mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Which firewire card for PC?"

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 05:16 PM
blmusicmuse
Total Posts:  18
Joined  09-12-2012

Hello,
I expect this question has been answered, but I can’t find the answer.  I have installed a FW16E in my Motif XF but don’t yet have a firewire card in my computer.  Do you know which firewire card I need to buy for my Desktop PC running Windows XP?  There are many different options.  Any other particulars I should be aware of when installing a firewire card in my computer? Thank you,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 03:11 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Call Customer Service 714.522.9000 Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm Pacific Daylight Time
They should be able to help you find an appropriate card.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 12:42 PM
blmusicmuse
Joined  09-12-2012
Bad_Mister - 23 April 2014 03:11 AM

Call Customer Service 714.522.9000 Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm Pacific Daylight Time
They should be able to help you find an appropriate card.

Thanks Bad_Mister, sounds like a plan.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 03:42 PM
iansimpsonit
Total Posts:  28
Joined  03-29-2014

Hi m8
I Have just built a new system and I purchased a FireWire Card with TI Chipset- 2 Port, PCI Express Works perfectly.

I have the Web address here http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire-c4/firewire-add-on-cards-c245/firewire-400-c400/firewire-card-with-ti-chipset-2-port-pci-express-p2634#2776

Hope this helps

Ian

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 06:13 PM
blmusicmuse
Joined  09-12-2012
iansimpsonit - 23 April 2014 03:42 PM

Hi m8
I Have just built a new system and I purchased a FireWire Card with TI Chipset- 2 Port, PCI Express Works perfectly.

I have the Web address here http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire-c4/firewire-add-on-cards-c245/firewire-400-c400/firewire-card-with-ti-chipset-2-port-pci-express-p2634#2776

Hope this helps

Ian

Greetings, and thanks very much for the help Ian.  I noticed this particular card has a 4-pin connector for 12V DC power.  Did you hook that up and is it required for operation?  Also of interest is the TI Chipset, which i have heard is best for audio work.  Did you specifically look for one with that?

Cheers,

Brian

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 07:01 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
blmusicmuse - 23 April 2014 06:13 PM

[...] I noticed this particular card has a 4-pin connector for 12V DC power.  Did you hook that up and is it required for operation?  Also of interest is the TI Chipset, which i have heard is best for audio work. [...]

Some FireWire peripherals consume significant power, and rather than supplying it through the computer’s bus, some multi-port cards get what’s needed directly from the power supply via that connector.

If the only thing you’re going to connect to the card is the FW16E, then it’s less likely that the additional power will be required. If the operation is unreliable, you could always connect the power.

TI chipsets have proven in general to be more likely to work correctly than some of the others out there.

By the way, the card that iansimpsonit linked to is a PCI Express (PCIe) type. Does your computer have that type of slot available?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 07:14 PM
blmusicmuse
Joined  09-12-2012
5pinDIN - 23 April 2014 07:01 PM
blmusicmuse - 23 April 2014 06:13 PM

[...] I noticed this particular card has a 4-pin connector for 12V DC power.  Did you hook that up and is it required for operation?  Also of interest is the TI Chipset, which i have heard is best for audio work. [...]

Some FireWire peripherals consume significant power, and rather than supplying it through the computer’s bus, some multi-port cards get what’s needed directly from the power supply via that connector.

If the only thing you’re going to connect to the card is the FW16E, then it’s less likely that the additional power will be required. If the operation is unreliable, you could always connect the power.

TI chipsets have proven in general to be more likely to work correctly than some of the others out there.

By the way, the card that iansimpsonit linked to is a PCI Express (PCIe) type. Does your computer have that type of slot available?

Thanks for your input 5pinDIN.  I am trying to make an old(er) computer from the office work as my music production computer.  It is a Dell Optiplex (520?? - I’ll have to check that).  I think it has a PCI Express slot, but I’m not certain.  I’ll get the model no. and check the owner’s manual.  Don’t think I’ll be connecting anything other than the FW16E - what else might I want to connect for music production?  Good on the TI chip - that’s what I’ve heard.  Of other interest is the fact that the OS is Windows XP, and I don’t think there are Cubase drivers available for XP, but I haven’t searched extensively.  I find myself wanting to use my limited time playing rather than doing extensive research, so thank goodness for this forum and the help I’ve received so far.  I hope to have something to contribute soon.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 08:26 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
blmusicmuse - 23 April 2014 07:14 PM

Thanks for your input 5pinDIN.  I am trying to make an old(er) computer from the office work as my music production computer.  It is a Dell Optiplex (520?? - I’ll have to check that).[...]

You’re welcome.

If you’re referring to the GX520, it came in a few different configurations, and expandability varies. The exact model number (suffix after GX520) will help determine what you’ve got, and what slot(s) might be available. It’s likely that at a minimum, a PCI slot will be open.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2014 @ 07:01 AM
iansimpsonit
Total Posts:  28
Joined  03-29-2014

Hi
I have always used the TI chipset with Cubase only ever had a problem when I used a via chipset.

yes I have hooked up the power supply to this card I just connected it because it was there.
you must check that you have a PCI express card though.

regards
Ian

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ SEARCHING For A Used Motif XS 7
Next Topic:

Loading new library with samples ››