mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Expand Motif XF & Cubase setup to include FW Audio Interface, Cubase upgrades & integration"

Posted on: August 20, 2014 @ 01:04 PM
blmusicmuse
Total Posts:  18
Joined  09-12-2012

Hello Forum!  I am hoping someone has experience with using the Motif XF in a home recording studio environment, and I would appreciate any insight on this, so here goes…

I am currently using my Motif XF along with Cubase AI7 and I am looking to expand my recording capabilities to include recording acoustic drums and possibly live band sessions.  I do have the FW Expansion board installed in my Motif and I am running FW to my computer FW PCI card, which has 3 ports and a TI chipset.  This is working great to integrate my Motif with Cubase.  I still want the same integration with the computer that I currently have and also the current monitoring setup with my Motif, which is directly connected to a pair of Yamaha HS8’s.

My main question has to do with how I would best integrate a FW Audio Interface into my current setup in order to record multiple mics simultaneously.  I specifically need to know how I would properly hook-up the unit.  Would the Interface need to be a ‘standalone’ unit connected to the computer?  Would I connect my Motif to the Interface and then the Interface to the computer.  I would also like to monitor the sound coming out of the computer with something better than my computer speakers - i.e. powered monitor speakers.  Ideally, I’d like to be able to record the Motif into Cubase and record multiple instruments, drums, etc. without switching FW cables or other inputs.  Is this kind of setup possible?

Also, I am currently using Cubase AI7, but I am considering upgrading to either Artist or the full version.  If I upgrade will I still have the same level of integration I have with AI?

I hope these questions make sense and someone can help me!
Thanks for reading,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2014 @ 01:23 PM
bigbaby987
Total Posts:  59
Joined  03-05-2004

I have a very similar setup and as far as I know, you don’t need another interface.  The FW card should do everything you describe; which is why I bought the card myself.  Unfortunately, it is not working to its full potential right now for me.  I wish I could tell you more.  One thing I did learn was to download the XF Extension.  This will preconfigure your XF to Cubase.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS data to XF
Next Topic:

Motif XS sound libraries on XF question ››