mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can you save a single user waveform (& its samples) independent of a .X3A “save all”?"

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 02:46 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

I am seeking suggested workflows on how I can save a user waveform (& its associated samples) - made on my motif xf- onto a usb flash drive. Is this possible without performing a “save all” .X3A?

Backtracking a bit … in Integrated Sampler mode, I recorded a bunch of samples as part of a single waveform. I then created a Voice using this waveform.  (I do not have any Flash Boards installed.) Before powering down, I created a .X3A file performing the “Save All” procedure onto my usb flash drive. When powering up the motif, I loaded the .X3A, and there was my new Voice with the new user waveform.

However, if I make a bunch of new sampled instruments, and continue making a new .X3A, eventually the multiple waveforms (& their sample sets) will exceed the 128 MB of included user ram in the motif. Then, I won’t be able to load a .X3A into the user SDRAM. Also, it feels unnecessary to have to create an entire .X3A everytime I make I create a new user waveform.

I currently do not have John Melas tools; but I plan on getting them later. I am doing all my work on the Motif itself. I have gone through Dave Polich’s XF Fully Loaded video, which I highly recommend as it really helped me get a handle on the Motif’s File Management. Working on the index I made to Polich’s video, I looked for this answer there, but did not get it. I did give a go at the Sampling section in the Reference Manual. I looked at the appropriate xf/xs articles on the gold mine articles on this motifator.com site. And I read the relevant results from a search on this forum. Certainly, I’ve missed something that already exists, but I figure I’d start a new topic, out of wanting to move on.

Thank you in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 03:35 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

I currently do not have John Melas tools- yet. I am doing all my work on the Motif itself.

I don’t have John Melas tools yet… but the more I read about how great they are, it’s almost time.
I think I even heard ‘The Bad One’ speak about the organizational skills that one can acquire by having some of them.
All that was done was put MELAS into the SEARCH BY KEYWORD at the top right of this page.

I am seeking suggested workflows on saving a user waveform on the motif xf. Specifically, I would like to save just a single waveform, or a single voice with its associated waveform.

One of the most basic that I needed to form a new habit with is titling the new waveforms with a unique name making it much easier to find.

If I make a bunch of new user waveforms, and continue making a new .X3A, eventually the multiple waveforms will exceed the 128 MB of included user ram in the motif.  Also, it feels unnecessary to have to create an entire .X3A everytime I make I create a new user waveform.

The .X3A is referred to around here as the ALLFILES BACKUP.
All Files is what it says it is, and again referencing older posts here on the forum, the .X3A is all needed, but can be reloaded selectively and especially for this issue.
By the way, I know a friend that has a 512 brand new from the anniversary promotion who already had two 1gb boards. He didn’t pay anything for it you could probably get for a steal!  :)
Marcus

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 12:16 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Thanks yamahaFan. I am hoping to find a way to save a single user waveform (& its samples) onto my usb flash drive; but not as part of a .X3A.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 12:48 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
dansetto - 21 August 2014 02:46 PM

...However, if I make a bunch of new sampled instruments, and continue making a new .X3A, eventually the multiple waveforms (& their sample sets) will exceed the 128 MB of included user ram in the motif. Then, I won’t be able to load a .X3A into the user SDRAM. Also, it feels unnecessary to have to create an entire .X3A everytime I make I create a new user waveform....

Suggestion #1:  SAVE as .X3W (All Waveform) file if that is all you need to LOAD/SAVE.  Yes, the Sample data included with it does take a while to handle.

Suggestion #2:  SAVE multiple .X3W files as required to keep the max. size of each under the USER memory limit.

Suggestion #3:  In support of what you already know...get a Flash Module as soon as you are able.  At that point, the ALL files you SAVE and LOAD will be 1MB to 2MB or so (without Samples), and will SAVE/LOAD very quickly when required.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 12:58 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Thank you cmayhle. I just was about to post “I think I found an answer on pp. 235-6 in the Reference Manual’s File Mode section.” and then came across your helpful reply. I was stuck in the Sampling chapter & didn’t consider the need to review the File Mode section. Thank you for the answer to my question!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 02:36 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Ok. I am able to save just a single waveform onto a USB flash drive. Thank you!

Now that I am entering this new aspect of the motif, it reminds me, as the manual and Bad Mister have stated, there are different Modes in the motif, e.g., Voice, Integrated Sampling, etc…. Furthermore, there are File actions, and Job actions, and Edit actions that function similarly, yet specifically to each of the different Modes. Having a sense of the Modes and Actions & noting the Actions relate to the prevailing Mode helps getting around this machine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2015 @ 02:46 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

I have created 2 waveforms in my XF’s internal RAM.

Am I able to save each waveform independently onto the attached USB stick?

I know I am able to save all waveforms as a .X3W. (As I luckily reminded my future self, this topic is is on p. 235 in the Reference manual.) I have yet to get into using the computer to aid in XF sampling & sample editing.)

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2015 @ 03:23 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
dsetto - 06 February 2015 02:46 PM

I have created 2 waveforms in my XF’s internal RAM.

Am I able to save each waveform independently onto the attached USB stick?

I know I am able to save all waveforms as a .X3W. (As I luckily reminded my future self, this topic is is on p. 235 in the Reference manual.) I have yet to get into using the computer to aid in XF sampling & sample editing.)

Thanks!

Since you know how to save .X3W files, you could save one that included both Waveforms. (Before proceeding, verify that your two Waveforms have been properly saved.) Then you could delete one of the two Waveforms in SDRAM, and save another .X3W file which would include only the remaining Waveform. Then delete that waveform from SDRAM, load just the other Waveform from the first .X3W, and finally save yet another .X3W which would include only the second Waveform.

Convoluted? Yes. Since a single Waveform can be loaded from a .X3W (All Waveform) file, unless you need smaller/independent files, all that could be avoided.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2015 @ 03:45 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Thanks 5pin.

Right now I don’t have a Flash board and am not using a computer to assist in the process. As such, it seems logical to me to have each of my user-created waveforms saved individually on a usb stick. So, the best sampling workflow for me will be to save a newly created waveform as an All Waveform .X3W while it’s still the only one in Ram, prior to creating a 2nd waveform. That’ll be fine. (I had forgotten how to do it, and I wanted to hurry up and create a 2nd waveform.) —Luckily, I searched & found this thread, which brought it all back, quickly.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Stage set up
Next Topic:

index to Motif XF Fully Loaded Video ››