mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording Internally"

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 09:29 PM
Restless World
Total Posts:  5
Joined  08-29-2014

Sorry if this has been addressed but I could not find it on the forum anywhere. When I record internally to a song track the first few seconds is choppy with no sustain then it clears up and sounds great. Does anyone know what the issue could be. Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 09:45 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Restless World - 29 August 2014 09:29 PM

Sorry if this has been addressed but I could not find it on the forum anywhere. When I record internally to a song track the first few seconds is choppy with no sustain then it clears up and sounds great. Does anyone know what the issue could be. Thanks

Most likely:  You are pushing down the sustain pedal slightly...even ever-so-slightly...before the recording actually begins.

That means the machine doesn’t get the MIDI cc message sustain on until the next time you push the pedal.

The sustain MIDI message must be captured within the actual recording beginning/ending limits.  It will be picked up by the sequencer (after recording has commenced only) at the ON and OFF moments.  There is no actual message sent between those (2) points.

So...if you push down the pedal even a 32nd of a beat before the sequencer starts, the sustain will be absent until the next time you push the pedal down.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 09:54 PM
Restless World
Joined  08-29-2014

Thanks for the reply but no luck. I tried it with my foot away from the sustain and didn’t sustain it till after I recorded. Also tried it the other way around to make sure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 10:26 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Restless World - 29 August 2014 09:54 PM

Thanks for the reply but no luck. I tried it with my foot away from the sustain and didn’t sustain it till after I recorded. Also tried it the other way around to make sure.

Have you gone into SONG Edit and checked the event list to see if you have a Sustain message [Sustain (Hold 1) (Control Number 064)]?

If you see a Sustain-on message in the first measure, then you should have sustain.

Check page 45 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual for calling up the event list display.  See page 84 of the MOXF Reference Manual for Song Edit controls and parameters.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 10:29 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Restless World - 29 August 2014 09:54 PM

What cmayhle explained is typically the cause of what you’ve described. You can check the sequencer Event List to verify when the sustain message is being recorded - see page 45 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual. Scroll about halfway down the page of this thread, and you’ll find a similar situation and a resolution.

EDIT: cmayhle posted while I typed.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2014 @ 05:26 PM
Restless World
Joined  08-29-2014

Ok. I went to the song edit and see the sustain located on down the screen (where it kicks in on the recording). I go to the top of the song edit on the first one and hit insert. I type in 064 in the control number are then hit set. I hear a key being played. Back out and play the song, still with no sustain. What am I doing incorrect?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2014 @ 07:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Look closely at the original sustain-on event. You should see both that it’s Control Change (CC) 064 and that it has a Data value of 127. You should duplicate that event as the first one on the track. If you don’t enter the Data value, it defaults to 000, which would be sustain-off. If there happens to be a note event that precedes the new sustain-on event (which should be at Clock 000), move the note event to Clock 001. Once the note event is moved, you can change its Clock back to 000, and the sustain-on should remain as the first event.

Once done, compare the sustain-on event you inserted versus the one that comes later. Other than location, they should agree. Once they do, you can delete the original (now second) sustain-on event. That should do the trick.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 08:24 PM
Restless World
Joined  08-29-2014

Well, I guess it must be user error. :). I appreciate you taking time to help me. I tried what you mentioned with the control and data numbers. Even if I could get it to work properly, I’m wonder what is the reasoning is that I would have to go through each note the first measure to tell it what my sustain pedal is suppose to do. Do you think it is the pedal? (M-Audio s2). I use protools to record and I know I could get my recordings that way, I just like the idea of laying them down on the MOXF8 first. Again, thanks for your replies.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 08:52 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Restless World - 01 September 2014 08:24 PM

Well, I guess it must be user error. :). I appreciate you taking time to help me. I tried what you mentioned with the control and data numbers. Even if I could get it to work properly, I’m wonder what is the reasoning is that I would have to go through each note the first measure to tell it what my sustain pedal is suppose to do. Do you think it is the pedal? (M-Audio s2). I use protools to record and I know I could get my recordings that way, I just like the idea of laying them down on the MOXF8 first. Again, thanks for your replies.

Since we now know you are not using a Yamaha pedal, I think the pedal you have is definitely suspect.

There is no reason you should have to Edit MIDI data to get proper sustain on MIDI recording if the pedal is properly sending cc messages and you have verified you have pressed the pedal after you started recording (the latter point you have verified).

Some non-Yamaha pedals work OK with Yamaha keyboards, some don’t.  It appears yours may not be.

However, you may find This Thread interesting or useful.

I would recommend you try a Yamaha FC3 (preferred for the MOXF for its half-damper capabilities), an FC4, or even an FC5 pedal, and let us know how it works without needing to Edit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2014 @ 09:31 PM
Restless World
Joined  08-29-2014

Ok. I’ll let you know. Thanks

[ Ignore ]