mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Transferring Programs to Rental/Loaner"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: July 30, 2014 @ 11:35 AM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

Sorry, BM (or anyone) - I know I’ve asked this b4, but I want to be sure.  Flying out Friday for a show in ABQ, I’m now told they will get an XF7 for me so I don’t have to bring my board.  I do have samples on my flash card.

1.  If it is an XF8 instead of XF7, would that cause any problem (other than different key action)?

2. Can I just take my flash board and physically install (insert/screw in) it in the rental XF and load an “All Without Samples”, and all will be work correctly?  Or do I need to do something once I put the flash card in so it is recognized or ... ?

3. Should I bring both an All with Samples and All Without Samples file?  I don’t know if they might have the XF with a flash card installed.

4. If I loaded an All WITH Samples to an XF with my already populated flash board inside, that’d be a big screwup?

5. Alternately, could I use my laptop with my Melas library file and load Voices and Performances that way?  Will ANY XF interface/connect with the USB driver I have installed on my laptop?  My XF7 connects, I’ve never tried to connect to a different XF.

6. I will practice saving and loading tonight, I don’t do it that often (I save my variable data in Melas library every gig, but I seldom backup to USB) and return with any questions.  Any important things to do or watch out for, all advise very welcome. 

My first time relying on a backline provided board, a bit nervous. Supposed to be ~5k people at this festival, not a good time to learn I didn’t manage data well!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2014 @ 01:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
motidave - 30 July 2014 11:35 AM

Sorry, BM (or anyone) - I know I’ve asked this b4, but I want to be sure.  Flying out Friday for a show in ABQ, I’m now told they will get an XF7 for me so I don’t have to bring my board.  I do have samples on my flash card.

1.  If it is an XF8 instead of XF7, would that cause any problem (other than different key action)?

It shouldn’t matter.

motidave -

2. Can I just take my flash board and physically install (insert/screw in) it in the rental XF and load an “All Without Samples”, and all will be work correctly?  Or do I need to do something once I put the flash card in so it is recognized or ... ?

Installing the flash module and loading “all” “without sample” will be sufficient.

motidave -

3. Should I bring both an All with Samples and All Without Samples file?  I don’t know if they might have the XF with a flash card installed.

It wouldn’t hurt to have both, but hopefully you won’t need to install your samples. By the way, an “all” file saved “with sample” could still be loaded “without sample”.

If there’s a flash module already in the rental unit, I’d suggest just temporarily removing it and using the one you’re bringing. Otherwise, you’d have to determine if the rental one was blank, or if not, whether there was sufficient free space for your samples, and if not, delete the ones on it, then put yours on… It would be both time consuming and possibly lead to unanticipated problems.

motidave -

4. If I loaded an All WITH Samples to an XF with my already populated flash board inside, that’d be a big screwup?

You should avoid doing that.

Previous threads dealing with related issues - worth reading:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/458245/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/468318/

motidave -

5. Alternately, could I use my laptop with my Melas library file and load Voices and Performances that way?  Will ANY XF interface/connect with the USB driver I have installed on my laptop?  My XF7 connects, I’ve never tried to connect to a different XF.

6. I will practice saving and loading tonight, I don’t do it that often (I save my variable data in Melas library every gig, but I seldom backup to USB) and return with any questions.  Any important things to do or watch out for, all advise very welcome. 

My first time relying on a backline provided board, a bit nervous. Supposed to be ~5k people at this festival, not a good time to learn I didn’t manage data well!

I don’t use the Melas software, so I won’t comment on that. The USB driver should recognize whichever XF is connected.

Best of luck with your gig!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2014 @ 02:33 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

Thanks 5pin!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2014 @ 08:15 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

5pin
and many others here on Motifator
will always be
the REAL
gurus’ :) ... not me.
--------------
Motifdave, don’t worry so much.
Relax and know where your talent lives.
“The Power Of Positive Thought” really does work.
The brain, (that thing between the ears) :-)
...is like a computer… worry in = worry out....
...calm in = calm.

Post back let us all know how it went!

Be Blest Always!…
‘Indiana Jones’

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2014 @ 08:47 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

If you have Melas (sounds like you do) then it’d be a bonus to bring it along, just in case.  Now in terms of drivers, I’m guessing that the loaner xf will recognize yours, since it is xf specific. 

Have a blast!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2014 @ 08:08 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011
motidave - 30 July 2014 11:35 AM

After re-reading your post, I think I would make sure first upon sitting in front of the rental first time,
that it’s using v1.5.
Then,
again if it were me,
I’d bring out or put away the usb drive I brought only to update to v1.5 . (only item on it for less confusion)
Then I’d install the ALL File you brought on it’s usb drive with the sounds and everything you need.
I’m not the EXPERT by any definition....
but I was thinking how dependent voices are considering Firmware versions,
and that was not mentioned, and All Files don’t change Firmware.
They only deal with the firmware present the best they can.

