mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Should I upgrade to Mavericks?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 02:23 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi guys!

It’s been a long time since we last talked, so I hope 2014 will be a GREAT year for ALL of us!

I recently sold my MOXF8 and will receive my new (used actually) XF7 tomorrow, so I’m itching to get back to recording my originals ASAP.

The XF7 will have a FW16E installed on it, but I’m pretty sure it won’t have OS V1.50 Firmware on it.

My MacBook Pro has every current Driver and Software available for the XF installed and I am running OS 10.8.5 on the MBP.

My questions are:
1) Should I install Firmware V1.50 on the XF?
2) Should I upgrade to Mavericks at this point?

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 03:07 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

Mavericks is okay according to Yamaha and the version OS should be current on both however, it depends on what version your XF7 has.
Go slow ... check what to do… then verify what you’ve heard! :)
I’ve heard recently about a need to not skip older OS versions with this one v1.5, but I can’t agree with it as sometimes one can, and sometimes one can’t .  :)
... and I’m speaking from personal experience.... I skipped v1.2
going directly to v1.3, back then, and I’m running with iMac-Mavericks, Cubase 7.5. FW, and XF8.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 03:12 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

5pin just nailed it!
at http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/471090/P75/#570498
stated;

As you found out, there is no need to do an incremental update. The most recent version of the OS can be installed no matter which version is currently installed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 03:19 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 09 February 2014 02:23 PM

[...]The XF7 will have a FW16E installed on it, but I’m pretty sure it won’t have OS V1.50 Firmware on it. [...]Should I install Firmware V1.50 on the XF? [...]

My personal approach would be to first use the XF7 as received, and verify that it’s functioning correctly. That way, if there’s a problem, you can address it with the seller without any question of whether your having installed the OS update could be blamed.

Once you’ve determined that the XF7 is fully functional, I don’t see any reason to not install the new OS.

I’m not a “Mac guy”, so I don’t have any comment about Mavericks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 03:22 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

I’m not a “Mac guy”, so I don’t have any comment about Mavericks.

“once you’ve had a Mac, you never go back!” :)

... ask Vikas, another macbook pro.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 03:46 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Jerry…

Whilst Mavericks might be qualified by Yamaha in this situation, the real question is about the other software on your Mac.

Will that be compatible on Mavericks and if you update to Mavericks, will you get any problems with any of it by doing so?

So if you know you can do everything you always do on your Mac in Mavericks without issue, then update to Mavericks.

(that’s not just exclusive to Music applications and plugins either, consider EVERYTHING you do on your mac)

If you’ve got software that doesn’t yet work with Mavericks or hasn’t been updated for Mavericks, stay on the version you are on (Mountain Lion)

My experience of music making on Macs has taught me that I have a much easier time of it if I don’t always try to update to the absolute latest operating system right away given my software choices, but I have computers that I ONLY use for music and an ‘office’ computer I use for non music things making it easy to keep my music machines hanging back a little.  It’s usually the music software companies who take more time to update by comparison to regular use app companies who make browsers, office apps, video/music players and chat apps etc. (I may have just unwillingly announced myself as a Pro Tools user in that!)

Typically, Apple put an OS out and all the various companies seek to update their software in line with it. Often, it can take a quite a while to be in a situation where everything you use is compatible with the latest, but it depends what’s on your mac.

If you have any doubt, stay as you are and consider updating when you are able to find out more about the compatibility of everything you use.

If everything works as you currently are, there’s really no need to rush to update.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 05:33 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
philwoodmusic - 09 February 2014 03:46 PM

Whilst Mavericks might be qualified by Yamaha in this situation, the real question is about the other software on your Mac.

Will that be compatible on Mavericks and if you update to Mavericks, will you get any problems with any of it by doing so?

So if you know you can do everything you always do on your Mac in Mavericks without issue, then update to Mavericks.

