mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Roland Amps?"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 02:10 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Hey cmayle,
I guess I’ll forever be regarded as the Roland KC snob, what a drag. I can level the playing field however as I currently have a Peavey Basic 50 wired up to my Fender Rhodes at home. Thankfully, the amp was free.
My lone single review of a product associated with this forum bit back hard, and despite that I will share my views trusting that you realize my opinions and tastes are often mocked by many who know me.
I play Rock. Loud. I don’t play foyers in country clubs. I played on a set of JBL 4691b’s for better than 20 years. Very rugged and durable, short on fidelity. When loaded with E140’s they approached 38Hz in the low spectrum, maybe high 40’s when loaded with E130’s. Either case provided a loss of low end or mids. Careful EQ yielded some relief and they served me well. I should mention they weigh in at 110 lbs each. Plus the amp rack.
I auditioned all of the other makes of speakers and was not satisfied. When I looked up a pair of DXR’s, they were out of stock for miles around. I took this as a sign of their popularity, and ordered a set out of CA., sight unheard. I chose the 15’s mostly due to the 49Hz stated rating. Quite often I’ve found the specs don’t measure up and I wanted to err on the side of caution. I also hoped this would negate the sub issue. I received the speakers and was astounded. Excellent response at all volume levels. Full rich sound through the entire spectrum. No problem with the bottom end and I have no doubt the 12’s would have suited me just as well. I use the speakers in floor monitor position tucked in on each side of me. They don’t take up much room, so the dimensions didn’t rattle me. There is a bit of price difference in the models however. I’d like to hear the 10’s. I have little doubt they’d serve you well. I’d say the stated hertz rating from Yamaha may be on the conservative side, or at best they’ve managed a way to make it seem that way.  I no longer have an aversion to Class D amps and I will never use the power these put out. Nice to have if you need it though. I can’t imagine you’d be unhappy with a set.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 05:10 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
stoneb3 - 08 November 2013 02:10 PM

...Excellent response at all volume levels. Full rich sound through the entire spectrum. No problem with the bottom end and I have no doubt the 12’s would have suited me just as well. I use the speakers in floor monitor position tucked in on each side of me. They don’t take up much room, so the dimensions didn’t rattle me. There is a bit of price difference in the models however. I’d like to hear the 10’s. I have little doubt they’d serve you well. I’d say the stated hertz rating from Yamaha may be on the conservative side, or at best they’ve managed a way to make it seem that way.  I no longer have an aversion to Class D amps and I will never use the power these put out. Nice to have if you need it though. I can’t imagine you’d be unhappy with a set.

Stone

I would never use all the power they put out either, but my experience is that a loafing amp/speaker setup does a way better job with nuance and clarity than a straining rig.

I played through (1) DXR12 for a while at a store, but one speaker doesn’t really make for a viable stereo rig test.

I would love to be able to get “the sound” with smaller cabs like the 10’s for tight stage arrangements, but a thumping low end is important to the broad range of frequencies that a keyboard rig puts out.  That is why I am wondering how the 10’s might be in comparison to the 15’s in that department, as adding a sub is a substantial step.

There is less than 10hz frequency response @ the low end between all (4) of the DXR units on paper, but only hearing lets you know if that low range really has it going on.

I have found that local stores with demo stock only have the 8’s and the 12’s available for in-store listening.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2014 @ 08:32 PM
Cary
Total Posts:  15
Joined  02-12-2014
okdk - 27 August 2013 02:07 PM

I bought a Roland KC550 which was highly recommended at Guitar Center and hated it.  I couldn’t wait to get rid of it.  I now use QSC K10’s with a small mixer and it sounds great.

Hello okdk, I’m interested in your K10 live set up.  I am deciding on the QSC’s,
after a problem with the Yamaha DXR10’s.  A Mackie 402VLZ4 is on the way, after a problem with a DG102, to run them as my monitor and side fill.
What is your live set up?  Do you use both as your primary amp, or as a monitor/amp.  What mixer do you use?  Are you using a DI, or straight through the mixer into the QSC’s ?  Did you demo both the 10’s and the 12’s?
Thanks in advance,
Cary

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Boy, do I need some help here from performers.
Next Topic:

MOX8 as a midi controller ››