mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording via digital out?"

Posted on: February 05, 2009 @ 11:15 PM
musiklyrik
Total Posts:  29
Joined  08-27-2008

My external firewire soundcard (Quatafire) has s-/p-dif in and outs on it´s rear side.

Is it possible to record directly via Motif´s digital out to the soundcard´s s/p-dif in, and by this create a audio track in the sequenser?

Is Motif´s digital out a s/p-dif connection?

I use garageband with the soundcard

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 05:54 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Re: Recording via digital out?

Absolutely.  I do it all the time… Works great.  But there’s a few things you need to know:

1> Yes, the MO-RACK output is S/PDIF.  You can use EITHER the OPTICAL or COAXIAL (depending on your outboard interface); they’re both outputting the identical signal.  You can even use them simultaneously if you need to go to two different systems, perhaps.  Both Outputs are active FULL TIME, so there’s nothing to set in the MO-RACK to “enable” them.

2> You need to set your Quatafire to EXTERNAL SYNC or CLOCK on the S/PDIF and verify that it’s in sync with the MO (I don’t know the Quatafire, so check the manual to see how this is done.)

3> The Volume Control on the panel has NO effect on the volume output via the S/PDIFs.

4> Only the MAIN OUTs are sent via S/PDIF, not the assignable subs.

5> If you’re using the COAX, make sure you’re using the correct type of Coax Cable (an A/V cable is not the correct impedence and can create errors in the digital path.  A/V cables are usually 50ohm and S/PDIF uses 75ohm.).  Now, that official party line stated, I use good quality 50ohm cables and they work just fine in my setup...and they’re a heck of a lot less expensive than S/PDIF-certified cables…

[ Ignore ]