mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading more than 1 voice library.."

Posted on: September 19, 2014 @ 05:14 PM
eighty8fingers
Total Posts:  20
Joined  02-24-2014

Hi. I’ve been learning about my new MOXF 8, including posting in the correct forum. ;)
Don’t hate me. I admittedly am slow when it comes to programming any computer. I have two voice libraries I would like loaded on my MOXF simultaneously (80s Pop Rock 1 and 2). Already, I have discovered when I try to load the second library, it overwrites all three User banks. I do not understand why I can’t just select User bank 1 or 2 and load a 2nd library in without disrupting all 3 banks. That being said, can someone explain the process for loading a 2nd library (all 128 voices) without overwriting User bank 3 (or 1 for that matter?) This thick head thanks you in advance. :) (ps. just confirming I do indeed have a 1 gig flashboard installed.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2014 @ 05:34 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
eighty8fingers - 19 September 2014 05:14 PM

...I have two voice libraries I would like loaded on my MOXF simultaneously (80s Pop Rock 1 and 2). Already, I have discovered when I try to load the second library, it overwrites all three User banks. I do not understand why I can’t just select User bank 1 or 2 and load a 2nd library in without disrupting all 3 banks....

Yes you can do that.  The key is to set the file Type to “1BankVoice” instead of ALL.  Then, you will be able to set the destination BANK as you wish...and all other USER BANKS will remain unchanged.  There is going to be one BANK of new VOICES in each library most likely.  Each “one BANK” of VOICES will probably be pointed to the same USER BANK, so your job is to LOAD (1) into its USER BANK, then LOAD the other into a different BANK of your choice...individually...as a 1BankVoice LOAD.

See page 156 of the MOXF Reference Manual, and the adjacent pages.  Post back if something isn’t clear.

EDIT: With regard to Libraries that have new Samples...don’t keep re-LOADING the samples multiple times.  This will only clog up your new Flash Board.  Once any Sample data is LOADED, any subsequent re-LOAD of VOICES or PERFORMANCES or other USER data that uses the Samples on the Flash Board should be LOADED without checking the “With Sample” box (referenced on page 157 of the Manual).  Once LOADED, sample data on your Flash Board will remain there until you specifically delete it or re-format the Flash Module.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2014 @ 05:38 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Thx cmayhle (you’re too quick for me!).

The Flashboard only houses new ‘samples’; the raw material/waveforms on which Voices can be based. It’s a bit of a head-scratching differentiation at first but there’s plenty of written and video material here to get you comfortable with Lingua Yamaha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2014 @ 08:45 PM
eighty8fingers
Joined  02-24-2014

Awesome! Thank you so much. I had read about “1BankVoice” but it did not click with me exactly what that option was and when I had it until you explained it here. Yay! Progress! I may reset again. If I do, would it be wise to load each bank with the option “1BankVoice” or do the first one as an all file and the 2nd as 1BankVoice. Just want to be sure I use the best method this time and there isn’t some drawback to doing that (i.e. loss of performances.)

I also read about not loading the samples more than once. I don’t fully understand what samples are, I guess. How do I know if I already have loaded particular samples, especially when it comes to loading a new bank?

One more question. How can I save my individual performance voices or voices that I have tweaked? I tried following the manual, but think I wound up saving all User voices as one file.

I appreciate the help. Programming the Yamaha reminds me of how it was to use DOS commands on a computer. (You guys are probably too young to know what that is. Trust me, it wasn’t fun! Thank God for Microsoft Windows and Apple! ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2014 @ 09:17 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
eighty8fingers - 19 September 2014 08:45 PM

Awesome! Thank you so much. I had read about “1BankVoice” but it did not click with me exactly what that option was and when I had it until you explained it here. Yay! Progress! I may reset again. If I do, would it be wise to load each bank with the option “1BankVoice” or do the first one as an all file and the 2nd as 1BankVoice. Just want to be sure I use the best method this time and there isn’t some drawback to doing that (i.e. loss of performances.)

I also read about not loading the samples more than once. I don’t fully understand what samples are, I guess. How do I know if I already have loaded particular samples, especially when it comes to loading a new bank?

One more question. How can I save my individual performance voices or voices that I have tweaked? I tried following the manual, but think I wound up saving all User voices as one file.

I appreciate the help. Programming the Yamaha reminds me of how it was to use DOS commands on a computer. (You guys are probably too young to know what that is. Trust me, it wasn’t fun! Thank God for Microsoft Windows and Apple! ;)

Last things first, I can’t speak for MrMotif, but I am definitely not too young to remember MS DOS.

Your (2) libraries use no new samples (see the description in the Shop).  That simply means that the Factory Sample data permanently within the machine is the source of the sounds for the libraries...and your Flash Board is not being used.  Only when new sample data is part of the Library is your Flash Board being used, as that is its sole function.

