mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading new library with samples"

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 07:20 PM
blmusicmuse
Total Posts:  18
Joined  09-12-2012

Hello,
I recently loaded the Chick’s Mark V library into FL1 in my Motif XF.  Before I did that, I saved an ‘all’ file (X3A) so that I didn’t lose the patterns I have done.  The install went fine, but I was surprised that my patterns were gone.  My patterns have stayed in the machine when I power down, but I can’t find them after I loaded the new library.  Is there a way of loading a new library and saving my patterns at the same time?  I hope I phrased this question correctly.  Alternatively, can I load only those patterns back into the machine without loading everything else?  thank you,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 07:28 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
blmusicmuse - 22 April 2014 07:20 PM

Hello,
I recently loaded the Chick’s Mark V library into FL1 in my Motif XF.  Before I did that, I saved an ‘all’ file (X3A) so that I didn’t lose the patterns I have done.  The install went fine, but I was surprised that my patterns were gone.  My patterns have stayed in the machine when I power down, but I can’t find them after I loaded the new library.  Is there a way of loading a new library and saving my patterns at the same time?  I hope I phrased this question correctly.  Alternatively, can I load only those patterns back into the machine without loading everything else?  thank you,

Anytime you LOAD an ALL file, ALL gets LOADED, including PATTERNS.

You have the choice to simply LOAD the VOICE BANKS from the ALL file, in which case the PATTERNS would not be overwritten.

Yes, you can easily LOAD your PATTERNS back into the machine from the ALL file you SAVED.  That was a good move!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 07:56 PM
blmusicmuse
Joined  09-12-2012
cmayhle - 22 April 2014 07:28 PM
blmusicmuse - 22 April 2014 07:20 PM

Hello,

Anytime you LOAD an ALL file, ALL gets LOADED, including PATTERNS.

You have the choice to simply LOAD the VOICE BANKS from the ALL file, in which case the PATTERNS would not be overwritten.

Yes, you can easily LOAD your PATTERNS back into the machine from the ALL file you SAVED.  That was a good move!

Thank you very much for your reply.  Do I understand correctly that patterns are stored in the sample ram (don’t know if that’s the correct term.  So, I wonder why a new library loaded to FL1 would delete data in the sample area?  In any case, it sounds like I can get them back.  So, in order to do this do I go to my X3A file and select the option for “patterns” as opposed to “all” and then they will load back into the sample ram?  One more thing - what if I want to get back an individual voice from the factory set USER4 bank, which are now all voices from the Chick’s library?  Do I have to delete a voice as all the banks are full?  Or do I have the option of loading those to the flash?  Sorry, but I’m pretty new to file management in the Motif and I’m having a little trouble understanding the concepts.  Incidentally, have you used the John Melas’ “Total Librarian” software for file management?  If so, do you have any feedback?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 08:14 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
blmusicmuse - 22 April 2014 07:56 PM

Thank you very much for your reply.  Do I understand correctly that patterns are stored in the sample ram (don’t know if that’s the correct term.  So, I wonder why a new library loaded to FL1 would delete data in the sample area?  In any case, it sounds like I can get them back.  So, in order to do this do I go to my X3A file and select the option for “patterns” as opposed to “all” and then they will load back into the sample ram?  One more thing - what if I want to get back an individual voice from the factory set USER4 bank, which are now all voices from the Chick’s library?  Do I have to delete a voice as all the banks are full?  Or do I have the option of loading those to the flash?  Sorry, but I’m pretty new to file management in the Motif and I’m having a little trouble understanding the concepts.  Incidentally, have you used the John Melas’ “Total Librarian” software for file management?  If so, do you have any feedback?

You only LOADED the sample data to the FL1 board!  The ALL file additionally contained every other aspect of a specific USER “set-up” for the machine:  VOICES (including the new Chick Corea VOICES), PERFORMANCES, PATTERNS, SONGS, MASTERS, Utility settings...etc.  It over-wrote your entire keyboard!

Yes, go to your ALL file and choose to LOAD only your PATTERNS if that is all you want.  However, don’t you have some custom VOICES in that file too?  Custom PERFORMANCES?  Custom SONGS?  Those things will have been overwritten also...but can easily be re-LOADED from your back-up file.

Factory USER4 BANK VOICES are all duplicates of the Pre-sets...don’t worry about them being gone.

I have the Melas Software (including Total Librarian) and would not give it up!  It really makes organizing and editing your USER data elegantly simple.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2014 @ 08:36 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

To restore your PATTERNS:
Press [PATTERN] to enter PATTERN mode
Press [FILE]
Set TYPE = Pattern
Move the cursor up to the DIRECTORY and using the DATA WHEEL or [INC/YES]/[DEC/NO] button highlight the backup ALL data file you made.

Press [ENTER]
The FILE will “open” and show you a list of the PATTERN titles you have Saved.
You can Highlight a number/title, using the RIGHT CURSOR and then the DOWN CURSOR move to the lower portion of the screen set the target PATTERN number you wish to load the selected PATTERN.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 12:47 PM
blmusicmuse
Joined  09-12-2012
cmayhle - 22 April 2014 08:14 PM
blmusicmuse - 22 April 2014 07:56 PM

You only LOADED the sample data to the FL1 board!  The ALL file additionally contained every other aspect of a specific USER “set-up” for the machine:  VOICES (including the new Chick Corea VOICES), PERFORMANCES, PATTERNS, SONGS, MASTERS, Utility settings...etc.  It over-wrote your entire keyboard!

Yes, go to your ALL file and choose to LOAD only your PATTERNS if that is all you want.  However, don’t you have some custom VOICES in that file too?  Custom PERFORMANCES?  Custom SONGS?  Those things will have been overwritten also...but can easily be re-LOADED from your back-up file.

