mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "USB interface drops"

Posted on: April 20, 2014 @ 02:15 PM
pieinear
Total Posts:  3
Joined  04-20-2014

I’m brand new to the MOXF8 and Motifator.  Greetings!

I’m running Mavericks 10.9.2 fully updated / Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.8.3 / Cubase AI7
I’ve been struggling for days to get my Mac to see the MOXF USB interface.
Would not show up in the Audio MIDI Setup, sound panel or even the bus via system profile

UNTIL, FINALLY
1 - I plugged my KORG Nano Key back in (which was recognized instantly as always)
2 - Unplugged it again
3 - THEN Plugged in the MOXF8
--- MOXF8 shows up!! ---
... for about 5 minutes and is gone again.

This is repeatable.

I’ve been scouring the net and it seems I am the only one in the known universe experiencing this issue.  Yamaha and Steinberg make no reference to this problem and the closest I come to worthwhile information is Motifator (as I am sure will surprise nobody reading this - KUDOS to this incredible resource!!)

The only thing I may be doing weird? I’m trying to use the USB for Audio in and ‘Built-in’ for out.  I don’t think this is the cause, however, because it was only after hours of trying to get the Mac to SEE the MOXF that I am able to attempt the configuration.

Anybody?

Signed
WitsEnd

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2014 @ 02:22 PM
pieinear
Joined  04-20-2014

BTW - uninstalled/reinstalled driver several times
and duplicated the whole scenario on a fresh user account

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2014 @ 04:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The only thing I may be doing weird? I’m trying to use the USB for Audio in and ‘Built-in’ for out.

Thats weird enough.

We are sure the YSUSB driver is different from you other driver, as the YSUSB does both MIDI and 4-in/2-out audio as well. Try following the recommended installation. Let us know.

You mention it “shows up” but do not mention in what application you’re using it, not sure we can offer any help without knowing how you are using it, but it will not use the built-in audio at all, ever. Just so you know you are wasting your time… The driver sets up the MOXF as the audio interface.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 02:31 AM
pieinear
Joined  04-20-2014
pieinear - 20 April 2014 02:15 PM

I’ve been struggling for days to get my Mac to see the MOXF USB interface.
Would not show up in the Audio MIDI Setup, sound panel or even the bus via system profile

Thanks Bad_Mister

Unfortunately, I’ve not even GOTTEN to the fun stuff yet. That’s my frustration.
I’ll take your word that my hopes of using ‘USB-in’ and ‘Headphones out’ for recording with Cubase AI7 is a bad idea, so when I actually GET the OS to recognize AND maintain a connection to the MOXF?  I will begin to figure out how to use it with Cubase AI7.

I’m talking about the basic part that is usually taken for granted, I’m sure:
1 Install the driver
2 Plug in MOXF USB
3 See “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8” in Audio MIDI Setup/Sound Panel/System profiler (as shown in attachments)

I get nothing

UNLESS I plug in and remove another USB MIDI device (in this case KORGs Nano Key) which shows up fine, without a driver.

THEN when I plug in the MOXF, it shows up as expected (as in the attachments).

This is basic OS level stuff.  I’ve re-installed the driver, re-booted in every possible sequence, deleted prefs.  Am I wrong to expect that the MOXF with it’s driver should just plug and play?

I guess what I’m looking for is anyone else who has or is experiencing this strange behavior and has discovered a fix?  It may be driver 1.8.3?  It may be Mavericks?  It may be that I need to go to the Apple forums if I am indeed alone with this ... but I don’t relish the idea of explaining to them what ‘MOXF’ stands for.

Thanks!

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 10.39.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-20 at 11.26.46 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2014 @ 11:28 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

This is basic OS level stuff.  I’ve re-installed the driver, re-booted in every possible sequence, deleted prefs.  Am I wrong to expect that the MOXF with it’s driver should just plug and play?

The MOXF is both a MIDI interface and an audio interface for your computer. Devices that do not use a driver just work with the computer’s (consumer grade) setup. You will need to use a low latency (pro) driver, not the computer’s built-in engine.

So anticipating setting it up without using the recommended driver is why you are having issues. Telling us about some device that uses the internal driver of your computer, is like talking about a game or a printer.

The MOXF is doing quite a bit more than your other device (I don’t know this device, you do, I presume). If you want to use the MOXF, I suggest you set it up as your computer’s audio and MIDI interface following its included directions. If this device has a 5-pin MIDI out connect it to the MOXF’s 5-pin MIDI IN, since it does not have a (pro) driver, the MOXF can support it on its Port 3. (the MOXF can act as a MIDI interface for one external device connected to its 5-pin MIDI IN jack).

The MOXF does quite a bit more than your other device… MOXF: 5 Ports of MIDI (each with 16 Channels), 4 channels of audio (dual stereo out from the MOXF) and stereo audio out from the computer which it then routes to your external speaker system connected to the L/R outputs of the MOXF.
MIDI Port 1 = music data (note-ons, controllers, tempo, etc)
MIDI Port 2 = dedicated for DAW Remote Control functions
MIDI Port 3 = one external MIDI device connected to the 5-pin jacks
MIDI Port 4 = reserved for the Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor
MIDI Port 5 = For VSTi remote control functions within DAWs

USB (Audio) 1/2 = Stereo output (A/D PART or Internal PART)
USB (Audio) 3/4 = Stereo output (Internal MOXF Parts)

USB (AUDIO) stereo from DAW arrives in the MOXF through the DAW LEVEL slider.

The MOXF is quite a bit more complex than your other device (we are pretty sure) so please expect it to setup completely differently. COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY!

I highly recommend you follow the instructions for setting up the MOXF, when setting up the MOXF. It is going to be different - do not draw any conclusions based on consumer product setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Autoload
Next Topic:

MOXF vs. S90XS ››