mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "â–ºA free application for the MOXâ—„ UPDATED again"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 17, 2014 @ 10:50 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Have you ever wondered what was in some of those X4A, X4V, X4S, or X4P files you’ve faithfully saved? Ever lost track of which file is hiding a certain Voice, Performance, Song, etc.? If so, please read on…

I found the motif2text app by Michael Trigoboff (for the XS and XF) to be useful, and I was inspired to do something similar for the MOX. I’ve previously written such programs for various synths. The main differences between those times and this are that I owned the synths, had some documentation of their file formats, had plenty of files for them on hand, and could therefore readily verify whether what I programmed actually worked. In the case of the MOX, I don’t own one, didn’t have the file format, had one MOX file, and if I was going to get anywhere with the project I would have to get some assistance - more about that below.

I’m releasing version 1.00 of my moX-TEXT program at this time. At least for now, it’s strictly a Windows program. The setup file in the attached zip will install moX-TEXT. A desktop icon shortcut, listing in the Start menu, and a Readme, will be installed. The program has been tested on Windows 2000, XP, and 7. It should run on any version of Windows from 2000 through 8, although Vista and 8 operation haven’t been verified. Minimum monitor resolution should be 1024x768. The installer is in moX-TEXTv1_00setup.zip (most recent update is moX-TEXTv2_10setup.zip).

Since some Windows installations have extremely protective anti-malware, the installer might run into some challenges. If you don’t feel comfortable telling the system to allow moX-TEXT to install, you could manually install it. In that case, download moX-TEXTv1_00.zip (most recent update is moX-TEXTv2_10.zip).

Please see the attached Readme for further details. It’s in ReadmeMOXv1_00.zip (most recent update is ReadmeMOXv2_10.zip).

For those not owning the MOX, or just wanting to try moX-TEXT on a file other than one of their own, MOX_ALL_factory.zip includes an X4A file of a factory-set MOX.

Due credit:
-------------
1) Thanks to Motifator forum member Michael Trigoboff for inspiring me to put my somewhat rusty programming skills to use again. His app is at http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471313

2) Thanks to forum member cdw, who made available his notes on the file format for the Motif XF. Although not completely applicable to the MOX format, it was a good starting point for my own investigation. https://gist.github.com/arachsys/2883877

3) Thanks to forum member philwoodmusic, who provided several MOX files.

4) Thanks to forum member jazz.preest, who also provided files as well as beta-tested early versions of the program and reported in depth what worked correctly (and what didn’t :-) ).

5) Thanks to a non-member of the forum (but who happens to be a close relative of mine) for beta-testing and general support.

Some background:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/471526/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/471783/

As I figured out the MOX file format, I’ve taken notes, similar to and based on those of cdw - I’ll make them available shortly. It’s my hope that Michael Trigoboff might use them to incorporate MOX capability in his motif2text app, and/or that others will find the information helpful or at least interesting.

If you try moX-TEXT, please let me know if you encounter any problems.

EDIT: Please see later post in this thread for links to updated version. 

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 07:40 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

As I figured out the MOX file format, I’ve taken notes, similar to and based on those of cdw - I’ll make them available shortly. It’s my hope that Michael Trigoboff might use them to incorporate MOX capability in his motif2text app, and/or that others will find the information helpful or at least interesting.

I, for one, will be very interested in your MOX file format notes.

And thank you, 5PinDin, for the MoX-TEXT utility; very generous of you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 08:37 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 18 April 2014 07:40 AM

I, for one, will be very interested in your MOX file format notes.

I’ll gladly send you a copy.

jazz.preest -

And thank you, 5PinDin, for the MoX-TEXT utility; very generous of you.

You’re welcome. I hope it proves useful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 10:26 AM
bgrosse
Total Posts:  465
Joined  07-06-2009

5pinDIN,

Thanks for this program.

I have downloaded and installed on my Win 7 PC and it works perfectly.

This is a very fast way to look inside a bunch of X4A files and better yet print out lists for cross reference.

Thanks again,

Bill G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 11:27 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
bgrosse - 18 April 2014 10:26 AM

5pinDIN,

Thanks for this program.

I have downloaded and installed on my Win 7 PC and it works perfectly.

This is a very fast way to look inside a bunch of X4A files and better yet print out lists for cross reference.

Thanks again,

Bill G

You’re welcome, and thanks for the positive comments.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2014 @ 09:16 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

moX-TEXT v1.01 Update

I found a very minor bug in moX-TEXT version 1.00 - when a non-MOX file was selected, the text indicating the file wasn’t valid was being saved to disk. Version 1.01 corrects that. Also, the Readme has been slightly reworked. Otherwise, the program is the same.

If you’ve already installed Version 1.00, v1.01 probably isn’t sufficiently different to merit updating.

Please report any problems found with this version.

EDIT: Scroll down for post with current version

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2014 @ 09:01 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m in the process of updating my moX-TEXT program. The new version adds listing of Main and Sub Category for each of the User Voices and the Performances.

The Yamaha documentation for the MOX unfortunately has some errors and omissions, and since I don’t own the MOX myself, I can’t readily verify that the Category listings my program produces are accurate. I did my best using information for the MOXF, etc., but I’d like for some folks with a MOX to verify that things are right.

I’ve attached a zip of mox-TEXT output based on a MOX “All” file generated after a factory reset. I’d appreciate it if a few owners would compare the Category info in the attached to a reset MOX. (Of course, please back up your MOX before resetting it.) I don’t expect anyone to look at every User Voice, but checking whether several at random seem correct would give me the confidence to post the updated program.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

EDIT: I’ve checked Performances against the MOX Data List, and the program output appears to agree with that. Since the factory User Voices aren’t listed (in order) in the Data List, I could still use verification of some of those.