I would personally recommend not installing as an ALL file.  I would LOAD only the VOICE USER BANK (and/or PERFORMANCE BANK) that is included in the new library, and target the BANK of my choice in the keyboard.  Do the same with the 2nd Library, choosing a different target BANK in the machine.  This will leave all other USER data in the machine intact...i.e. a “known entity”.  You really don’t know what is contained in the other USER locations of the Library, so why take a chance by overwriting other USER data?

You STORE individual VOICES and PERFORMANCES you have tweaked...and want to keep...in the USER VOICE and PERFORMANCE BANKS within the machine under new names.  These are the same locations you STORE new library VOICES, such as you are now LOADING, so you must prioritize.

If you wish to SAVE these USER VOICES and PERFORMANCES (and SONGS and PATTERNS) outside the machine, you cannot do that individually...you must SAVE an ALL file...or an ALL VOICE file...etc.  No problem, these are small (2 or 3MB files) that contain all of the parameters that make your VOICES and PERFORMANCES what they are.

You can, however, LOAD single VOICES and PERFORMANCES back into the machine from these files.  They LOAD back in quickly, as you are not needing to LOAD sample (audio) data after you do it for the first time...to your Flash Board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2014 @ 07:32 PM
eighty8fingers
Joined  02-24-2014

Thx cmay! What you have said makes sense to me.
I have been saving my tweaked and created voices/performances under a new name. I was asking about saving them individually (should have said to a flash drive) for the purpose of loading them back in individually. I’ll try it and see if I can figure out how to do so (load in the individual voices. I think I know how.) I’m also going to try to clear my flashboard, because I suspect I may have saved extra stuff to it?

One thing I don’t understand, if my voice libraries did not have new samples, why was I required to get a flashboard before loading them?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2014 @ 08:00 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
eighty8fingers - 20 September 2014 07:32 PM

...One thing I don’t understand, if my voice libraries did not have new samples, why was I required to get a flashboard before loading them?

You weren’t.  Who told you that? 

There are libraries out there that use the native MOXF samples only.  They do not require a Flash Board.

Then there are libraries out there that use new Samples.  They do require a Flash Board.

Also, just to restate and clarify:  You cannot SAVE individual VOICES or PERFORMANCES to a USB thumb drive...however, you can LOAD individual VOICES or PERFORMANCES from a USB drive.

Page 155 of the MOXF Reference Manual gives you the (7) available options (File Types) to SAVE a file as.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2014 @ 09:13 PM
eighty8fingers
Joined  02-24-2014

When I purchased my libraries, loaded them on my flash drive, and then tried to load them into my Yamaha MOXF, I got a msg saying no flashboard installed or must install flashboard (or something to that effect.) I tried a couple of different times. After I bought the flashboard and installed it, I was able to load 1 of my voice libraries w/out a problem.

I just checked and sure enough, my flashboard has nothing on it. All free space.

I understand what you said about it saving all voices to my flash drive, but I can load one voice at a time back on. Now I just need to execute it. Thank you. You have been very helpful!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2014 @ 09:56 PM
eighty8fingers
Joined  02-24-2014

Ok. I’m getting somewhere! I was able to load a couple of my single saved voices/performances from my flash drive to my board after doing a factory reset.

Now I am trying to load the voice libraries from my flash drive to my board. I selected 1BankVoice, then the folder which contains Pop/Rock 1. On the left I can select User bank 1,2, or 3. This is the bank I want to store the voices, correct? Then, on the right I can select User 1, 2, 3, or drum. Which one contains the voices? I wasn’t able to peer into them to see which has the voices…

At least I’m making progress - lol!  ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2014 @ 10:01 PM
eighty8fingers
Joined  02-24-2014

Found it. I figured it must be User Bank 3 since it loads to 3. Maybe there’s hope for me yet. This is starting to make sense.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2014 @ 10:23 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Just so you know, the documentation that comes with an after-market library usually tells you which BANK the new VOICES are in, which also tells you which BANK the new VOICES will LOAD to...as an ALL file, if you don’t tell it something different!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2014 @ 10:30 PM
eighty8fingers
Joined  02-24-2014

Thanks! Got it all up and running. Now I have the confidence to continue making my own voices/performances. I “lost” a few in the beginning. :) I appreciate your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2014 @ 08:37 AM
sharpnines
Total Posts:  7
Joined  09-28-2010

I have an XF and even when I load as 1bank voice it overwrites other USR voice banks to the factory install. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2014 @ 08:56 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
sharpnines - 24 September 2014 08:37 AM

I have an XF and even when I load as 1bank voice it overwrites other USR voice banks to the factory install. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

I don’t know what you’re doing wrong with regard to using “1bank voice”, but posting about an XF issue in the MOXF forum just confuses things.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Recording performance to song
Next Topic:

MOXF 6/8 Other Voice Libraries ››