mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF6 key action"

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 05:17 PM
tDogg
Total Posts:  54
Joined  09-05-2012

I am Considering purchasing one of the keyboards in the MoXF range for a new gigging keyboard. Went to a music shop and really liked the MOXF8 and would love to gig with an 88 key hammer action board but space in my car/studio is limited. I thought about the MoxF6 which they didn’t have on display but I was told that the keys are synth action like the MX range, which really doesn’t appeal to me.  I wouldn’t mind if the action was semi weight like the XF/XS but I really don’t like synth action. Even my girlfriend who doesn’t play keyboard and has puny little hands says the synth action reminds her of a toy keyboard she had as a child.

Questions:

1) Is the key action on the MOXF6 really that basic like the MX49?
2) Will Yamaha consider bringing out a 73 key version of their MOXF (like korg have done with the krome) but with the natural touch semi weighted key action?

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 05:44 PM
blake80
Total Posts:  110
Joined  03-14-2014

Hi,

If you haven’t already had a look at this thread then maybe it might be helpful;

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471949/

As regards to a 73 key MOXF I’m not sure but probably not. If it was going to happen it would already be out there when the MOXF was launched.

Blake.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2014 @ 07:36 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012
tDogg - 15 April 2014 05:17 PM

Questions:

2) Will Yamaha consider bringing out a 73 key version of their MOXF (like korg have done with the krome) but with the natural touch semi weighted key action?

Thanks.

1) Yes.
2) Yes they will consider it :)

On a serious note, because the mod/pitch bend wheels are on the top of the MOXF8 (vs the side of the MOXF6), it is only about 11 1/2 inches longer than the MOXF6.

Have you checked the dimensions in your car to see if those dimensions will work?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2014 @ 06:57 AM
PauloF
Total Posts:  37
Joined  08-28-2005
jerrydpi - 15 April 2014 07:36 PM

Questions:

Thanks.

1) Yes.
2) Yes they will consider it :)

On a serious note, because the mod/pitch bend wheels are on the top of the MOXF8 (vs the side of the MOXF6), it is only about 11 1/2 inches longer than the MOXF6.

Have you checked the dimensions in your car to see if those dimensions will work?

Sorry to disagree on the keyboard action comparison between the MX and the MOXF.
Before buying the MOXF I tried both MXs (49 and 61) and THAT felt like a toy.

The newly developed MOXF Keybed, although being a synth action one with lighter ( but a lot faster ) action when compared to my Roland A-800 Pro and PCR-500 half-weighted controllers, seems ( and feels) a lot better than the MX’s, at least IMHO.

The only thing I don’t really like (perhaps because I’m not used to) are the MOD Wheels, because I’ve always used Roland hardware until now… ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2014 @ 03:49 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Question:

....... I wouldn’t mind if the action was semi weight like the XF/XS but I really don’t like synth action

1) Yes.

PauloF - 16 April 2014 06:57 AM

Sorry to disagree on the keyboard action comparison between the MX and the MOXF.

The newly developed MOXF Keybed, although being a synth action one with lighter ( but a lot faster ) action when compared to my Roland A-800 Pro and PCR-500 half-weighted controllers, seems ( and feels) a lot better than the MX’s, at least IMHO.

Hi PauloF!

1) He asked if the key action on the MOXF6 was really that basic like the MX49.

It is really that basic (a synth action):)

2) He said he wouldn’t mind if the action was semi weight like the XF/XS but he really doesn’t like synth action.

The MOXF6 has a synth action.

Jerry

PS
Do you still like the FA (I do)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2014 @ 07:27 PM
PauloF
Joined  08-28-2005
jerrydpi - 16 April 2014 03:49 PM

Question:

....... I wouldn’t mind if the action was semi weight like the XF/XS but I really don’t like synth action

1) Yes.

PauloF - 16 April 2014 06:57 AM

Hi PauloF!

1) He asked if the key action on the MOXF6 was really that basic like the MX49.

It is really that basic (a synth action):)

2) He said he wouldn’t mind if the action was semi weight like the XF/XS but he really doesn’t like synth action.

