mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Stereo piano"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 12:58 PM
ChrisB
Total Posts:  41
Joined  11-08-2011

I use a StagePas 300 at home, and I’m happy with it, and has proved to be versatile - I’ve mixed things through it and used it at parties and for general music playback.

I suspect a pair of DXR10s would sound a lot better though, as would a 600i. I guess you’d really have to listen to the two alternatives to see if the 600i would be “good enough”.

However, on the issue of fans, the StagePas has one in its amp. When playing, I don’t notice it at all. At quiet volumes (bearing in mind the amp is about 3’ from me, and sitting on a table) I can hear it, but don’t notice it.

If the room is silent, and it is left on, then you can hear it. I turn it off when not using it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 01:50 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
chmoxf8 - 23 April 2014 12:41 PM

I had not really considered the noise factor from the DXR-10 fans into my consideration.  I am not sure that it would bother me, but I will have to check that out when I decide to make my purchase.  I am not sure though that I would be able to try them out at a shop when the environment was very quiet, since the local shop is usually busy and seldom quiet.  Since I am primarily playing in my basement, I would not place them much more than 5’ awaay from the keyboard on either side. Am I likely to hear the fans at that distance?.... 

As I mentioned, I place my speaker units on amp stands at either end of my keyboard rig, and in-plane with my body.  They are angled to point directly at my ears (I play standing), and each unit is approximately 4’ from each ear.  I have no fan noise issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 02:20 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
chmoxf8 - 23 April 2014 12:41 PM

I had not really considered the noise factor from the DXR-10 fans into my consideration.  I am not sure that it would bother me, but I will have to check that out when I decide to make my purchase. [...] FYI, I am not particularly young and I am sure that my hearing is not as good as it used to be. So, I might not hear the fans even if they are close to me. [...]

I don’t think the fan noise is an issue for most users, but I mentioned it because some people play in very quiet environments, and are sensitive to certain noises. I don’t own DXRs, but I have some Yamaha A-series samplers, which are fan cooled. My experience is that even if you notice such noise initially, your brain ignores it after a while.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2014 @ 02:29 PM
chmoxf8
Total Posts:  42
Joined  01-20-2014

From your comments, I don’t think the noise from the fans on the DXR-10 would be an issue for me at all.  It looks like I have all I need to know to make my decision.  Thanks again for all the help. I am pretty sure that I won’t be disappointed in a pair of DXR-10s.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2014 @ 02:19 PM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

I just hooked up a pair of my new Yamaha DXR-10 speakers.  They sound very good, and I can’t notice the fan noise at all when I am playing. I don’t plan on transporting the speakers very often but I would like to protect them from dust and scratches, etc.
I don’t think that Yamaha makes any dedicated covers for this specific speaker.  Any suggestions for what I can use that will fit the speakers fairly well?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2014 @ 02:52 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
chmoxf8 - 03 May 2014 02:19 PM

I just hooked up a pair of my new Yamaha DXR-10 speakers.  They sound very good, and I can’t notice the fan noise at all when I am playing. I don’t plan on transporting the speakers very often but I would like to protect them from dust and scratches, etc.
I don’t think that Yamaha makes any dedicated covers for this specific speaker.  Any suggestions for what I can use that will fit the speakers fairly well?

I don’t believe a slipcover is made for the DXR10’s, which is weird because you can get them for other DXR sizes.

They do make a padded bag however.  You can find it Here (among other sources).

If the increased bulk is not an issue, you can do what I have done until I am able to get a road box constructed:

The heavy cardboard boxes and foam inserts that came with the units makes a great travel carton.  You know those plastic punch-out handles that are snapped into large-screen TV cartons to make them easier to pick up?  I installed a couple of those in opposite sides of each DXR10 carton, and then use a couple of Velcro strips to hold the top flaps of the carton in place while being moved.

The handles make the bulky boxes easy to carry, and the top and bottom foam inserts are a perfect custom fit that hold the speakers suspended in the box...just the way they were shipped to you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2014 @ 05:10 PM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

Using the cardboard boxes with an added handle sounds like an inexpensive way to transport the speakers.  The padded bags you mentioned are pretty costly, and since I don’t plan on moving the speakers very often, I can’t justify the cost.  I was hoping to find a fairly simple dust cover that I can throw over the speakers when I am not playing them.  Something like the spandex nylon cover that I use for my keyboard.  I can always just use a plastic bag to cover the speakers, but that doesn’t look very elegant!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2014 @ 05:26 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
chmoxf8 - 03 May 2014 05:10 PM

Using the cardboard boxes with an added handle sounds like an inexpensive way to transport the speakers.  The padded bags you mentioned are pretty costly, and since I don’t plan on moving the speakers very often, I can’t justify the cost.  I was hoping to find a fairly simple dust cover that I can throw over the speakers when I am not playing them.  Something like the spandex nylon cover that I use for my keyboard.  I can always just use a plastic bag to cover the speakers, but that doesn’t look very elegant!

I agree that the Yamaha bags seem a bit overpriced.

The plastic bag “slipcovers” that the speakers came with could also be used by themselves.

If you have access to a music store that stocks various monitor speaker covers, why don’t you take one of you DXR10’s to the store and try some on?  You just might find one made for a different unit that fits.

Here is another idea, one that I looked into before deciding to use the cardboard boxes until I get the road cases I really want built:

I have a couple of these bags:

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Everest-30-inch-600-Denier-Polyester-Classic-Gear-Duffel/6026394/product.html?searchidx=1

I use them for misc. gear bags (pedals, cords, etc.), but you can also put one of your DXR10’s into this bag (or a similar one). 

Very tough bag, great value for the price.  I don’t think you could even find a slipcover for the price of these bags.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2014 @ 05:40 PM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

Thanks for those suggestions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2014 @ 09:52 AM
chmoxf8
Joined  01-20-2014

I am now MUCH happier with the piano sounds from my MOXF8.  After starting with a single Roland KC-350, I purchased a pair of Yamaha DXR10s.  I initially placed them on the ground (a concrete basement floor).  This was better than using a single Roland KC-350, but the piano sounds were still not quite right.  Some of the notes sounded almost out of tune and a bit muddy.  I decided to buy some speaker stands recommended by cmayhle on May 3rd.  I just set them up this morning, with the speakers laying on their sides.  This allows full access to all the controls on the speakers.  I was completely surprised by the improvement of the piano sound.  Raising them about 12 inches off the concrete floor was the single biggest improvement I have made.  I suggest that others that are not completely satisfied with the piano sounds on the MOXF series may wish to try this out as well.  I can’t get over what a difference it makes.  I realize that my set-up may not be ideal for everyone, but if it helps out anyone else, that is great.  Thanks again to all the forum members for their advice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2014 @ 11:59 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

A nicely made video of this topic.
Varieties of sizes with matching pole stands.
It also speaks about the U-Adaptor, which was not shown but is on Yamaha’s page, for laying speakers on their sides.

Kraft Music Video

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2