mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Reset Exp/Volume pedal on midi channel change, and another question."

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 03:07 PM
greedo
Total Posts:  48
Joined  11-23-2010

Hello and first of all, please forgive my explanation skills :)
I want two things from my motif xf now. I really dont think i can do this, but maybe my first wish is doable.
IN SONG MODE
In some songs i want to use the expression pedal to fade out either the organ, strings or another voice. Then change the midi channel to another voice setup. After some midi/track changes i’m back to the channel with the organ sound. Now offcourse the volume is at zero. My question is, Are there any way to reset the controller when changing channels, so my organ begins at, lets say volume at 117 (random :). I don’t think this is vital info, but my organ uses output asnR and into a Mini Vent for Organ and back into the motif again.
My next question is, i play allot of progressive rock/metal and some voice changes are to fast for pushing a button to change voices. Just an example. I play some strings with my right hand and a minimoog sound with the left. I have to change to a piano sound, but theres no pause between the notes. Not even a 16th note :). OK i KNOW i can use a pedal to go from midi channel 1 to 2, but are there any solution for pre programmed pedal channel change? How can i go from channel 7 to 3 to 8, just with a pedal press? Are there any other solution for this? a programmable midi pedal with expression?

Ok thanks for reading all this, probably, nonsense :)
(hoping for an cool answer thou)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 07:53 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In some songs i want to use the expression pedal to fade out either the organ, strings or another voice. Then change the midi channel to another voice setup. After some midi/track changes i’m back to the channel with the organ sound. Now offcourse the volume is at zero. My question is, Are there any way to reset the controller when changing channels, so my organ begins at, lets say volume at 117 (random :).

MIDI data persists. This means that if left the Expression cc011 at a value of 0, there it will remain until you give it a new command. Simply selecting a MIDI channel does not initiate any kind of reset, that’s not how it works. The instrument has no idea if or what you are playing so how in the world could it reset to 117 or any other value for cc011?

The answer is: you give it a new cc011 command value either with a controller or a MIDI message from the sequencer. Or you recall the entire stored Program.

My next question is, i play allot of progressive rock/metal and some voice changes are to fast for pushing a button to change voices. Just an example. I play some strings with my right hand and a minimoog sound with the left. I have to change to a piano sound, but theres no pause between the notes. Not even a 16th note :). OK i KNOW i can use a pedal to go from midi channel 1 to 2, but are there any solution for pre programmed pedal channel change? How can i go from channel 7 to 3 to 8, just with a pedal press? Are there any other solution for this? a programmable midi pedal with expression?

Some people would try to solve your issue, I take the approach that if there is no time to push a button you will not be able to play that part… Hire a second keyboard player or use the technology to record the part you cannot.

In actual fact, if there is “no pause between the notes” then there is no way to pull off what you want to do. And besides if you KNOW how you can use a pedal to change channels! news to us! that might do it… How do you do that? Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2014 @ 09:22 AM
greedo
Joined  11-23-2010

In actual fact, if there is “no pause between the notes” then there is no way to pull off what you want to do. And besides if you KNOW how you can use a pedal to change channels! news to us! that might do it… How do you do that? Let us know.

Oh so sorry! I really misunderstood everything. I thought i could use a pedal to move to the closest midi channel in song, or master mode like Kurzweil’s and Kronos. Just like Jordan Rudess do it on stage :) Yeah yeah, say stupid things to me, but hes an inspiration how he do things live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7uEgXJB3lA (not a perfect example :))

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2014 @ 09:51 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You can change sounds but changing MIDI channels with a FOOT CONTROLLER is fairly impossible, as the FOOT CONTROLLER by definition is on a specific MIDI channel, so how does that work? It’s like trying to pull the rug out from under your own feet.

What you can do is press a front panel button to switch to a new sound - that is to say on your Motif XF. If other keyboards break this rule and can switch MIDI Transmit Channels via a Foot Pedal, I can only guess it is done with a System Exclusive message to tell the controller, as a whole, to switch transmit channels.

Certain MIDI messages will be illogical; a Channel message that switches channels, for example, or a START message - no matter what you do with the START message, putting it in a track of the sequencer will not cause the sequence to start… it is simply illogical to do so. A Start Message must be sent to the device, in REAL TIME

I don’t think he is switching MIDI channels with his feet, he might be switching programs with his feet, (quite a different thing)… which is totally possible on the Motif XF - but I am very detail oriented… because the “HOW TO”, has to be very specific… the devil is always in the details.

Switching between sounds can handled, quite uniquely on the XF, by using the XA CONTROL (Expanded Articulation Control) a fairly new tone generator function that allows musically dynamic changes in how a sound or a part of a sound is behaving. It is designed for quick on the fly changes - so that different attacks, for example, can be applied to a Voice dynamically. Mostly used within one sound but with a bit of inspiration, planning and creative programming you can easily use this to switch between entire VOICES and this can be done with a dedicated button or assigned to a FOOT CONTROLLER. But switching MIDI channels with a FOOT SWITCH - can’t say I know Kurzweil or Korg as well as I do Yamaha, but I can show how to accomplish this on the Yamaha using a FOOT SWITCH and the XA CONTROL function (but changing MIDI channels must be done with a dedicated button or external SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE message).

This downloadable Tutorial file has all the details and three examples of just how this can be accomplished. After completing the tutorial if you have a specific transition you want to accomplish post back here.

Advanced Application Tutorial: Motif XF XA CONTROL - Seamless Transitioning

To assign the [AF1] or [AF2] button to your Foot Switch, simply set the FS to send either cc086 or cc087, respectively.

Hope that helps

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2014 @ 02:03 PM
greedo
Joined  11-23-2010

This downloadable Tutorial file has all the details and three examples of just how this can be accomplished. After completing the tutorial if you have a specific transition you want to accomplish post back here.

To assign the [AF1] or [AF2] button to your Foot Switch, simply set the FS to send either cc086 or cc087, respectively.

Hope that helps

Thank you! :)
I see that every song needs a lot of planning. A lot!. But thats totally cool and kinda fun too :) I think i can achive what i wanted in the first place. I’ll post back after studying, and trying the tutorial :)

Best regards
Rolf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2014 @ 02:26 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
greedo - 24 April 2014 02:03 PM

...I see that every song needs a lot of planning. A lot!....

Just a slight correction:  Every SONG does not necessarily require “a lot of planning”!  There are some extremely quick and simple ways to jump-start recording...or live play...of a SONG or PATTERN, which preserves both the spontaneity and inspiration of the moment.

But as you suggest, there are also all the tools available to plan, shape, edit, and amend the smallest detail.

That is the true beauty of the machine! There are many ways to work...simply choose the best approach based on what you would like to achieve at that moment.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2014 @ 07:11 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010
Bad_Mister - 24 April 2014 09:51 AM

Switching between sounds can handled, quite uniquely on the XF, by using the XA CONTROL (Expanded Articulation Control)…

… Mostly used within one sound but with a bit of inspiration, planning and creative programming you can easily use this to switch between entire VOICES and this can be done with a dedicated button or assigned to a FOOT CONTROLLER. I can show how to accomplish this on the Yamaha using a FOOT SWITCH and the XA CONTROL function ...

Hope that helps

I use this method to switch “voices” seamlessly.  works great for me.  you have to program in advance of any live performance, but I can’t imagine performing live without “programming” everything I plan to do in advance anyway.

[ Ignore ]