The MOXF6 has a synth action.

Jerry

PS
Do you still like the FA (I do)?

I understood OP’s question, but the term “basic” seems a bit too basic for me :-)
Calling a synth action “basic” seems that the Piano action is the “sophisticated” one, where both are made for different purposes.
Piano action is better for Pianos and Synth action better for lead synths and Guitars, for example.

The MX keyboard action is definitely different (worse) to the one on the MOXF

P.S: I do like the FA, and I did not go for it as I already have a V-Synth XT and an integra-7, and thought it would be better for me to buy a different brand to complement my sound palette with something different that also included ARPS.
I was wondering between the Krome/Kross and the MOXF, but ended up going for the MOXF, and so far I’m happy, although is a complete different beast compared to my Rolands and the ones I had (RD-170, Fantom Xa, SonicCell, RS-70).

cheers,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2014 @ 02:00 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No, it is completely different.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2014 @ 06:01 AM
PauloF
Joined  08-28-2005
Bad_Mister - 17 April 2014 02:00 AM

Thanks Bad_Mister, at least someone agrees with my statement ( and tests)

“basic” doesn’t always means basic ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2014 @ 04:56 PM
tDogg
Total Posts:  54
Joined  09-05-2012

Thanks for all your responses guys.
I guess there seems to be a differing of opinions across the board with regard to key action but I’ll have to find a store that has one on display and try it out. The guy in the store told me it was identical to the MX49 that was on display and whilst he had MoxF6 in stock he was really reluctant to open one and bring it out for me. His loss I guess. If I struggle to find a store maybe buying on line with a merchant that provides a money back guarantee option might be an alternative.

In answer to JerryDPL - Yes I’ll have a look at the dimensions and measure my boot space.

I already own a Yamaha P95 which doesn’t fit in the boot, I have to place that in the back seats and the singer usually drives and his boot space is less than mine. But I agree, I won’t really make the call until i’m certain of the measurement.

On another note, recall back in the 90s when you could buy keyboard workstations made by Roland, Korg and Yamaha that had full size, semi weighted natural touch keys with after touch. That was a given. The big 3, particularly Yamaha seem to have paid less attention to key action with their more recent product lines like the MOXF6,MOX6. I used to own a Roland Juno G and whilst it was a great little keyboard it wasn’t the best action.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2014 @ 05:50 PM
blake80
Total Posts:  110
Joined  03-14-2014

I can only vouch for the MOXF8 which for the money has a really nice piano fully weighted action. If I was to be picky it could be a little faster but I got used to it in no time.

You really need to look at the whole picture. I appreciate your comment about synth actions of the day in the 90s.

Can you imagine how much a MOXF8 would have cost in the 90s!?

741MB of on board waveforms. 16 insert effects over 8 parts.

1GB of flash RAM for user sounds!

tempo syncable LFO’s, effects!

Unlimited recording software for free!

WOW that would be the synth for only the elite or super rich.

So my point is look at the big picture you wont be disappointed.

Good luck.

Blake.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2014 @ 01:49 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
PauloF - 17 April 2014 06:01 AM
Bad_Mister - 17 April 2014 02:00 AM

Thanks Bad_Mister, at least someone agrees with my statement ( and tests)

“basic” doesn’t always means basic ;-)

PauloF and my Mentor,

tDogg said that he wouldn’t mind semi weighted keys, but doesn’t really like synth action.

I interpreted that as he does not like synth action and he doesn’t mind semi weighted action :)

By definition, semi-weighted keys combine the spring-loaded mechanism of synth actions with the addition of light weights attached to each key.

Synth action keys use springs, rather than weights, to return the key to its initial position. Synth action keyboards produce a quicker and lighter feel than semi weighted keys.

Are the keys on the MOXF6 semi weighted with weights attached to the keys or are they synth action?

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2014 @ 05:56 AM
bonivyr
Total Posts:  141
Joined  11-15-2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_DcljpKnIM MOXF8 - GHS

http://www.syntaur.com/yamaha_mo.html View keys for: MOX6 MOX8

[ Ignore ]