mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Dual Keyboard Setup"

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 08:34 AM
Nightwin26
Total Posts:  9
Joined  09-19-2014

Hi All,

I hope this is a simple answer. 

I have my Motif XF acting as my sound module for my weighted keyboard. 

Question - while in performance mode (piano, sax, organ, flute) - I want to only play the piano on my weighted keyboard, however I want the sax, organ and flute to only play on my Motif.

How can I accomplish this setup?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 09:07 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Nightwin26 - 22 September 2014 08:34 AM

[...]Question - while in performance mode (piano, sax, organ, flute) - I want to only play the piano on my weighted keyboard, however I want the sax, organ and flute to only play on my Motif.

How can I accomplish this setup?

It can’t be done in Performance mode, because in that mode all of the Parts are addressed simultaneously on one MIDI channel. However, the Performance could be copied to a Song or Pattern, and a Mixing is where the Parts can be assigned different channels, etc. Then your external keyboard can play whichever Part(s) you desire, as long as the MIDI transmit and receive channels match.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 11:11 AM
Nightwin26
Joined  09-19-2014

Thanks!

So when you say “copy the performance” - will that copy the settings I setup in the performance (e.g. Voices, volume settings, etc.

What is the easy way to do this? - since I will be using this config a live setup (not for song recording.  The manual pretty much talks about using Song mode for song writing, not live performance per se. 

I guess what I want to like is that I would just pull up a song file live that is already configured with several voices (piano, flute, etc).  The piano voice would be mapped to my weighted KORG keyboard and my Motif would handle the flute and other sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 12:05 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

See these:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/457974/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live1

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 03:43 PM
Nightwin26
Joined  09-19-2014

Thank you for the links!!!  They were awesome and exactly what I want to do.

I’m so close now - just one more question.
I have it all pretty much working the way I want now.  Piano sound on my Korg (channel 1), and flutes, sax and channel 2 and 3.

Final step is to get channel 4 and 5 to layer at the same time.  I want some strings layered with accordion.  However, if I follow the instructions it says to change the channel for both of these to same channel - when I do that, it changes the sound in the Mixing area and doubles it up.  So I set channel 4 to strings and added accordion to channel 5 (then I changed the channel to 4 in the track setup in the mixer and it changed to strings.

from manual pdf - simply place these three sounds on the same MIDI channel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 05:57 PM
Nightwin26
Joined  09-19-2014

No matter what I do, I can’t get 2 different sounds to layer ins song mode...I know I need to make tracks the same midi channel but when I do, the tracks become the same sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 08:19 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Nightwin26 - 22 September 2014 03:43 PM

Thank you for the links!!!  They were awesome and exactly what I want to do.

You’re welcome - I’m glad that helped.

Nightwin26 -

I’m so close now - just one more question.
I have it all pretty much working the way I want now.  Piano sound on my Korg (channel 1), and flutes, sax and channel 2 and 3.

Final step is to get channel 4 and 5 to layer at the same time.  I want some strings layered with accordion.  However, if I follow the instructions it says to change the channel for both of these to same channel - when I do that, it changes the sound in the Mixing area and doubles it up.  So I set channel 4 to strings and added accordion to channel 5 (then I changed the channel to 4 in the track setup in the mixer and it changed to strings.

from manual pdf - simply place these three sounds on the same MIDI channel

I’m not sure exactly what you did. I don’t want to seem obsessive, but using the correct terminology might help us get this working for you. What you want to do is select a string Voice for Part 4 and an accordion Voice for Part 5, and then set them to receive on the same MIDI channel. Here’s how…

1) Select your Song or Pattern.
2) Press [MIXING], [EDIT], [4] - you will be editing Part 4
3) The Receive Channel will probably already be set to 4 - if not, change it to 4.
4) Select the string Voice you want to use for Part 4.
5) Press [5] - you will be editing Part 5.
6) The Receive Channel will probably be set to 5 - change it to 4. Part 4 and Part 5 will have both been set to receive on Channel 4.
7) Select the accordion Voice you want to use for Part 5.

Of course, you might want to adjust other Parameters, such as level. Be sure to STORE any changes you want to keep. After exiting back to Song or Pattern mode, you should find that you can use the numbered button [4] to play the layered string/accordion sound. Don’t be concerned that the string Voice will be shown, but the accordion one won’t - that’s normal when they share the same Receive Channel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 08:37 PM
Nightwin26
Joined  09-19-2014

got it - that was it!!!

I knew I was missing something easy - what I was doing was going into Song, Mixing, edit (but I didn’t click on the track after hitting edit, so I never saw where I could change the Receive Channel)

Thank again for your time and patience!!!  I’ll be ready with the new config for my show this weekend!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2014 @ 08:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Nightwin26 - 22 September 2014 08:37 PM

got it - that was it!!!

I knew I was missing something easy - what I was doing was going into Song, Mixing, edit (but I didn’t click on the track after hitting edit, so I never saw where I could change the Receive Channel)

Thank again for your time and patience!!!  I’ll be ready with the new config for my show this weekend!!

You’re welcome - good luck on the gig.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Shared folders gone after OS X Mavericks upgrade
Next Topic:

CC settings on the Motif XF ››