mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "program change"

Posted on: October 12, 2013 @ 12:00 PM
raylamatrice
Total Posts:  29
Joined  10-04-2013

PROGRAM CHANGE OR TRIGGER A PERFORMANCE CHANGE FROM ANOTHER DEVICE /KEYBOARD

How do you trigger a program change or performance change from another device? What numbers or values need to be used to make that happen particularly the Performance change ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2013 @ 02:52 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

MSB = 063
LSB = 080
PC = 0-127

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2013 @ 05:32 PM
raylamatrice
Joined  10-04-2013

Thanks
I noticed that the Midi Channel (Basic Channel) is set to 1
Can that be changed for each individual performance when the performance is stored, or is the Basic Midi Chanel a Global Setting?

I also noticed that there is only Options for 1 - 16 Basic Midi Channel or Off.  Isn’t there an option for Any or All Midi Channels ?
Sometimes it’s not convenient to always use channel 1 for Program Changes ?
So can Each Saved Performance have it’s own Basic Midi Channel for incoming Program Changes from the other source ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2013 @ 06:00 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Can that be changed for each individual performance when the performance is stored, or is the Basic Midi Chanel a Global Setting?

I also noticed that there is only Options for 1 - 16 Basic Midi Channel or Off.  Isn’t there an option for Any or All Midi Channels ?
Sometimes it’s not convenient to always use channel 1 for Program Changes ?
So can Each Saved Performance have it’s own Basic Midi Channel for incoming Program Changes from the other source ?

No. Basic = Global.
No.
It is always convenient to have the Global channel equal to one of the sixteen channels or OFF.
No. Global = Global.

You do realize that a PROGRAM CHANGE to change the entire PERFORMANCE is one thing, you can address the VOICES on each MIDI channel via their own Bank Select and Program Change, so if you want to change the individual Voices you can send the message on that MIDI channel. Of course, all PARTS assigned to the MIDI channel will change.

You don’t mention what your goal is, so we cannot offer you other options.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2013 @ 04:46 PM
raylamatrice
Joined  10-04-2013

Many Thanks
I noticed something weird: Im using a key board with 4 sep zones set to 4 different midi channels - I noticed that if the organ sound is not on ch1 the foot pedal has not effect on it ?  However if I call up that part and play it on the keyboard from the part menu the pedal works then ?
What should I do to make the pedal affect the organ when its on a different channel than 1 ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2013 @ 05:14 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, not enough info to figure out what you are doing. The pedal (?) is plugged into which keyboard?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2013 @ 05:51 PM
raylamatrice
Joined  10-04-2013

Let me put it another way:
Organ sound that I already assigned to Foot Pedal to speed and slow down rotary is on midi channel 3 - When I call up the part and audition it on the keyboard of mx61 pedal works on rotary , but as soon as I get out of part mode and trigger that sound from the external source even though the foot pedal is plugged into the mx61 it no longer affects the rotary ?
Do midi channels have to be assigned to parts along with pedal assignments and if so how ?
Many Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2013 @ 06:10 PM
raylamatrice
Joined  10-04-2013

I just did some experimenting If the organ is on midi channel 1 or 2 on the mx61 and if the layer button is on - foot pedal works ; but if I put it into another channel 3 - 16 The part has to be called up and able to be played by the mx keyboard or the pedal will not affect it ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 15, 2013 @ 05:49 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Its simple you have to be actively playing the MIDI channel to control it. In order to play the sound with Keys you understand - well controllers work the same way.

Get a FC pedal for the keyboard you are transmitting from, period. Basic MIDI 101.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 15, 2013 @ 06:29 AM
raylamatrice
Joined  10-04-2013

I have that Yamaha F C-7
Well I am actively playing on the midi channel triggered from my other keyboard that has 4 active zones each on a different mid channel. And I have quite a bit of experience with Midi I used to program the entire repertoire for the band that I was in for 30 plus years - using Cake walk older versions of cubase etc. I have never encountered this problem before because the rotary feature is new to me.  Using the computer , I could assign controllers to different midi channels and when the sequencer got to that time and part it did what it was supposed to do.  So what you are telling me is incorrect !  I am actively playing the midi channel! Im just not physically playing it on the mx. I am playing it on Midi channel 3 from another keyboard which is triggering the organ sound on midi channel 3 just not responding to the foot pedal for some reason unless I move my hand and select the part on the mx to midi channel 3 and PHYSICALLY play THE MX Then and only then will the foot pedal work and turn on the rotary function.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 15, 2013 @ 06:32 AM
raylamatrice
Joined  10-04-2013

