mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Question About Saving Files to USB Thumbdrives"

Posted on: March 13, 2014 @ 12:26 PM
Jeff R 50
Total Posts:  159
Joined  01-11-2014

After recording only 4 songs on my MOXF8, I have filled up the internal memory already.  Not sure why the MOXF8 has 64 user songs and 64 user patterns available if you can only use a couple of them.  The songs are not especially complex or long and only are composed of about 6 tracks each. 

On that note, I have a couple of questions;

If I save the song files to a USB thumb drive, can I break the songs up as individual files or does it have to be saved as an “all file”?

Will saving the songs to a thumb drive delete them from the keyboard memory?

How do you go about reloading the files back in to the MOXF8 again so that they repopulate to the original pattern / song locations where they were created?

What is the internal memory capacity of the keyboard? (would I need a thumb drive of equal or larger capacity to save the files to)?

I look forward to being pointed in the right direction, Thank you very much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2014 @ 01:05 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If I save the song files to a USB thumb drive, can I break the songs up as individual files or does it have to be saved as an “all file”?

It has to be either an ALL data file (.X6A) or an ALL SONG (.X6S). You SAVE All but you can load single Songs from either one.

Will saving the songs to a thumb drive delete them from the keyboard memory?

No. You must [STORE] your Song to internal memory prior to Saving them to a file. They will remain in internal memory until you either CLEAR the Song, or overwrite it

How do you go about reloading the files back in to the MOXF8 again so that they repopulate to the original pattern / song locations where they were created?

Set the LOAD TYPE = ALL if you saved a .X6A file or set the LOAD TYPE = ALL SONG if you saved as a .X6S file.

If you set the Load TYPE = song! you can load an individual Song title and direct it to any Song location of your choosing.

What is the internal memory capacity of the keyboard? (would I need a thumb drive of equal or larger capacity to save the files to)?

Question is not clear. The sequencer memory is 896KB this memory is separate from the 384 User Voices, 32 Drum Kits, 32 Mixing Templates and user Arpeggios. Expanding your MOXF with a Flash Board increase the Wave Library memory from 741MB by either an additional 512MB or 1024MB depending on which FLASH Board you install.

Yes but you’d be hard pressed to find a storage device that was smaller than the data you need to store.

Just FYI: Song and Pattern locations can hold instrument Setups for live performing, they are not just for sequences. How many “Songs” you are able to fit will be totally dependent on your song.

The famous question is: how long is a song? How long is a piece of string?
Answer it depends on which song, or which piece of string.

If your songs are “Mary had a Little Lamb” length, getting 64 is not a problem. But basically you are able to get about a sets worth of music (based on a forty minute set being standard) ... Of course your mileage will vary depending on how you use controllers. Known wasters of huge amounts memory can be using a continuous control to change volume from one setting to another instead of just inserting a single volume event. Recording sustain pedal as a continuous control controller even when not utilizing the Half Dampering effect. Recording unnecessary values is a huge waster of memory - if a single event would do why record a continuous stream to get it done?

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2014 @ 01:24 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
Bad_Mister - 13 March 2014 01:05 PM

[Known wasters of huge amounts memory can be using a continuous control to change volume from one setting to another instead of just inserting a single volume event. Recording sustain pedal as a continuous control controller even when not utilizing the Half Dampering effect. Recording unnecessary values is a huge waster of memory

To add to BM’s reply:

Open up your songs in the Edit screen and see what you actually recorded. Playing a note generates one event when you press the key and a second event when you release the key. Doing a slow filter sweep with the cutoff knob can easily generate hundreds of events. If you are tweaking knobs and wheels on every track throughout a song you will eat up an awful lot of sequencer memory.

Keep in mind the memory is shared with your Patterns, too.  If like me you work in Pattern mode first then move your work into Song mode to polish it, your Pattern data is still taking up space!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2014 @ 02:08 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Thank you both for the replies.  I appreciate the assistance as always.  I have just been a little leery about trying to do this because I don’t want to lose anything or screw up something.  I’m sure this is much easier to do than I think it is.

Thank you again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2014 @ 02:18 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Jeff R 50 - 13 March 2014 02:08 PM

...I have just been a little leery about trying to do this because I don’t want to lose anything or screw up something…

For what it is worth, remember that keeping an ALL File backup of a machine status that is important to you is really quite simple and painless, and can be done at any time...with a simple date referenced in the name.

It will insure you do not “screw up something” that cannot be easily rectified.

