mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Routing with RECORDING and PLAYBACK"

Posted on: April 24, 2014 @ 05:24 PM
el-Odysseas
Total Posts:  190
Joined  04-05-2012

Hallo everybody,

While recording 1-16 MIDI-TRACKS with the MOX-VST or playing them back, there are these routing options in the Cubase Inspector:

INPUT ROUTING:

1) All MIDI INPUTS
2) MOX6/MOX8 VST- Midi Out
3)Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1

OUTPUT ROUTING: 

1) MOX6/MOX8 VST- Midi In
2)Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1

Which of them should I choose while recording, and which while playing back the tracks?

Greetings,

Odysseas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2014 @ 07:10 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

INPUT ROUTING:

1) All MIDI INPUTS
2) MOX6/MOX8 VST- Midi Out
3)Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1

If you have setup the “In ‘ALL MIDI INPUTS’” in Cubase properly you would have marked “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1” as the primary MIDI INPUT. So actually selecting “In ‘ALL MIDI INPUTS’” or “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1” is the same thing.

If you have another set of keys you might opt to select it as well as an input source under “ALL MIDi INPUTS”
This is found DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI Port Setup…
This is where you check each device you want to have access to your Cubase MIDI Tracks.

MOXmidiPort_thumb.jpg

You would not use “MOX6/MOX8 VST - Midi Out” - that’s only if you want to record yourself playing the Editor’s keyboard with the mouse (yes, you could). Does that make sense...? the MIDI OUT of the MOX6/MOX8 VST -Midi Out is the MIDI Out of the Editor!!! - So unless you want to record your mouse clicks on the graphic interface, don’t select this option. Don’t laugh the higher you click on a key the softer it is, click near the bottom to increase velocity…

OUTPUT ROUTING:

1) MOX6/MOX8 VST- Midi In
2)Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1

Here you select “MOX6/MOX8 VST MidiIn”
this routing will allow the data from the MIDI Track to return through the VST Editor. You want this because it allows you to hear audio (virtual audio) through the VST INSTRUMENT Folder > MOX Sub Folder and the AUDO LANE contained within.

The MOX Editor VST is responsible for routing the AUDIO Return so that you can monitor it through Cubase. This is important to understand. Inside the Editor VST you go to FILE > VSTi SETUP > this is where the audio of the MOX is returned to Cubase. It is similar to what happens with any multi-timbral VSTi.

When you create the VST INSTRUMENT, you asked to create a MIDI Track assigned to this VSTi, when you create it, this is where the MIDI data is recorded for that instrument, the MIDI OUT of that Track is assigned to the VST (That is exactly what you have done, only difference is the MOX is external). The VSTi Engine then ‘returns’ audio through the VST INSTRUMENT Folder and the AUDIO LANE that is created for the returning audio.

The only difference is that the MOX is hardware and not generated by the same CPU that is running the DAW. It is hardware and has its own resources. The VST EDITOR interface - think of it as you would any soft synth’s graphic interface, only the VST EDITOR is connected in a bi-directional and simultaneous relationship with the MOX hardware.

hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2014 @ 06:49 AM
el-Odysseas
Joined  04-05-2012

Thank you very much!
I will still have to try everything for a better understanding!

I compared your MIDI-PORT-SETUP with mine, and realised that the YAMAHA MOX-Port 4 is missing.

May I send you some pics of my “overall” setup?
Do you notice something wrong?

Image Attachments
Device Setup-Midi Input, Midi Output.jpgMIDI PORT SETUP.jpgYamaha Steinberg USB ASIO.jpgSetup MOX VST.jpgVSTi-Setup MOX.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2014 @ 01:55 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Looks like you are setup to use the MOX as a VST.
Everything looks fine.

Don’t worry about Port 4, it is reserved for the Editor, nothing to select or set, the Editor is running! We assume you launched it inside of Cubase: DEVICES > VST INSTRUMENTS > EXTERNAL > MOX VST

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2014 @ 11:51 AM
el-Odysseas
Joined  04-05-2012

Thank you very much!
Recording and playing back midi works fine with this setup.

While playing back the tracks, the DAW volume fader, on the hardware (MOX) shouldn’t be up, otherwise I hear the signal 2 times: one through the direct monitoring of the MOX and one coming a little bit later from cubase.

If I record an audio track in my cubase project and try to play back everything (audio and midi) I have to increase the daw-volume, to be able to hear the audio.

Do I have to change the output-routing of the midi-tracks from

MOX6/MOX8 VST- Midi In  to Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1 ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2014 @ 09:05 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No, make sure your LOCAL CONTROL is set to OFF. This will prevent the sound you are playing “live” from doubling.

[ Ignore ]