mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "question on slicing and loading a sample"

Posted on: January 24, 2009 @ 11:30 AM
fido94
Total Posts:  62
Joined  08-04-2002

I’m trying to slice samples from a cd that I have.

- When I slice the sample, it is only bringing the sound from the left channel. How do I slice both right and left or even better, do I have the option to slice each separately? Please note that the sample contains two distinct percussion instruments, each sounds from a different channel but they play together.

- When I load a sample into a pattern, it loads at double the speed of the pattern tempo. Slowing down the tempo doesn’t seem to have an effect. How do I get the sample to play at the same tempo as the pattern?

- If I load a sample that produces sounds from one channel (say the right), what can I do on the motif to have it sound from right and left and is that even possible?

Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2009 @ 01:54 PM
lokness42
Total Posts:  59
Joined  12-04-2003

Re: question on slicing and loading a sample

i don’t know what you are doing wrong but....you got to have both left and right connected. also you have to find the tempo of the sample.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2009 @ 04:33 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

If it’s a stereo sample with sounds coming from hard left to hard right, when you slice the panning is unaffected. If you need the sounds to come from both channels convert the sample to mono before slicing.

You need to tell the Motif the tempo and length (in measures) of the sample.  This can be done in the [INTEGRATED SAMPLING][F1]TRIM->[SF3]SET END page.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 10:46 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

- When I slice the sample, it is only bringing the sound from the left channel. How do I slice both right and left or even better, do I have the option to slice each separately? Please note that the sample contains two distinct percussion instruments, each sounds from a different channel but they play together.

You don’t mention which Motif you have but since they all work similarly in this - it does not matter. All the Motifs are capable of slicing a stereo sample - so that is not the issue. Make sure that your sample is listed as stereo.
Press [INTEGRATED SAMPLING]
Press [EDIT]
You should arrive on the WAVEFORM Select screen where when you call up the samples WAVEFORM number 0001~1024 it will identify if the sample is MONO or STEREO.

Since you say it only comes out of the left speaker, I would assume that it is something to do with your analog connections from/to your sound system. Most likely you connected the output of a stereo device (like your CD player to just a single input on the back of the Motif… and you had the MONO/STEREO parameter set to STEREO… This could cause the right channel to go completely missing. To sample in Stereo you need to connect to both the left and right input of the Motif. If you only connect to one input, simply set the sample MONO/STEREO = “L+R mono”

- When I load a sample into a pattern, it loads at double the speed of the pattern tempo. Slowing down the tempo doesn’t seem to have an effect. How do I get the sample to play at the same tempo as the pattern?

That is what the sample SLICE function allows you to do… But in order for the sample Slice function to work, your sample must be a known length. If your sample is 1 measure you must tell the SLICE fucntion it is 1 measure. If you sample is 2 measures and you tell the SLICE function it is only 1 measure your Sliced waveform will attempt to play those 2 measures in the space of 1 for the rest of the sequencer. This is how your sample is now twice as fast.

when you setup the SLICE function you did not tell the truth about the number of MEASURES.

- If I load a sample that produces sounds from one channel (say the right), what can I do on the motif to have it sound from right and left and is that even possible?

One of the Integrated Sampling > JOBs is Stereo to Mono
Press [INTEGRATED SAMPLING]
Press [JOB]
Press [F1] KEYBANK
Find the Job called Stereo to Mono.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha a 3000 v1 or v2?Differences?