File Attachments
MOX_ALL_factory.X4A.txt.zip  (File Size: 11KB - Downloads: 799)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2014 @ 06:04 PM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
5pinDIN - 25 December 2014 09:01 PM

I’m in the process of updating my moX-TEXT program. The new version adds listing of Main and Sub Category for each of the User Voices and the Performances...I’d like for some folks with a MOX to verify that things are right.

Hi 5PinDin,

Couldn’t find any defect based on:
1. Organized your voice, performance and master text into the Excel pivot tables (see attached Excel worksheet).
2. For all three modes, count is correct
3. For voice and performance, all categories are present
4. For voice, all voices in Piano category are correct; 5 random picks in other categories were correct
5. For performance, all performances in Rock/Pop are correct; 5 random picks in other categories were correct.

Nice work!

Best wishes for the holidays and the new year.

P.S. If you don’t have Excel, you will be able to view the pivot by downloading the free Excel viewer.

File Attachments
5PinDin - MOX-Text Review jp.zip  (File Size: 67KB - Downloads: 683)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2014 @ 07:24 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 26 December 2014 06:04 PM

Hi 5PinDin,

Couldn’t find any defect based on:
1. Organized your voice, performance and master text into the Excel pivot tables (see attached Excel worksheet).
2. For all three modes, count is correct
3. For voice and performance, all categories are present
4. For voice, all voices in Piano category are correct; 5 random picks in other categories were correct
5. For performance, all performances in Rock/Pop are correct; 5 random picks in other categories were correct.

Nice work!

Thanks jazz.preest! I appreciate the time you took with Excel. I don’t have Excel, but Open Office had no trouble with the .XLS file. In fact, it’s a good clue to others who might want to search MOX files for something in particular to use that approach.

Based on what you determined and my own further checking, it seems the program does indeed function correctly. That’s great, because while the programming wasn’t too difficult, the 17 Voice and 7 Performance Main Categories each having as many as 11 Sub Categories (not counting “No Assignment” ones) left room for typos at the very least.  :-)

Now comes the easy part (really) - all I have to do is compile it and package the result in a Windows installer. I’ll probably have it done by later today and will post the result.

jazz.preest -

Best wishes for the holidays and the new year.

Thank you - the same to you and yours.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2014 @ 08:39 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

moX-TEXT Update - v2.00

OK, here it is, my slightly belated Festivus gift to MOX owners. This version, as previously mentioned, adds Main and Sub Category to User Voice and Performance listings.

It seems to run well, but please report any problems if found.

EDIT: Scroll down for post with current version 2.10

File Attachments
moX-TEXTv2_00setup.zip  (File Size: 346KB - Downloads: 697)
MOX_ALL_factory.zip  (File Size: 288KB - Downloads: 697)
moX-TEXTv2_00.zip  (File Size: 84KB - Downloads: 657)
ReadmeMOXv2_00.zip  (File Size: 2KB - Downloads: 698)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2014 @ 08:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Google “Festivus” if you’re not familiar with it.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2015 @ 07:26 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

moX-TEXT Update - v2.10

I’ve updated my moX-TEXT program to include listing the Remote Control Templates that are saved as part of an “All” (.X4A) file.

File Attachments
moX-TEXTv2_10setup.zip  (File Size: 346KB - Downloads: 703)
MOX_ALL_factory.zip  (File Size: 288KB - Downloads: 656)
moX-TEXTv2_10.zip  (File Size: 84KB - Downloads: 657)
ReadmeMOXv2_10.zip  (File Size: 2KB - Downloads: 684)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2015 @ 07:25 PM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
5pinDIN - 28 June 2015 07:26 PM

moX-TEXT Update - v2.10

I’ve updated my moX-TEXT program to include listing the Remote Control Templates that are saved as part of an “All” (.X4A) file.

Thank you, 5PinDin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2015 @ 10:13 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 05 July 2015 07:25 PM
5pinDIN - 28 June 2015 07:26 PM

moX-TEXT Update - v2.10

Thank you, 5PinDin

You’re welcome, jazz.preest.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2017 @ 07:25 AM
Davelet
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-27-2017

I know this is a very old thread, and maybe I should start a new one, but 5pinDin do you know if this program that you have written will (a) work with Windows 10 (it throws up an error on my machine) and (b) work with MOXF .x6A files?

It’s the latter I’m really interested in - I’d love an application that could give the (excellent) information that your program appears to give for .x4a files for .x6a files also.

It looks like it’s a great program, by the way!

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2017 @ 10:58 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum, Davelet.

Davelet - 23 December 2017 07:25 AM

I know this is a very old thread, and maybe I should start a new one, but 5pinDin do you know if this program that you have written will (a) work with Windows 10 (it throws up an error on my machine) and (b) work with MOXF .x6A files?

Sorry, but I haven’t tested moX-TEXT on Windows 10. The computers I use run legacy software, and I don’t run that OS. In addition, unfortunately, the program won’t work with MOXF files, since the MOX and MOXF file formats are different.

Davelet -

It’s the latter I’m really interested in - I’d love an application that could give the (excellent) information that your program appears to give for .x4a files for .x6a files also.

The John Melas “Total Librarian” can provide some of the info. Even the 2.4.0 demo version (downloadable at http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/bundle.php) works, although I haven’t tried 2.5.0. Just “Import Native File...”, then “Export as Text...”. 

Davelet -

It looks like it’s a great program, by the way!

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ assign pitch blend to pedal
Next Topic:

Copy Arp Job - Where do I find it? ››