(that’s not just exclusive to Music applications and plugins either, consider EVERYTHING you do on your mac)

If you’ve got software that doesn’t yet work with Mavericks or hasn’t been updated for Mavericks, stay on the version you are on (Mountain Lion)
If you have any doubt, stay as you are and consider updating when you are able to find out more about the compatibility of everything you use.

If everything works as you currently are, there’s really no need to rush to update.

I think philwoodmusic has put it very nicely. These are all very important and valid considerations before you decide to go ahead with an upgrade. And when you do, don’t forget to backup everything before upgrading, just in case.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2014 @ 02:20 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

Stay current.
I like Mavericks.
There’s already been one update so all are good to go.
My third party software is kept to a minimum on the computer we use for music production, and the others are even more clean, more pure MAC’s.
HP printers, Adobe Reader with Flash Player, Yamaha and Cubase.

A new feature I like very much is the System Preferences setting for the App Store. (screenshot below)

Go 4 it!  :)

Mvm

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 5.12.55 AM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2014 @ 07:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Careful, letting your computer do stuff in the background, it may decide to start a search for an update between the second verse and the chorus while you’re getting ready to punch in that synth lead part.

When recording, playing, mixing your music you want as much of your computer’s attention as you can get. Idle to a computer is a variable you can’t afford to let it experiment with… It usually has no penalty, if it grabs a few seconds to scan the web while your typing a letter, you hardly notice the momentary hesitation as you type. But if that was during your guitar solo or your vocal, you’ll hear that.

Just saying…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2014 @ 08:13 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011
Bad_Mister - 13 February 2014 07:43 AM

Careful, letting your computer do stuff in the background, it may decide to start a search for an update between the second verse and the chorus while you’re getting ready to punch in that synth lead part.

When recording, playing, mixing your music you want as much of your computer’s attention as you can get. Idle to a computer is a variable you can’t afford to let it experiment with… It usually has no penalty, if it grabs a few seconds to scan the web while your typing a letter, you hardly notice the momentary hesitation as you type. But if that was during your guitar solo or your vocal, you’ll hear that.

Just saying…

You are correct and a good point for portable macs.
The App Store System Preferences is settable and can be turned off for this feature when needed. Simply uncheck the boxes.
It’s a convenience that we appreciated though.
Leaving our iMacs on in the off hours we have found updates have been done seamlessly with no requirement from us. (screenshots)
We’re lucky to have iMacs (desktop) which is as quite as it gets.

Best Regards,
Vincent

*ENERGY SAVER settings;

1-*set for work then change App Store settings.
2-*set to 1 minute each for off hours then turn App Store back to on.

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 11.05.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-13 at 11.04.40 AM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2014 @ 05:34 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Thank you everyone!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2014 @ 08:04 PM
sjmarano
Total Posts:  29
Joined  01-27-2012

So this is for Jerry or anyone else who might want to offer me some advice.  I’ve been sticking steadfastly to Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on my MacBook Pro (early 2011 model) due to the many comments I’ve read on forums stating that 10.6.8 is THE most stable Mac OS and THE best version for music production. And that performance and reliability under any more recent version of OSX is spotty. The problem with this approach is that there is a noticeable accelerating trend now of music s/w vendors requiring something more current than 10.6.8 to run their new applications.

So am I being overly cautious in sticking with 10.6.8?
And the reason for posting here:  I currently use an XF8 and the FW16E as my principal keyboard in conjunction with the Mac.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve in Jersey

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2014 @ 08:56 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

I don’t have AppleCare support…
And not a huge fan of their forum, but at least it’s free.
I would never offer any advice that I would not want.
I would get advice from Apple, trying to avoid a charge, first on what I would be getting into skipping such an important update/upgrade as LION was and making certain any/all of my ‘unknowns’ are addressed.

