mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "No connection between Win7 and Rack ES with multi editor"

Posted on: May 08, 2014 @ 07:16 PM
appie747
Total Posts:  8
Joined  05-08-2014

Hello,

can’t get this to work. Ik downloader the driver, the rack is recognized in windows. But the editor or the studio manager don’t seem to communicate with the Rack. Ik “played” the OS update file, that went well but didn’t seem to help much.

Wo can get me started?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2014 @ 08:51 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In order for the Motif-Rack ES to communicate with the Studio Manager you must setup the ports.
Please tell us how you have the ports set.

Did you download the USB-MIDI Driver for your computer OS? Please tell us the version number.
And how you selected the Ports within Studio Manager. You actually make the ports available in the Studio Manager and then select them in the Multi Editor. Studio Manager is the “host” for the Editors.

Using Studio Connection Recall... This article is from 10 years ago, so there are newer drivers than mentioned here but it should help you with the setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2014 @ 07:28 AM
appie747
Joined  05-08-2014

Hello,

Yesterday I got a bit further I think but stil not far enough…

In the manager I have this: Modify workspace: device editor: Motif Rack es (multi) which I added to the workspace.
Midi Settings: input ports: Motif Rack-es1, output ports: GS table and Rack es 1 to 8, I only checked ES-1.
preferences: sync checked.

Remap midi ports; in every box it says Rack ES-1.

Synchronize Recall: I’m confused what is hardware… the laptop or the Rack ES?
From hardware: timed out.
To hardware: It works!

Then I open the Multi editor.
Setup: Remote in/out: not assigned, midi in / out: Rack ES-1, device 1, 0 ms, rotate.

At this point I don’t know how this should work. I see a big mixer, for one multi user? Transmit or recieve bulk doesn’t work.

Last week I updated the rack-es with a midi-file from the yamaha site. That took a long while but I think it worked.

Thanks for the help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2014 @ 08:24 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Synchronize Recall: I’m confused what is hardware… the laptop or the Rack ES?
From hardware: timed out.
To hardware: It works!

The hardware refers to the Motif-Rack ES

The fact that you are setting up the MULTI PART Editor, we assume you are in MULTI mode.
If the “from hardware” communication failed this means requests sent from the software to the hardware are not registering. The Editor sends a request to the Rack ES, and is getting no response from the rack ES (hardware).
Sending settings from the software to the Rack ES is working, this means you have the ability to send message in that direction.

Synchronize Recall allows you to set the direction of information. Mostly you store setting on your computer and when using the RACK ES as a tone generator with a DAW, You would recall a session and send the setting TO HARDWARE. I’m pretty sure that is the default setting and the most common use.

Make sense? You’ve created a set if sixteen sounds you use to sequence, and when you save you DAW project you want to save all your settings of the Rack ES, so that when you open this Project next month the computer will be set to send data TO THE HARDWARE (Rack ES) recalling and restoring all your settings from that session.

So set the option to default to “To Hardware”

When working properly any settings you make in the software will show up in the Rack ES (hardware) make sure you are connected and set to MIDI IN/OUT = USB

Questions for you:
Are you using a DAW?
Have you imported the current Voices from your Motif-Rack ES as outlined at the bottom of page 14 of the article?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2014 @ 10:02 AM
appie747
Joined  05-08-2014

Progress!!

Setting MIDI in out to USB did the trick. Now I have imported mij Voices.
I’m not using DAW at the moment, just trying to control my rack with a laptop.

In the multi editor, I see the part mixer and when I adjust something, the multi-led on the rack is responding.

But the question is now: which User am a changing when I do something in the part-editor (multi-mode). That I still can’t find out.

Thanks again, I’m getting there…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2014 @ 11:01 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Back in 2004 when this dual Editor format was still in use, you’ll need to import the User bank data, so that the Multi Editor knows what sounds (Voices) are currently in the instrument. The Voice Editor managed your User Voices… Setup the Voice Editor, capture the library currently occupying the User Banks, create a Voice Editor File (.w9e).

The article explains how to import the current Voice Library into the Multi Part Editor, this allows it to be aware of what Voices are in the current internal banks. That is why I in the previous post I asked: “Have you imported the current Voices from your Motif-Rack ES as outlined at the bottom of page 14 of the article?”

Once you have done so the actual User Names will appear where you expect them to be.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2014 @ 04:36 AM
earnonlinee
Total Posts:  2
Joined  08-22-2014

i have same problem

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Strange behavior - system exclusive problem
Next Topic:

Using Rack ES with 2 controllers ››