mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Xs versus xf"

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 05:58 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

I’ve been an xf owner for a couple years and have numerous sound libraries, the Total Melas collection and wave editor.  I am purchasing an XS6 to gig out with and while I know the file formats are different, is there any overlap with regard to files that might feel shared or converted between the two keyboards? 

I’d love to use libraries I currently own

Also, can master setups, patterns, songs be swapped from an xf to xs. 

Just looking to see if I have to treat this “new” xs as an independent unit and not sharing files with the xf.
Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 07:57 PM
djnoah
Total Posts:  42
Joined  05-05-2008

I havent owned an XS beofre but

this i know for sure.. MOXF is a better option for you in-terms of file compatibility and voices when you have a motif XF in your house and you feel its heaiver

Motif xs is a subset of XF and you might be missing a lot of features..

my 1 cent

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2014 @ 03:13 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The XF is backwards compatible with the XS - that is, any XS files can be loaded to an XF.

Unfortunately, the reverse is not the case. No XF files can be used directly with an XS. The main reason is that the XF has Waveforms and Arps that aren’t found in an XF. Of course, the XF also has numerous of them in common with the XS, but Yamaha changed the numbers so that most don’t agree when comparing the XS and XF. I previously created tables that compare and “translate” the Waveform and Arp numbers for the two Motifs.

See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460385/
--and--
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460403/

While I don’t own the Melas software, it’s my understanding that it can be used to convert XF files so that they can be used on an XS, within limits set by anything not found on the XS.

Also, some libraries were designed to be completely compatible with both the XS and XF. Any files that have a 0 (zero) as the middle character in their file extension are actually XS files, although loadable to either an XS or XF. I’d suggest checking your libraries for files with X0A, X0V, etc., extensions - those can be used directly with the XS.

Of course, generic files such as WAV or SMF (.MID) can be used with either Motif. Naturally, the XS might not have a Voice you’ve used in the XF, because it’s based on Waveforms or Arps that aren’t available.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2014 @ 06:40 AM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Thank you.  John Melas also replied and indicated his total librarian (for XS) can convert to XF format and if there are waveforms involved, his Waveform editor can handle it. 

As for DJNoah reply, I did investigate the MOXF, but I still view the used XS as an upgrade over the MOXF in terms of its over capabilities and “likeness” to the XF.  I’m usually wrong about something every day, and this may be today’s example! Hehehe.  I do like the layout of the xf, screen size, and for $800 I figured it’s not a bad deal. 
I also use an MX, which weighs 1.4 pounds......(feels like it), and it’s sound engine is pretty decent coming out of a stagepas 500.

Correction :  I do like the layout of the XS (I mistyped above)

[ Ignore ]