mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Re think about MOXF ?"

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 03:27 PM
MXF
Total Posts:  33
Joined  02-11-2012

Hi there I’m basically looking to buy MOXF6 but in the forum I have seen a topic ("MoXF slow and crashing?") which has given me reason to re think about buying so :
Please tell me is it true that the MOXF is Not 128 polyphony?
Actually I’m trying to sort out my budget I am thinking of getting integra, Tyros5 and MOXF6, I was going for the Roland FA6 but I found out that the integra and MOXF6 are compatible with each other (midi, controls ext) please can you tell me is this a good choice of Studio Recording equipment ? I also have used Motif xf and Kronos in the past.

I have seen a topic link:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472427/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 04:09 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

It appears the latest OS/Firmware that was just released a few days ago resolves the problem mentioned in the thread.  Yes, I have noticed the notes delaying (slow as mentioned in the thread), but I never had a crash or needed to reboot.

Regarding the polyphony, one thing to keep in mind is polyphony is based on the number of voice elements used.  A voice on the MOXF may contain up to 8 elements.  Most voices do not use this many, but it is possible.  To figure out polyphony, you need to count the number of elements per key.  If a voice uses 4 elements, a single key will use 4 of the polyphony count, pressing 5 keys will use 20 notes of polyphony.

With a performance, you can layer up to four voices at once.  Imagine if each voice uses all 8 elements.  A single key press will use 32 notes from the polyphony count.  That is unlikely, but the point is, using a performance with layers can start using up polyphony rather quickly.

This, to me, is a big differentiation between the MOX (64-note) and MOXF (128-note).  Polyphony is very important to me.

Sorry if you already know all of this.  Perhaps you are familiar with this from the Motif XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 04:13 PM
MeMyselfAndI64
Total Posts:  201
Joined  11-12-2013

The MOXF is 128 note polyphony so is the MOTIF and the Integra/FA etc

I use an Integra and an MOXF in my home studio but different users means different opinions for whats needed to get the job done:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 04:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
SSquared - 21 July 2014 04:09 PM

[...]Regarding the polyphony, one thing to keep in mind is polyphony is based on the number of voice elements used.  A voice on the MOXF may contain up to 8 elements.  Most voices do not use this many, but it is possible.  To figure out polyphony, you need to count the number of elements per key.  If a voice uses 4 elements, a single key will use 4 of the polyphony count, pressing 5 keys will use 20 notes of polyphony.[...]

Counting polyphony is a bit more complicated than that. Although about the XS, this support article can be applied to the MOXF:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/how_to_count_polyphony_motif_xs

Also, see my table of XS/XF Preset Voices and Element usage affected by AF1/AF2 here. Be sure to read the Notes at the end.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2014 @ 05:06 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

Thanks for the article links.  I did not want to get into XA, AF1/AF2 and the finer details as I thought it might over-complicate the point I was trying to make.  But thanks for linking to the articles as it is certainly good information to have and goes into better detail than my quick writeup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2014 @ 07:12 PM
MXF
Total Posts:  33
Joined  02-11-2012

Thanks for your reply, I understand that the moxf new update has fixed the problem actually I bought a brand new kronos and it had a faultly screen which gave me a huge problem with getting it replaced(also it didn’t have good PC integration korg really disappointed me) thats why I am being cautious about the Durability of moxf for example are their any known problems with the screen, knobs, keys, etc ?
I didn’t have any problems with motif XF I only sold it because I got a really great offer on it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2014 @ 11:55 PM
abdol
Total Posts:  318
Joined  05-30-2012
MXF - 22 July 2014 07:12 PM

Thanks for your reply, I understand that the moxf new update has fixed the problem actually I bought a brand new kronos and it had a faultly screen which gave me a huge problem with getting it replaced(also it didn’t have good PC integration korg really disappointed me) thats why I am being cautious about the Durability of moxf for example are their any known problems with the screen, knobs, keys, etc ?
I didn’t have any problems with motif XF I only sold it because I got a really great offer on it.

I guess the stepping issue is still there in MOXF. Just to let you know, MOX and MOXF both are using rotary knobs (they turn forever). It means when you turn the knobs fast enough in certain VOICES and EFFECTS you’ll hear the change between values (it’s like a step function rather than a nice smooth linear change in values). It’s mostly obvious if you want to use MOX as a controller, it changes the values like this:
1 2 5 10 20 40 80 160 320…
instead of
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11…

Although there is an option to change the ratio in the settings, but you can never achieve and get it work the way mod wheel does it. There is always a stepping issue and it renders the knobs useless. I contacted Yamaha and asked a return as I believe it’s an engineering flaw (if you can’t fix it through the hardware) their reply was It’s interesting and they will investigate it!
Knobs are pretty much inaccurate when it comes to live recording and working with DAWs.

PS you can search the forum about it. There are posts here about this issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF Flash expansion...new voices creation howto?
Next Topic:

Turn Me Loose patch ››