All I am asking now is this:
Is it possible to trigger the Rotary from the foot pedal YAMAHA F-C7
on a different midi channel that is actively on the mx keyboard at the time not including the other midi channels that it may be assigned to - Or should I just always put the organ on midi channel 1 or 2 since that seems to be the only way that I can get the pedal to respond.?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 15, 2013 @ 06:41 AM
raylamatrice
Joined  10-04-2013

CORRECTION:
!  I am actively playing the midi channel! Im just not physically playing it on the mx. I am playing it on Midi channel 3 from another keyboard which is triggering the organ sound on midi channel 3 just not responding to the foot pedal for some reason unless I move my hand and select the part on the mx to midi channel 3 and PHYSICALLY play THE MX OR Play from the other keyboard on midi channel 3 Then and only then will the foot pedal work and turn on the rotary function. It seems that the sound / tone has to be actively on the mx keyboard at the time to work - If that is the case, I will just always assign organ to midi 1 or 2 - but the problem is that in this particular application I was using performance 5 ROCK and I wanted the lead guitar to be present on the mx keyboard on midi channel 1 so that I can play leads - if I put organ on 2 I would have to layer it in order to get the Leslie effect from the foot pedal, but that would destroy the effect of the solo lead guitar sound - so I guess I will just have to live with the Leslie rotary always on fast speed on midi channel 3 for this particular application unless there is anyway around this challenge ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2014 @ 10:42 PM
Robshi
Total Posts:  2
Joined  04-10-2014

Hi all

First post here. I’ve been trying to change performances on my mx49 by pressing a key on my maudio oxygen 88 controller. Plan is to set up the oxygen buttons to select commonly used performances for easy switching mid gig.

I got the info supplied from a very helpful guy at Yamaha but unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be working so I thought I’d try here for advice.

So if I am understanding things correctly I need to configure the button to send a combined program change, msb and lsb message?

Settings to be…

MSB = 063
LSB = 080
PC = 0-127

So to select the mx performance number 006 for example should I be configuring as follows

MSB = 063
LSB = 080
PC = 006

Or am I missing something?

I can locate the instructions for programming the maudio device if helpful but didn’t want to clutter things up here initially.

Many thanks

Rob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2014 @ 05:10 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

There are one hundred twent-eight Program Changes in a Bank. They are listed 0-127. Because when you ask a computer to count, it properly starts at zero.

If you were to list programs, like most people, you start your count at 1.  So does the synthesizer.

So PC = 006 will recall the seventh Program.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2014 @ 06:31 AM
Robshi
Total Posts:  2
Joined  04-10-2014

Yeah I realised that I’d made that mistake after I posted my question but the specific performance isn’t the issue as I just chose 006 as a random choice.

Essentially what I’m asking is how to program a button on an external midi keyboard to change the whole performance on the mx.

So (remembering that the mx starts on a zero) to tell the mx to change to performance 006 should the following message be sent?

MSB = 063
LSB = 080
PC = 005

Secondly I’m new to using program change messages (just used to using midi to send note information so no programming taking place just plug in leads and hit keys usually). In the case above what is the msb and lsb actually telling the mx. (I always like to know why something works rather than simply doing something blind).

Cheers for your help

Rob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 09:44 PM
jazzmann620
Total Posts:  8
Joined  04-08-2013

I think you all are trying to make something simple into rocket science. It’s easy enough to just change performances on the MX itself and then control parameters of the current performance via whatever controller you use. My use may be simple but I use a 49 key controller to trigger a second channel so I can play any 2 of the 16 sounds in the performance. One from the mx and one from the controller. I then set each of the 8 faders to control the volume of midi channel 1-8 and the 8 knobs to control the volume of midi channels 9-16.

[ Ignore ]