mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Connecting TWO Keyboards to the A/D Input"

Posted on: April 19, 2014 @ 07:22 PM
joesax
Total Posts:  185
Joined  03-11-2009

I currently have a Tyros 3 connected to the A/D Input. If I add another Workstation the most obvious way to connect both would be to add a small mixer and connect both to the mixer and the mixer to the A/D input.

Alternatively is there any downside to using two 1/4” Y-Female to Male connectors and just connect the keyboards to those and bypass a mixer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2014 @ 08:13 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
joesax - 19 April 2014 07:22 PM

[...]Alternatively is there any downside to using two 1/4” Y-Female to Male connectors and just connect the keyboards to those and bypass a mixer?

Depending on the design of the line output stages, you might get away with that, but I wouldn’t suggest it. You can get a decent small mixer at relatively low cost, and eliminate possible problems.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2014 @ 08:21 PM
joesax
Joined  03-11-2009

Thanks, 5PIN. Will a mixer degrade the sound in any way since it’s another device to feed the sounds through? I have been more than pleased with the quality of the Tyros 3 feed through the A/D Input.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2014 @ 08:44 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Never Y-cord signal to an input, nothing good ever comes of that. And sound people the world over will sleep better knowing that you’d never do that to your own gear.

A small format mixer does not have to degrade the signal, especially if you get one that’s worth it. Avoid those that are too inexpensive, it is better to invest in your mixer so that it enhances your sound, not degrades it. The new line of popular MG solutions from Yamaha (introduced at the Winter NAMM2014) have more on tap than you might think.

A mixer can either just (intelligently) combine and pass signal, or if you shop wisely, you can get one that actually enhances your signal path… With small format mixers you get what you pay for.

Yamaha MG06 or MG06x
There are 10 channel compact models as well (all mic stand mountable)

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/mixers/mg_xu/lineup.jsp

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2014 @ 08:48 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
joesax - 19 April 2014 08:21 PM

Thanks, 5PIN. Will a mixer degrade the sound in any way since it’s another device to feed the sounds through? I have been more than pleased with the quality of the Tyros 3 feed through the A/D Input.

I have used This Mixer for quite a while now, really excellent results.  To my ears it has not added any additional noise over the A/D inputs.

At the price offered from B & H Photo, I may even buy a spare!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2014 @ 09:07 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
joesax - 19 April 2014 08:21 PM

If you’re going to buy a mixer (you should, by the way), then the best thing to do is to
plug all three keyboards into the mixer - not two keyboard into the mixer and then the
mixer into the Motif. That’s just unnecessary.

Plug all three keyboards into the mixer, then the mixer’s left and right outputs go to
the house P.A. snake (if you’re gigging) or into your computer’s audio interface OR into
two powered monitors (if you’re in your home studio).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2014 @ 09:12 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
DavePolich - 19 April 2014 09:07 PM

If you’re going to buy a mixer (you should, by the way), then the best thing to do is to
plug all three keyboards into the mixer - not two keyboard into the mixer and then the
mixer into the Motif. That’s just unnecessary.

Plug all three keyboards into the mixer, then the mixer’s left and right outputs go to
the house P.A. snake (if you’re gigging) or into your computer’s audio interface OR into
two powered monitors (if you’re in your home studio).

I certainly agree with DavePolich.  I run my XF, slab piano, and Hammond module all into my mixer...in stereo...and send main and monitor signals, each in stereo.  Really works very nicely.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2014 @ 11:21 PM
joesax
Joined  03-11-2009

Bad Mister:

Thanks for your comments. I had a feeling the y-connection might be a bad idea. I’ll go the mixer route and I have been checking out the Yamaha line. They seem to offer the best value and quality for the money.

Dave:

I agree that connecting everything through the mixer is a good idea except I do like having an A/D input(my Tyros 3)and routing those sounds through the Motif effects. Also I send the Motif Digital output directly to my external Digital recorder. That’s my plan when I add as second workstation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2014 @ 12:26 AM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

MR816 CSX.  A very nice unit with stellar effects, and loaded with features.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ voice editing
Next Topic:

Looking for SKype help for Motif XF 8 ››