mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Those white sequencer transport buttons"

Posted on: April 05, 2014 @ 06:36 PM
Jer76
Total Posts:  9
Joined  03-24-2013

hi there, does anybody knows how to remove these white buttons? i want to give them a good soak in a cleaning solution as they are yellowed and dirty. Are these buttons attached like those on a computer keyboard whereby i can just pluck them out? thanks in advanced.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2014 @ 09:27 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
Jer76 - 05 April 2014 06:36 PM

hi there, does anybody knows how to remove these white buttons? i want to give them a good soak in a cleaning solution as they are yellowed and dirty. Are these buttons attached like those on a computer keyboard whereby i can just pluck them out? thanks in advanced.

Dirt on buttons can be cleaned with one of those computer screen cleaning kits. Spray some of the cleaner onto the provided cloth, wipe the buttons with it.

Discolored plastic can not be cleaned. Ever. Speaking as a keyboard technician who has done major worldwide tours for the last three years, trust me on that. If it bothers you enough, you’ll have to replace the buttons. Call an authorized Yamaha service center to have that done.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 03:12 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Jer76 - 05 April 2014 06:36 PM

Unfortunately, the buttons can’t be removed without disassembling the keyboard.

Although you might not be able to get them completely back to their original color, they can definitely be improved. If anyone wants to investigate how, Google “solution clean yellowed plastic” (without the quotation marks). Verify first that what’s suggested is safe.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 11:47 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

You can try following instructions you find on the internet about cleaning yellow plastic.
Most of what you’ll read pertains to things like white plastic lawn furniture or laundry baskets, not small plastic parts like buttons. I’ve read some articles that suggest using bleach - I can tell you 1000% that is NEVER what you should do.

Plastic usually (not always, but usually) yellows because its chemical composition changes with age. That’s why you can’t rub, scrape, or wash the yellow off.

Personally, and from direct experience, I recommend just replacing the transport buttons.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2014 @ 01:51 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

It’s true that new buttons could be purchased from Yamaha. In the US, you can order them here:
https://www.yamaha24x7.com/YamahaOMS/EasyOrder/QuickOrder.aspx

Part numbers, descriptions, and pricing:
WA65600R BUTTON W_PLAY MOTIF ES6 $3.66
WA65610R BUTTON W_REC MOTIF ES6 $2.16
WA65620R BUTTON W_STOP $1.78
WA65630R BUTTON W_FF MOTIF ES6 $2.52
WA65640R BUTTON W_TOP MOTIF ES6 $2.16
WB17450R BUTTON W_REW MOTIF ES6 $3.68

Plus shipping charges. (Before anyone asks - yes, those are the parts for the XS - they were first used on the ES.)

It’s also true that chlorine bleach shouldn’t be used.

However, the “OXY” products (and some techniques that have been learned) that weren’t available several years ago have made cleaning certain things that were previously difficult to do much more practical now. Whether it’s worth bothering versus buying new is the decision that has to be made.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2014 @ 04:43 AM
Jer76
Total Posts:  9
Joined  03-24-2013

thanks for the helpful replies, if i were to order the new buttons from Yamaha, I’ll still have to bring my XS in for a qualified tech to change it? since its not removable from the front panel by plucking them out?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2014 @ 05:02 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Jer76 - 07 April 2014 04:43 AM

thanks for the helpful replies, if i were to order the new buttons from Yamaha, I’ll still have to bring my XS in for a qualified tech to change it? since its not removable from the front panel by plucking them out?

Yes, unless you have good mechanical skills and the XS Service Manual (which gives disassembly procedures), I would suggest that it be done by someone with experience.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ If I am using AD/Input Jacks for monitors....?
Next Topic:

my new motif xs ››