mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Audio interface and midi controller"

Posted on: April 12, 2014 @ 10:27 PM
phampton123
Total Posts:  62
Joined  12-30-2013

Hi,

I recently acquired a Roland jv-1080. I was going to shop for an audio interface, to record it in cubase, but wait...the mox6 is an audio interface. Can I use the mox6 as a midi controller for the JV-1080, while routing it through the a/D inputs and run the usb cable from the mox6 to my laptop to record it in cubase? Any special settings required? Or is there another way?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 07:52 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Short answer is that yes, you can do this.

These links should help get you going

Basic MIDI Recoding in Cubase

Basic Audio Recording 1 2 3

Setting up A/D Inputs for Recording

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 11:00 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Can I use the mox6 as a midi controller for the JV-1080, while routing it through the a/D inputs and run the usb cable from the mox6 to my laptop to record it in cubase? Any special settings required? Or is there another way?

The MOX6 is both an audio and MIDI interface for itself and one external device, when using the YSUSB driver.

You would setup to use your MOX in “4CH” mode. Plug the main L/R outputs to the L/R A/D input of the MOX, it will have its own discreet audio path to your computer DAW. It will be identified in the computer as USB 1/2. The internal Parts of the MOX will be USB 3/4.

You can also opt to connect and run MIDI thru the MOX as well. Because the 5-pin MIDI jacks would be otherwise ideal when setup to use the USB connection to a computer, Yamaha decided to make those jacks function as a MIDI interface for an external MIDI device… Signal simply passes thru the MOX on its way to the computer, and MIDI data send from the computer can be routed discreetly back Out the 5-pin MIDI Out.

This external device can now send and receive data directly with your DAW. It will be identified in the computer as “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-3” (Port 3). The internal MOX will be identified as “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1” (Port 1)

Work with Local Control = Off when recording MIDI tracks, and use the MOX keyboard as you controller, and the MIDI OUT of the currently selected Track to determine which device (Port 1 = MOX; Port 3 = JV1080) and which MIDI Channel 1-16 will respond.

When working with audio recording, the A/D input will always use the first pair (USB 1/2) of outputs, while internal Parts can be routed to either pair of outputs, as you may require.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 07:00 PM
phampton123
Joined  12-30-2013

Thanks again for all efforts. I can’t seem to get it to work. I will have to go through the steps again till I get it. I have the left and right outputs from the JV going into the A/D inputs in the MOX6. I have the A/D button on. I also have a pin midi cable running from the JV to the MOX6. The MOX6 is triggering the JV it is a rack synth. When I connect the usb from the MOX6 To my computer I am no longer able to trigger the JV. My recorded track in Cubase is blank. I don’t see the midi button flashing on the JV, and I don’t hear anything from my headphones connected to the JV. I also don’t see any bouncing bars on the cubase tack.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 07:57 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

First, when using a computer, you will set the MOX so that MIDI IN/OUT = USB
This will mean the MOX will NOT trigger the JV, unless you route the signal via the computer. If you don’t get clear on that none of this will make sense.

If no computer was involved, then a MIDI connection from the MOX to the JV would work. If course, but you have a computer involved so.... You are connected to and from the computer via a USB cable… All routing and rerouting of signal will take place in your computer software.

The keys you press on the MOX send MIDI out via USB to the computer. From the computer you select to which tone engine the signal triggers… If you route it back on USB Port 1 the signal will trigger the MOX. If you it on USB Port 3, the JV will respond. Nut at no time will the MOX trigger the JV without routing the signal through the computer. Make sense?

We can give no more additional information about how you setup without knowing what type of computer, and what computer operating system you are running.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 08:25 PM
phampton123
Joined  12-30-2013

Thanks bad_mister. Really starting to sink in. So I don’t need the L/R outputs to the MOX6 A/D inputs. I can just use a midi out from the MOX6 To the JV, and a usb cable from the MOX6 to the IBM T61 Laptop? I think I am running Windows 7. I know people prefer a Mac but I couldn’t afford one at the moment.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 12:09 AM
phampton123
Joined  12-30-2013

Wait I got it working! Thanks as always!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2014 @ 10:46 PM
phampton123
Joined  12-30-2013

In this situation, how do I convert my midi track to audio?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 07:29 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Again:
The MOX6 is both an audio and MIDI interface for itself and one external device, when using the YSUSB driver.

You would setup to use your MOX in “4CH” mode. Plug the main L/R outputs (of your JV unit) to the L/R A/D input of the MOX, it will have its own discreet audio path to your computer DAW. It will be identified in the computer as USB 1/2. The internal Parts of the MOX will be USB 3/4.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 01:06 PM
phampton123
Joined  12-30-2013

Thanks bad_mister. Have a good holiday weekend.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 04:19 PM
phampton123
Joined  12-30-2013

I have to give up on this and find another way. I just can’t get it. I set up the a/D inputs and run the usb to the computer, but when I add an audio track I get nothing. The connection between the mox6 and cubase is not working. I am not sure you can have the jv1080, have the mox6 as a controller, and record the audio output to Cubase. I have spent hours now tying to figure this out.

[ Ignore ]