Bank 1 or 2, I should be able to get them back using the XF Editor? I guess that means that I need to make notes before I do anything else on which ones I would want to use from that initial set.

If necessary, I can go back to the ES file and use the Editor to remove any voices that require large samples, save that and load that version into the XF.

Is there anything that’s incorrect or anything that I’m missing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 03:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
chris_s - 30 September 2014 12:50 PM

I just purchased an XF6 running v1.12 of the firmware. It doesn’t have any flash ram (yet). I have an ES7 that I will be selling soon. I have a custom setup for the ES7 that I use for gigs. It includes parts of a number of voice banks that I purchased along with some custom Song and Performance set up.

I need to get the XF6 customized with the same set up that I have for the ES7 (preferably sooner rather than later). I downloaded the XF v1.50 Updater, the MIDI-USB driver and the XF Editor. I would appreciate it if someone could confirm that I have the procedure correct to do this (and respond to the questions that I have included):

1. Take a backup of everything that is on the keyboard now in its new state saving the file to an X3A “ALL” file. DONE

2. Install the USB-MIDI interface (Win 7 64 bit) on my PC.

I assume you meant “driver”, not “interface”, as you correctly referred to it previously. It’s OK to install it, but not necessarily at this step, as I’ll shortly explain.

chris_s -

3. Load V1.50 of the firmware onto the keyboard. 
I believe that I can load 1.5 directly over 1.1 (I don’t need to load the intermediate versions first)

OK so far…

chris_s -

Is there any other requirement to do this other than the USB-MIDI interface installed?)
I just connect the cable, power on the keyboard and run the updater on the PC?

...but your procedure goes awry here. After unzipping the updater file, you’ll find that there’s a Readme file - do read it, it explains how to do the update. (The 8K44OS_.PGM file should be copied to a USB flash drive, etc.)

chris_s -

4. Try loading my ES ALL file into the XF (I understand that this works and it will handle most things except Performances).
It has some voices (one especially) that requires large samples (bigger than 128mb). Will it just skip this and do everything else or will that be a problem?
If necessary, I can go back to the ES file and use the Editor to remove any voices that require large samples.
Will it load smaller samples into the 128mb of SD ram and used them from there (the same way it used the ram in the ES)?
Once I get it loaded, I can then save it as an XF ALL file (X3A). Until I get some flash ram, I can just load it every time I start up the machine.

If you try to load more than 128MB in total of samples, the XF will respond with “Sample memory full” and the load operation will stop at that point. Samples that total less than 128MB should load in User RAM.

chris_s -

5. If I need to make further adjustments, I will probably need to use the XF Studio Manager. I already have version 2.3.1 installed for the ES. I presume that all I need to do is to install the XF components (XF Editor).

There’s also a standalone version of the XF Editor available.

chris_s -

If I want any of the initial voices (or performances) from User Bank 1 or 2, I should be able to get them back using the XF Editor? I guess that means that I need to make notes before I do anything else on which ones I would want to use from that initial set.

It seems that you raised this issue because you’ll be loading your ES Voices and Performances into the respective banks of the XF. The XF has four User Voice banks, but only Bank 1 contains Voices that aren’t duplicates of ones from the Preset Voice banks. Therefore, there shouldn’t be a concern about Voice Bank 2 contents. It wouldn’t be necessary to use the Editor to load individual XF Voices or Performances, since that could be done directly from a file saved to a USB flash drive or a networked computer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 05:50 PM
chris_s
Joined  10-15-2011

Thanks for taking the time to go through the details for me. I will proceed cautiously using your comments.

On the ES, I thought that the two User Banks could contain anything (but maybe that was my misunderstanding). Many of the Voice libraries provided stuff for Bank 1 and 2. When I try to use (a version of) my All file on the XF, could I run into a problem because of that or will anything that worked on the ES still work on the XF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 07:24 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
chris_s - 30 September 2014 05:50 PM

Thanks for taking the time to go through the details for me. I will proceed cautiously using your comments.

You’re welcome.

chris_s -

On the ES, I thought that the two User Banks could contain anything (but maybe that was my misunderstanding). Many of the Voice libraries provided stuff for Bank 1 and 2. When I try to use (a version of) my All file on the XF, could I run into a problem because of that or will anything that worked on the ES still work on the XF?

I’m not sure we’re understanding each other about this. You can load your ES Voice banks to whichever of the XF’s Voice banks you prefer.

Here’s why I specifically mentioned the XF’s User Voice Bank 1…
The XF Preset Voice banks have the same content as those in the XS. However, Voices based on the additional Waveforms that the XF has beyond those in the XS are located in the XF’s User Voice Bank 1 when the XF is new or after a factory reset. Therefore, if you load your ES Voices to the XF’s Bank 1, you’ll overwrite factory Voices that aren’t found elsewhere. The XF’s User Voice Banks 2, 3, and 4 all hold duplicates from its Preset banks, so by loading the ES banks there, no unique Voices will be overwritten.

I hope that clarified the situation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2014 @ 07:43 PM
chris_s
Joined  10-15-2011

OK. Now I understand. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2014 @ 05:31 PM
chris_s
Joined  10-15-2011

Making good progress. Updated to v 1.50 and loaded my ES setup (ALL file). Now tweeking it for some of the voice choices but I’m almost there.

Thanks again for the feedback.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2014 @ 05:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
chris_s - 01 October 2014 05:31 PM

Making good progress. Updated to v 1.50 and loaded my ES setup (ALL file). Now tweeking it for some of the voice choices but I’m almost there.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Great - I’m glad it’s working out.

[ Ignore ]