Factory USER4 BANK VOICES are all duplicates of the Pre-sets...don’t worry about them being gone.

I have the Melas Software (including Total Librarian) and would not give it up!  It really makes organizing and editing your USER data elegantly simple.

Thanks again for all your help.  You knowledgeable folks are a big help to motif newbies like me and this is a great forum!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 12:55 PM
blmusicmuse
Joined  09-12-2012
Bad_Mister - 22 April 2014 08:36 PM

To restore your PATTERNS:
Press [PATTERN] to enter PATTERN mode
Press [FILE]
Set TYPE = Pattern
Move the cursor up to the DIRECTORY and using the DATA WHEEL or [INC/YES]/[DEC/NO] button highlight the backup ALL data file you made.

Press [ENTER]
The FILE will “open” and show you a list of the PATTERN titles you have Saved.
You can Highlight a number/title, using the RIGHT CURSOR and then the DOWN CURSOR move to the lower portion of the screen set the target PATTERN number you wish to load the selected PATTERN.

Thanks Bad_Mister your replies are always so thorough and clearly written.  One thing I don’t get is why would my patterns disappear when I loaded the Chick’s Mark V.  I don’t see the connection between the FL1 and the sample memory, if that’s the correct term.  I expect I’ll have some more basic questions as I learn more about editing voices, creating patterns, songs etc. and saving my work.  Good to know there is someone who really knows his motif!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 02:45 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The File TYPE is everything here.
If you SAVE an ALL data file (.X3A) it literally saves all user programmable settings (User Voices, Performances, User Arpeggios, Patterns, Songs, Master programs, Mix Templates, User SDRAM Waveforms and your Utility mode settings… And it will save the Waveforms and Samples of your Flash Board if you opt to Save “with Samples”

If you LOAD an ALL data file with TYPE = ALL it naturally loads all the data from the selected File. This means when you set TYPE = ALL and loaded the Chick Corea File, you told your XF to load all the settings that where in the Motif XF that made that ALL data file.

All means All.

You can, by setting the File TYPE accordingly, select to load certain particular data from within that ALL data file.

If you just wanted to load the Chick Corea Rhodes, you could have set the File TYPE = Voice, selected just the Voice or just the 1 Bank of Voices you wished to extract from that file, you do not have to select ALL, when loading.

All means everything.

The FL1 and FL2 have a separate setting for what to look for in a file. The Load Options for Flash will appear in the lower right corner of the screen when appropriate. There will be times when you will want to direct data to one Board or the other, there will we times when you are loading data but wish to make NO CHANGES to your Flash Boards ("None").

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 04:03 PM
blmusicmuse
Joined  09-12-2012
Bad_Mister - 23 April 2014 02:45 PM

The File TYPE is everything here.
If you SAVE an ALL data file (.X3A) it literally saves all user programmable settings (User Voices, Performances, User Arpeggios, Patterns, Songs, Master programs, Mix Templates, User SDRAM Waveforms and your Utility mode settings… And it will save the Waveforms and Samples of your Flash Board if you opt to Save “with Samples”

If you LOAD an ALL data file with TYPE = ALL it naturally loads all the data from the selected File. This means when you set TYPE = ALL and loaded the Chick Corea File, you told your XF to load all the settings that where in the Motif XF that made that ALL data file.

All means All.

You can, by setting the File TYPE accordingly, select to load certain particular data from within that ALL data file.

If you just wanted to load the Chick Corea Rhodes, you could have set the File TYPE = Voice, selected just the Voice or just the 1 Bank of Voices you wished to extract from that file, you do not have to select ALL, when loading.

All means everything.

The FL1 and FL2 have a separate setting for what to look for in a file. The Load Options for Flash will appear in the lower right corner of the screen when appropriate. There will be times when you will want to direct data to one Board or the other, there will we times when you are loading data but wish to make NO CHANGES to your Flash Boards ("None").

That’s a huge help in understanding this - Thanks!  I’ll try what you suggest when I get home.  For example, if I want to load the Rhodes only for the first time, I assume I need to load that VOICE “with samples”.  Is that right?  Alternatively, if I already have the samples loaded to FL1, I can load a voice “without samples”.  Thanks for your patience.  I will try to read up on this, but I find the reference manual very cumbersome.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 04:23 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

This video, available for download, explains EVERYTHING about loading and saving
data to your Motif XF:

http://www.keyfax.com/index.php/motif-xf-fully-loaded-download-only.html

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 04:29 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
blmusicmuse - 23 April 2014 04:03 PM

...That’s a huge help in understanding this - Thanks!  I’ll try what you suggest when I get home.  For example, if I want to load the Rhodes only for the first time, I assume I need to load that VOICE “with samples”.  Is that right?  Alternatively, if I already have the samples loaded to FL1, I can load a voice “without samples”.  Thanks for your patience.  I will try to read up on this, but I find the reference manual very cumbersome.

Yes, now you are starting to visualize it!

The reference manual is really for...reference.  It does not deal with the “how to” so much.

I really recommend you consider purchasing These DVD’s.

Don’t let the fact that they say XS mislead you, they also fully apply to the XF.

Then, This DVD.

I purchased these three videos shortly after getting my XF, and it turned out to be a wise investment!

EDIT:  DavePolich beat me to the punch

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2014 @ 12:13 PM
blmusicmuse
Joined  09-12-2012
DavePolich - 23 April 2014 04:23 PM

This video, available for download, explains EVERYTHING about loading and saving
data to your Motif XF:

http://www.keyfax.com/index.php/motif-xf-fully-loaded-download-only.html

Thanks Dave, I’ll definitely check that out.

[ Ignore ]