Think of it in terms of a “restore point” (if you use a Windows computer OS).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2014 @ 04:28 PM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

cmayhle, thank you for the additional clarification.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2014 @ 11:40 PM
msian
Total Posts:  30
Joined  08-13-2014

Quote : The sequencer memory is 896KB this memory is separate from the 384 User Voices, 32 Drum Kits, 32 Mixing Templates and user Arpeggios. Expanding your MOXF with a Flash Board increase the Wave Library memory from 741MB by either an additional 512MB or 1024MB depending on which FLASH Board you install. Unquote

Hi guys , I am a newbie here, and I notice there are 64 songs in Song mode. I am building up my set up for performance and would like to clarify the above before I proceed to the right direction.
1/ Sequence memory is 896kb. - Correct me if I am wrong. does this mean that even if I install a Flash card , this seq memory of 896kb will not increase? Flash card only increases the Wave library?

2/ If the above is so, in order to increase my songs sequences, apart from creating a few songs in my Moxf8 , I would have to create SMF and have it played back from my laptop (using a midi file player) using Moxf as a tone generator.

3/ or are there other recommendations ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 12:09 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
msian - 21 August 2014 11:40 PM

Quote : The sequencer memory is 896KB this memory is separate from the 384 User Voices, 32 Drum Kits, 32 Mixing Templates and user Arpeggios. Expanding your MOXF with a Flash Board increase the Wave Library memory from 741MB by either an additional 512MB or 1024MB depending on which FLASH Board you install. Unquote

Hi guys , I am a newbie here, and I notice there are 64 songs in Song mode. I am building up my set up for performance and would like to clarify the above before I proceed to the right direction.
1/ Sequence memory is 896kb. - Correct me if I am wrong. does this mean that even if I install a Flash card , this seq memory of 896kb will not increase? Flash card only increases the Wave library?

2/ If the above is so, in order to increase my songs sequences, apart from creating a few songs in my Moxf8 , I would have to create SMF and have it played back from my laptop (using a midi file player) using Moxf as a tone generator.

3/ or are there other recommendations ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

1) You are correct, the Sequencer memory and the optional Flash memory are completely separate and have different functions.

2,3) No, you do not have to go the SMF and laptop route.  In fact, you are much better off if you don’t.  A SMF is a barebones MIDI file.  The native MOXF format, on the other hand, has all kinds of additional information and parameters that a SMF does not.

The sequencer will hold a number of SONGS...as Bad_Mister said, how many depends on how involved the SONGS are.  It will certainly hold a “set” worth of SONGS made up of typical stuff.

If you need a new “set” of SONGS in the next segment...that is where you use an ALL or ALL SONG file to quickly LOAD a new batch on the break...from your USB thumb drive.  Then you are ready to go again.

For what it is worth, you may find that the size of your SONGS may be bigger or smaller (data-wise) then ‘typical’ SONGS, so your mileage may vary (as Bad-Mister pointed out).

Some threads that may be helpful in managing the MOXF SONGS being LOADED and played by the sequencer:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/m/viewthread/471530/

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/469168/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 04:31 AM
earnonlinee
Total Posts:  2
Joined  08-22-2014

i have same question

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 01:16 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

To reiterate and precis other posts..

* To maximize space, look at your Songs and see if they contain any ‘unnecessary’ data like after-touch, pitch wheel etc. Filter out data under the Job menu.
* Songs, regardless of size (unless they are bringing in samples with them) take very little time to load so just having several ALL files with different Songs in your set should not pose a problem load-time-while-you’re-on-stage wise.
* SMFs are really best kept to using as starting off points or as transfer vehicles when transferring Songs or Patterns from one model MO/Motif to another.
* We cover all manner of file loading/saving issues in the new MOX In ‘N’ Out DVD/downloadable video if you need to really get a handle on this and prefer to ‘see and hear.’

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 02:23 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
earnonlinee - 22 August 2014 04:31 AM

i have same question

Thanks for the reply Mr Motif, please note your response is to a spammer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2014 @ 03:21 AM
msian
Joined  08-13-2014

Thank you cmayhle , your suggestion is well received. The issue here is that, while performing, I might get request , but there is always a way to play their request after the break. :-) I will also read the links you provided.

Thank you Mr Motif for your added info.

This is a wonderful machine, however a steep learning curve to me,for now. Terms like Templates ,etc, are still circling in my brain, however I am sure after reading more, I will undestand better. Always feeling good to have guys like you to assist when needed.

Thank you very much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 25, 2014 @ 11:26 AM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Hang in there msian, I know exactly how you feel about the steep learning curve on the MOXF8.  I got mine back in January and I am still learning new things on it everyday.  I found it best to take baby steps and just work on things a little at a time rather than trying to see and learn the big picture all at once.  It is a very complicated but impressive keyboard and I am amazed at it’s capabilities.  Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2014 @ 11:14 PM
msian
Joined  08-13-2014

Hi Jeff R50, Thanks a lot for your kind motivational words. Am hanging on bro,....am hanging on.

cheers

[ Ignore ]