And last, I would have allotted enough ‘comfortability-time’ playing it
to have it feel good,
just like it’s the one you have at home.
------------
This makes me remember the Clarence Clemons story about what he did before each show. If I can find that I will post.
In a ‘nutshell’, using the term loosely about myself :) ,
He’d arrive early with set list, watch set up and all the bustle, but then he’d sit quietly with eyes closed and rehearse the whole show in his mind… where he’d be, what he’d do, etc…
... most interesting pre-show preparation explanation I’ve ever read!

Clarence- always missed.
(January 11, 1942 – June 18, 2011)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2014 @ 09:17 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
IndianaJones - 31 July 2014 08:08 AM

[...] I think I would make sure first upon sitting in front of the rental first time,
that it’s using v1.5.
Then,
again if it were me,
I’d bring out or put away the usb drive I brought only to update to v1.5 . (only item on it for less confusion)
Then I’d install the ALL File you brought on it’s usb drive with the sounds and everything you need.
I’m not the EXPERT by any definition....
but I was thinking how dependent voices are considering Firmware versions,
and that was not mentioned, and All Files don’t change Firmware.
They only deal with the firmware present the best they can.[...]

This is a good point about the OS version that’s installed on the rental unit. It would be good if the rental unit has a version as recent as motidave‘s own XF. It’s OK if the rental unit has a later version.

If motidave has version 1.50 installed on his personal XF, and is using any of the effects added by that OS, then the following from the V1.50 Readme file is applicable:
- In case you attempt to load a file that was saved in a firmware version of V1.50 or later into a firmware version of V1.40 or earlier, the new Effect types that have been added to firmware version V1.50 would be replaced as “No Effect” or “Thru.”

Hopefully the backline rental company is on top of this, and motidave won’t have to deal with it himself.

Another bit of “insurance” would be to save the “all” file to two separate USB drives. Having a spare copy is reassuring, “just in case"…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2014 @ 02:20 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

My OS is not current, its a few generations old (I know, BM, I’m ashamed, embarrassed, I’m inescusable ...).  That shouldn’t be a problem for my library, I’m not using any of the latest adds to the OS.  I WILL bring a copy of the v1.50 install download just in case, thats a great idea/note!

I did All saves and then test runs last night.  I modified data on the board and saved, then reloaded my All (w/o) file to verify both my system settings and sound data all loads perfectly.  all looks great.

[Edit:  deleted question on FL1024 install - I found it].

Geting excited, plane departs in 28 hrs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2014 @ 02:40 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

My OS is not current, its a few generations old (I know, BM, I’m ashamed, embarrassed, I’m inescusable ...).

HAHA… TOo FuNny!
A great sense of humor is healthy!!
----------

[Edit:  deleted question on FL1024 install - I found it].

oh Man! I had what taught me all cued up!
Oh well…
I’ll put it up just for a laugh anyway.
“By the Way...... does anyone speak” ...FRENCH ! ??
----------

...have allotted enough ‘comfortability-time’ playing it
to have it feel good,
just like it’s the one you have at home.

-----------

Geting excited, plane departs in 28 hrs.

TEAR IT UP MAN!!!  :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2014 @ 02:55 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Francaise? Filet Mignon, Bernaise, and Moët Chandon. All you need.

Go get em’ Dave.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2014 @ 02:59 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

hey Stone
When you get to 500 posts
GURU!

Mr. Chatty Longwinded here ...  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2014 @ 03:26 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010
IndianaJones - 31 July 2014 02:59 PM

hey Stone
GURU!

are you padding your post count to reach Uber-Guru status?

I’ll get to 500 long before I’m ever a guru :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2014 @ 03:53 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011
motidave - 31 July 2014 03:26 PM

I’ll get to 500 long before I’m ever a guru :)

I found a post by someone in the Lounge many months ago,
maybe a full year back
that explained to my surprise
that that’s all it takes.
This person wasn’t sure and didn’t state the exact amount
but now I know it’s 500.
I’ve been watching it lately after noticing some here that were 600+.

I had always thought it was Motifator or Yamaha Staff
that would qualify
to bestow such a high honor
and responsibility of GURU to someone.

I agree too that I’ll never be anywhere near so many here
as far as exception knowledge and expertise.
The rule I’ve set for myself to maintain
is to never speak about it,
if I haven’t used it,
don’t own it,
and otherwise completely know nothing about the topic!  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2014 @ 12:24 AM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

hey Stone
GURU!

Hey Marcus, congrats to the guru. Nice hat by the way. Game Warden?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2014 @ 10:57 AM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010
stoneb3 - 01 August 2014 12:24 AM

hey Stone
GURU!

Hey Marcus, congrats to the guru. Nice hat by the way. Game Warden?

Croc hunter?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2014 @ 12:01 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Too obvious?  ;-)

Image Attachments
Jones hat.gif
  [ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic: