mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Optimize DXR10 Monitor Setup"

Posted on: January 29, 2014 @ 11:58 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

I recently purchased a pair of DXR10’s to utilize in one of my monitor configurations (When I have the space required).

These speakers ROCK!

I feed my keyboard rig into a mixer (Yamaha MG102c), and I send the monitor outs of the mixer to one of the DXR10’s, which is then stereo-linked to the other DXR10.

I use (2) 15’ cables between the mixer and the first DXR10.  The mixer has impedance-balanced 1/4” TRS monitor (L & R) outputs.

However, the (L & R) 1/4” inputs @ the DXR10 are unbalanced.

My question involves optimizing this connection to minimize the possibility of inducing noise.

I could obviously just use unbalanced 1/4” TS cables to make the connections.  However:  Do I gain anythings by using 1/4” TRS balanced cables between the mixer and speaker?  Or...due to the unbalanced nature of the DXR10 stereo inputs...is this going to result in no additional noise suppression capability and just be an exercise in futility?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2014 @ 01:29 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Impedance-balanced outputs are alternatively referred to as “psuedo-balanced” or “quasi-balanced”. In contrast to transformer-balanced or active-balanced outputs, impedance-balanced outputs only drive the “hot” conductor. The “cold” one is connected to ground via a resistance equal to that of the impedance that drives the “hot” side, “balancing” hot and cold. An impedance-balanced output circuit is designed to be able to drive either a balanced or unbalanced input.

There’s no advantage in using TRS-to-TRS cables when connecting such an output to an unbalanced input. Most of the time TS-to-TS cables will do the job, especially if they’re kept short (15 feet is probably OK), and away from power cords. If there is hum, specialized (modified) cables can fix the problem.

This article does a good job of discussing the topic, and the section Floating, Psuedo, and Quasi-Balancing refers to a couple of ways to wire cables if standard TS ones don’t perform well under the usage we’re discussing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2014 @ 01:35 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
5pinDIN - 29 January 2014 01:29 PM

Impedance-balanced outputs are alternatively referred to as “psuedo-balanced” or “quasi-balanced”. In contrast to transformer-balanced or active-balanced outputs, impedance-balanced outputs only drive the “hot” conductor. The “cold” one is connected to ground via a resistance equal to that of the impedance that drives the “hot” side, “balancing” hot and cold. An impedance-balanced output circuit is designed to be able to drive either a balanced or unbalanced input.

There’s no advantage in using TRS-to-TRS cables when connecting such an output to an unbalanced input. Most of the time TS-to-TS cables will do the job, especially if they’re kept short (15 feet is probably OK), and away from power cords. If there is hum, specialized (modified) cables can fix the problem.

This article does a good job of discussing the topic, and the section Floating, Psuedo, and Quasi-Balancing refers to a couple of ways to wire cables if standard TS ones don’t perform well under the usage we’re discussing.

Thanks very much for that information 5pinDIN! (And I fixed the typo too!)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2014 @ 01:41 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 29 January 2014 01:35 PM

Thanks very much for that information 5pinDIN! (And I fixed the typo too!)

You’re very welcome, cmayhle !

May you have a playing experience free of hum (and other) noise/interference.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2014 @ 02:04 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
5pinDIN - 29 January 2014 01:41 PM

May you have a playing experience free of hum (and other) noise/interference.  :-)

You don’t happen to have anything to silence hecklers do you...?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2014 @ 03:16 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 29 January 2014 02:04 PM

A heckle filter? I’ll get right on it, but I might need design specs…

Actually, does it have to stop the entire venue from hearing the heckling, or just you? Because if it’s only you, get some IEMs and drown them out.  ;-)

Now that I think about it, that might explain the popularity of IEMs with certain bands.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 03, 2014 @ 04:48 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010
cmayhle - 29 January 2014 02:04 PM
5pinDIN - 29 January 2014 01:41 PM

My former piano teacher might recommend I practice more :)

[ Ignore ]