mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Charlie’s Dream"

Posted on: July 02, 2014 @ 06:45 PM
MikeHuntingford
Total Posts:  758
Joined  11-22-2009

After being away on vacation, I was really missing my keys and songwriting.  So, I got right down to it… here is the results of the first sitting after the vacation.  Easy-listening song that I am calling “Charlie’s Dream”.

I sure hope you all enjoy it.

Regards,

Mike

File Attachments
Charlies Dream.mp3  (File Size: 11243KB - Downloads: 429)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2014 @ 01:26 AM
sompost
Total Posts:  25
Joined  06-30-2013

Wow, that is a pretty little tune!

What keyboard did you record it on? I think I can just barely recognize some of the voices used, but given that this here is the motifator site, it would be really great if you could just write one line or two about how you recorded it, what voices were used, and where you found the magic ingredient that made it a great song… ;-)

Ralph

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2014 @ 12:33 PM
MikeHuntingford
Joined  11-22-2009

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for listening and thanks for your interest in the piece. A little background, I purchased my Yamaha MO6 back in 2009 - also when I joined this group.

The song: Well, let’s begin here, this is a multi-track song recorded into SONAR X3 Producer - all played live (except the backing track drums and bass - it just followed my chord scheme and was the first two tracks (mono L and R) laid down).  The whole thing is given its existence from a pleasing chord scheme - I just sit at the piano and play chords until it pops out to me - there, that’s it, this is a song.  Then the construction begins. Adding layer after layer until its done.

The following keyboards/modules were used:

a. Yamaha MO6
b. Yamaha PSR-S710
c. Yamaha EX-5
d. Roland BK-7m
e. KORG M3

Specific voices you recognize from MO were the Nylon Guitar, two sets of vocal choirs, the harp, two sets of chimes, and the organ at the end.  Specific voices of from the PSR-S710, the soprano sax and the alto sax, the French Horns, the Flugel Horn, and strings.  The EX-5 provided synth pad (strings).  The Roland BK-7m provided the backing track that consist of 4 voices (drums, bass, accompanying guitars).  The KORG M3 provided the Electric Piano, acoustic piano and a synth pad.  All together, that made the song.

My influence in most of my song writing has to be my love of smooth jazz, and also my love of Eagles (little bit in this one - EP scheme for instance), Earth Wind & Fire, George Benson, Alan Parsons, Mike Oldfield, Kool and the Gang, Temptations, Four Tops, Michael Jackson, Kenny G, etc....

As far as bringing it all together, I strive to include as many authentic sounding instruments/voices as possible, but in a way that is controlled and where they compliment each other and do not compete (unless that was my objective - and I have done that for effect). When playing voices that are soloing, I have learned (by doing) to play them within their real envelope (e.g., where a live player would play), and I have also tried to mimic inflections (bends for example) where I have experienced real players doing it (example: acoustic guitar, sax players, flute players, etc). I rarely use effects on the voices, but do occasionally edit their audio using Pro Channels and other tools in SONAR X3 Producer (I just upgraded from Studio). Spatial placement in the mix is extremely important and I spend a lot of time - tweaking placement by minute increments until it sounds good to me.  When I mix the final, I try to have a full spectrum sound, careful to not exceed the envelope, but I do get close on purpose to have that big full sound. While I don’t have any formal training, I have picked up some experience along the way (started playing in 2007) after retiring after 30-years in military. I tend now to know, at least to my ear, what instruments/voices sound good together. 

Hope that helps. 

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2014 @ 12:38 PM
edrave
Total Posts:  125
Joined  04-22-2008

Great piece! I vision myself on an island chilling out looking out at the ocean with my nice sweet drink and a cool wife by my side. LOL! Mix sounds incredible. Well done!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2014 @ 12:51 PM
MikeHuntingford
Joined  11-22-2009
edrave - 03 July 2014 12:38 PM

Great piece! I vision myself on an island chilling out looking out at the ocean with my nice sweet drink and a cool wife by my side. LOL! Mix sounds incredible. Well done!

Thanks Sir,

My job is done, I really use this music to help me find that relaxation point.  My co-workers always are amazed that I, the edgy guy, produces such mellow compositions...LOL.

Music is the way - IMHO.

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2014 @ 02:24 AM
sompost
Total Posts:  25
Joined  06-30-2013

Thanks for your detailed description! I didn’t mean to tie you down to the computer keyboard when a Yamaha keyboard sits right next to you. But I really enjoyed reading how your tune came to life. So thanks again, and keep those notes flowing!

Ralph

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2014 @ 12:29 PM
MikeHuntingford
Joined  11-22-2009
sompost - 04 July 2014 02:24 AM

Thanks for your detailed description! I didn’t mean to tie you down to the computer keyboard when a Yamaha keyboard sits right next to you. But I really enjoyed reading how your tune came to life. So thanks again, and keep those notes flowing!

Ralph

No problem, it was my pleasure, I like to talk about music anytime.

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pop
Next Topic:

My first song recorded with MOXF8 - Inspiration ››