I will always own a Mac over a PC period.
I will always stay ‘current’ for the best ‘Mac security.
Every 10 years or so, I’ll have a new Mac in addition to, or replacing the old.
(The above statement I apologize for as not everyone can afford it, and I am not boasting, it is only necessary for me to avoid internet spam and to always have the best security, which is why I bought my first Apple.)
I always stay ‘current’ with all that I trust and enjoy with respect to the manufacturers recommendations for software updates.
This allows their
‘second chance’ to fix something that customers have reported to them as needing attention, plus it gives them opportunity to add additional security to their product.
I have reported a couple of issues/suggestions in the past to MySteinberg and was pleasantly surprised when the version update arrived!
I won’t go on about this as you have not said if you use a DAW, SteinbergCubase or otherwise. Which btw, Yamaha now owns SteinbergCubase.
The integration/communication between the XF through the Mac into the DAW is only ‘STATE OF THE ART’! :-)
.... Truly exceptional, better than even LogicX that I purchased just to fine that out.

So there you have my two cents.
Best Regards.  Mvc

Present Equipment:
iMac 2011 3.4GHz 8G mem os v 10.9.2
MOTIF XF v1.5 Firmware FW Expansion Board > Belkin Fw 6 to 9 Pin > iMac
(btw, Apple makes a fine FW > THUNDERBOLT ADAPTOR for about 30 bucks that works)
Cubase 7.5 (current)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2014 @ 11:01 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
sjmarano - 24 April 2014 08:04 PM

So this is for Jerry or anyone else who might want to offer me some advice.  I’ve been sticking steadfastly to Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on my MacBook Pro (early 2011 model) due to the many comments I’ve read on forums stating that 10.6.8 is THE most stable Mac OS and THE best version for music production. And that performance and reliability under any more recent version of OSX is spotty. The problem with this approach is that there is a noticeable accelerating trend now of music s/w vendors requiring something more current than 10.6.8 to run their new applications.

So am I being overly cautious in sticking with 10.6.8?
And the reason for posting here:  I currently use an XF8 and the FW16E as my principal keyboard in conjunction with the Mac.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve in Jersey

Mavericks is still problematic for many audio and video users. Apple has hinted that there
will be a new O.S. at the end of this summer or early fall. I have no doubt it will be something like “Gold Mavericks” or “Mavericks Elite” that will fix what is wrong with Mavericks. Just as Snow Leopard was the fix for the mess that was Leopard, and Mountain
Lion was the fix for what was wrong with Lion.

I’d upgrade to Mountain Lion if I were you. I went from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and it has been a trouble-free experience. You can do a search for “Mountain Lion download”..
Apple still provides it, you have to pay 20 bucks, and it’s a bit convoluted to get it as they
send you an email with unlock codes that allow you to open another email with the download link which is connected to the App Store. But it’s worth the trouble.

The reason I upgrade to Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.5) was that some critical audio software that I use (UAD) was upgraded and no longer worked in Snow Leopard. You’re going to
run into this situation, too, where updates of stuff you use don’t work in SL.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2014 @ 11:32 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

@Steve in Jersey
Now there’s another opinion to trust.

Hello Mr. Polich!
It’s always good to read your current thoughts.  :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2014 @ 07:22 PM
sjmarano
Total Posts:  29
Joined  01-27-2012

Thanks Dave.
Funny you should mention Mountain Lion.
I went exactly that route.
A few weeks ago I purchased the right to download Mountain Lion, and received the unlock codes via e-mail as you described. ,
I didn’t get the chance to use the codes until two days ago.
When I went on the store site, I was able to successfully unlock the download rights such that it showed up as purchased item in my account.  But that’s when the trouble started.  Clicking on the DOWNLOAD link triggered an error message:  ‘This program is unavailable in the U.S.!!!  This despite the fact that they debited my credit card and sent me the activation codes.  And four e-mails to their customer service department(they do not provide for telephone support) have gone unanswered.  So much for the vaunted Apple customer service.  So I’m stuck in limbo now.  I really DON’T want them to refund my purchase.  I just want a copy of the OS that I paid for. 

Steve in Jersey

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2