mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Knobs Not Changing Paramaters"

Posted on: August 27, 2014 @ 11:49 PM
vintagevibe
Total Posts:  35
Joined  05-24-2014

I select a song.
Select EQ with the knobs 5-8 selector button.
I turn one of the 4 knobs.

It brings up the EQ parameter window but turning the knobs doesn’t change the values.  Same with all 4 knobs in Song or Voice mode.

Where did I go wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2014 @ 02:07 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Sounds like you’re either not on the right ‘Track’ in your Song or maybe the EQ settings have not been ‘grabbed’ i.e. when you move a knob the parameter value has not crossed the current (stored) value.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 03:33 PM
vintagevibe
Joined  05-24-2014

Recipe:

I go into song mode

select voice

arrow to voice #1

grab EQ knob - this brings up the eq window and it says PART01

I turn it through it a full 380 degrees

each knob brings up the correct EQ parameter but the values never change

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 04:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
vintagevibe - 29 August 2014 03:33 PM

[...]
each knob brings up the correct EQ parameter but the values never change

Does it work correctly in Voice mode?

Does it work correctly in Mix mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 05:16 PM
vintagevibe
Joined  05-24-2014

Same in all 3 modes.  I did notice that some parameters seem to work.  Portamento works on presets that have it turned on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 08:30 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
vintagevibe - 29 August 2014 05:16 PM

Same in all 3 modes.  I did notice that some parameters seem to work.  Portamento works on presets that have it turned on.

1) Are you saying that knobs other than the EQ ones also don’t work correctly?
2) Do you have Local Control turned ON or OFF? Are you using a DAW?
3) Which OS version is installed? (To check, press the [UTILITY] button, and then press [JOB], and read “Firm”.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2014 @ 02:32 AM
vintagevibe
Joined  05-24-2014

That was it.  Local control was off.  I thought that only effected the keyboard.  Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2014 @ 08:31 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
vintagevibe - 30 August 2014 02:32 AM

That was it.  Local control was off.  I thought that only effected the keyboard.  Thanks!

You’re welcome - but there’s more to the situation.

In addition to affecting the keyboard, knob MIDI Control Change data is not routed internally when Local Control is OFF. Although you didn’t say, presumably you’re using a DAW (Cubase, etc.) - because otherwise with Local Control OFF you’d likely be complaining that nothing was heard when you played the keys.

Since you didn’t mention lack of sound, apparently the DAW is echoing the keyboard note data back to the MOXF. However, it’s also apparent that the way the DAW is set up, the knob CC data is not being sent back to the MOXF. Turning Local Control back ON resolves that problem, but depending on how the DAW is set up, you could get a MIDI feedback loop (causing note doubling, etc.). If possible, it might be better to configure the DAW to echo the knob data to the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2014 @ 06:38 PM
vintagevibe
Joined  05-24-2014

I’m using Cubase 7.5 I suspect I have something else wrong in my setup since I can rarely get the VST version of the Editor to work.  I usually get “Port Open Error” or “Ports in Host have not been properly set.” The standalone usually works fine.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the MOXF/DAW setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 31, 2014 @ 07:47 PM
Benbop
Total Posts:  13
Joined  01-22-2014

You are not alone in your frustration with the MOX/Cubase setup, brother.  I got the same error message for many weeks until I finally did something right and now my MOXF8 and Cubase are on speaking terms.  I just followed the instructions provided here and watched the videos many times; it happens slowly.  Currently, I find it easier to record my songs on the internal sequencer, then transfer the whole song as bulk data to Cubase, where the tracks can be dissolved and then edited.  Just keep at it, and don’t be afraid to ask questions here.

[ Ignore ]